Author Topic: Do You Keep a Carded Set of TVC?  (Read 339 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Do You Keep a Carded Set of TVC?
« on: July 8, 2024, 09:30 PM »
I personally am not really a carded collector at all, but since the VOTC days…continuing to present day…I’ve kept up with the OT characters. It branched off to prequels, sequels, and Mandoverse stuff as well for a bit…but I’ve since sold those off. I do really like having the OT ones, probably primarily out of nostalgia, but they just keep getting put in a tote, that is in storage. Another one of those “some day” things, but honestly I can’t ever see having a wall (or let’s face it, at this point, a room) full of carded figures.

I guess I’m trying to decide if I want to keep these or start selling them off. It is one of those things where I do like having them, but we also have some large vet bills, and this would speed along the process of pay off. Just curious if any of you have been continuing on with a carded set (in addition to loose), or if space (or figure prices) has slowed that down. Just another crazy collector, first world problem 😉

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Keep a Carded Set of TVC?
« Reply #1 on: July 8, 2024, 09:43 PM »
I sold all my carded stuff around 2007 and never looked back.

Some of those early TVC figures get huge money, if you need cash and aren’t determined to keep them…

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #2 on: July 8, 2024, 11:13 PM »
I always bought at least two of a figure to keep one on card, would by more openers for army builders.  Then I got my first dedicated collection room and realized I could either hang a lot (not all) of my carded figures on the wall or have actual displays of loose figures fighting battles, etc.

I do keep some figures on card, but they have to be special ones like my Toy Fair Vader, Theater Edition Luke, Haslab figures, etc.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: July 9, 2024, 02:42 AM »
Not sure how it happened... but yes.  I sold or opened most of my old carded collection (all lines) back in 2010-2011 just before TVC started, with the exception of my VOTC/VTSC and a few other random exclusives. I was moving in with my then GF-now wife, and I decided to return to collecting almost exclusively loose to save space. When TVC 1.0 ended and the 5POA lines took over I took a pretty full hiatus from collecting for a few years until 2020-2021 when I got back into collecting during COVID. I was still intending to collect mainly loose, and it did start that way... There came a point though where I was a bit behind on opening some recent purchases and had a few extras... I was on Zoom calls everyday and had a big empty wall in my office behind me, in what is supposed to be my temporary collection room. So I decided to throw up my extras and my backlog of openers behind me to fill the space. I loved the look and one thing kind of led to another and I started buying duplicates to keep carded again. So now I now do 1 loose & 1 carded of each figure + army builders/extras of some figures. I also weirdly keep one cardback (with the bubble cleanly cut off) for each release. Those I have in a box for some reason but would love to do a few flip binders for them eventually. I have no plans to sell the loose collection, or the carded collection, but in the future if my habits ever change the carded would be the first to go.

I have just about all of TVC 2.0 carded, and a few TVC 1.0 figures that I had from the original run. I haven't gone back to pick up too many 1.0 figures yet due to the price but plan on slowly backfilling what isn't rereleased. I currently have 274 carded TVC figures total with about half on display on the wall in my temporary office and the rest in storage totes. I have been rotating them a bit to keep the lineup fresh.

My wife is still married to me and hasn't killed me yet...
"This is the way."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 9, 2024, 09:09 AM »
I've been keeping a carded collection of TVC since the line re-launched back in 2018.  Some of those to get autographed, and the rest just to have.

My other carded figures are scattershot.  There's a lot of POTF2, Episode I, POTJ and SAGA.  But after that?  It was a piecemeal thing because carded collections take up so much more space.  But even now as I go through a lot of old stuff?  The carded collections bring me less joy than they used to.  And I think I'm going to gradually start selling those off with the exception of the VOTC, VTSC and TVC figures.

I was in some difficult financial straights for a while and sold of most of my TVC 1.0 carded collection.  And that did bring in some much needed cash.  I couldn't believe what the SDCC exclusive carbon freeze chamber brought in.  Evidently, the peak time to do this was during the pandemic.  Secondary market prices soared at that time because people felt like they needed a hobby.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: July 9, 2024, 10:34 AM »
I guess I’m trying to decide if I want to keep these or start selling them off.

My advice?  Pick a carded focus, keep those, and sell the rest.  It's the best of both worlds - you get some fun carded figures, it's not as much work/$/space to keep up the smaller focus, and you get some money to spend on the other things in life by selling the excess.

I have my "Wall of Han Solo" with just carded Han figures displayed.  It's a nice way to get a flavoring of all the various cardbacks they've done over time but limits how much money/space I devote to carded figures.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 9, 2024, 12:05 PM »
I guess I’m trying to decide if I want to keep these or start selling them off.

My advice?  Pick a carded focus, keep those, and sell the rest.  It's the best of both worlds - you get some fun carded figures, it's not as much work/$/space to keep up the smaller focus, and you get some money to spend on the other things in life by selling the excess.

I have my "Wall of Han Solo" with just carded Han figures displayed.  It's a nice way to get a flavoring of all the various cardbacks they've done over time but limits how much money/space I devote to carded figures.

Totally agree Jeff.  I've done a "one from each line", which is generally a trooper of some sort.  There are still a lot of them, but its allowed me to stop keeping one carded of everything (I've got one loose).   There is just too much stuff to try and keep one carded and one loose, or even display a large portion of carded figures. 

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 9, 2024, 03:50 PM »
I'm a loose collector. Tried 1-loose-1-carded in the early POTF2 days but I found myself wanting to open the carded duplicates weeks later. Still have a few carded figures because I just haven't gotten around to opening them or have no desire/need to touch the figure or accessories like the Haslab Yakface and coin.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2024, 06:23 PM »
Thank you everyone for the advice, I’ve actually been thinking of doing something similar to what Jeff mentioned, just hanging onto a smaller subset. I’ve gone through them all, sorted them out, and just have to let go. Honestly they are just sitting in totes, and I can’t see a scenario where I’m going to have them all out displayed on a wall or whatever. I just don’t have that kind of space. Plus, hopefully someone else that is more interested can get use out of them.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2024, 01:33 AM »
I have been playing with the idea of building a nice-looking pegboard or carded display shelf of sorts to allow me to easily rotate what I have up on the wall and store 3x4 as many figures in the same amount of wall space.
"This is the way."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2024, 04:15 PM »
I have been playing with the idea of building a nice-looking pegboard or carded display shelf of sorts to allow me to easily rotate what I have up on the wall and store 3x4 as many figures in the same amount of wall space.

Something like this might work.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2024, 04:44 PM »

Something like this might work.

That is almost exactly what I used in my carded display setup.  It holds an acrylic case perfectly.  Here is the one that I ordered -

I purchased a pile of these (they're offered in a few different lengths) and created about eight shelves full of figures.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2024, 05:09 PM by Dave »