Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 350418 times)

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #930 on: June 25, 2009, 01:48 PM »
I think efranks is right about New Moon being a sleeper for the year.  My wife is way into the books/first movie, and that fanbase in general is pretty enthusiastic.  I don't think its going to crack the top three, but top 5 is a distinct possibility.

Well, if they read the whole series, then I can't believe people would put too much into anything Twilight-related. The first movie/book were great, but overall that was the worst series ever.

I thought they were all interesting. And the millions of others who read all the books probably agree on some level too.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: June 25, 2009, 01:58 PM »
I think efranks is right about New Moon being a sleeper for the year.  My wife is way into the books/first movie, and that fanbase in general is pretty enthusiastic.  I don't think its going to crack the top three, but top 5 is a distinct possibility.

Well, if they read the whole series, then I can't believe people would put too much into anything Twilight-related. The first movie/book were great, but overall that was the worst series ever.

I thought they were all interesting. And the millions of others who read all the books probably agree on some level too.

Did you read "Breaking Dawn"? Worst. End. Ever. So many plot holes, a cop out by the author.... Horrible! (and I'm not the only one who's said this. Several teen librarians that I work with were also appalled by it. (But this belongs in the books thread).

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: June 25, 2009, 02:59 PM »
I haven't read the Twilight series (but I probably will at some point) so I can't speak to the books, but I don't think that necessarily has to kill the box office for the films.  One of the reasons Titanic did such good business was repeat viewing by teenage girls interested in the love story.  This generation's teen girls are proably going to do the same thing with the Twilight movies, just not on as grand of a scale.

Besides, how often does a film stick 100% to the book it's based on?  If one of the novels in the series has terrible plot holes or just a bad ending, it doesn't mean the film won't fix it (possibly while ruining other things, if history is any indication).

I don't think the November release for Twilight is going to hurt that film.  Most movies, as was mentioned, do their biggest box office take in the first 2-3 weeks.  There are 2 holidays for Twilight to pull in extra numbers from when some of its audience will be on school vacation.  Wolverine and ST did well and they came out in May when there were 4 huge movies to steal viewers from each other.

I will say this, I think 2009 has been a hell of a year for movies and there is still a lot left with Potter, District 9, 9, 2012, GI Joe (maybe), Twilight and a few others I'm forgetting right now.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: June 25, 2009, 03:41 PM »
This does belong in the book thread, but I did read it and I don't think anyone thinks Meyer is a great author, but that doesn't mean the books weren't interesting and I guarantee it won't be a bomb at the box office.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Biffette

• Jedi Initiate
  • You're a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: July 12, 2009, 02:36 AM »
I just got back from seeing Bruno. It was very funny! I had read on the internet that it was quite graphic with lots of Bruno-nudity, but there really wasn't so much. The most unusual graphic stuff (what Rolling Stone refers to) is in the beginning, and then there is some *extremely* humorous and short-lived Bruno-genitalia, and then it pretty much stops being graphic at all. Funny film.  
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 02:36 AM by Biffette »

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: July 15, 2009, 12:17 PM »
I can't find where I saw it, but someone recommended the movie Once, and I just gotta say that I totally agree. A very entertaining movie, and probably one of the best music films I've ever seen. Thanks for the recommendation!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #936 on: July 15, 2009, 12:23 PM »
I can't find where I saw it, but someone recommended the movie Once, and I just gotta say that I totally agree. A very entertaining movie, and probably one of the best music films I've ever seen. Thanks for the recommendation!
I love that movie, the soundtrack is on constant rotation on my iPod

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: July 15, 2009, 12:28 PM »
I agree. Enjoyed the movie and music (Once). I saw the group play when they came last year. They're quite entertaining and Glen is really engaging with the audience.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: July 18, 2009, 10:45 AM »
I saw the Hurt Locker last night. Excellent movie. I highly recommend it.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: July 20, 2009, 02:55 PM »
I saw the Hurt Locker last night. Excellent movie. I highly recommend it.

I've been itching to see that movie, but I guess Raleigh isn't an important enough city to warrant release over here. In any case, I'm eager to see it when it does make it to wide release. I'd even settle for the DVD when it comes out. It looks very well done.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: July 24, 2009, 08:50 PM »
Remember that TRON clip from SDCC last year? A year later we see it again & much clearer.

The Tron Legacy Grid VFX Concept Test

Opening November 2010.  8)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 08:52 PM by DSJ™ »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #941 on: July 31, 2009, 03:28 PM »
The top ten of the year (so far), according to Box Office Mojo:

1   Star Trek   Par.   $240,823,706
2   Up   BV   $229,059,138
3   Monsters Vs. Aliens   P/DW   $195,536,087
4   X-Men Origins: Wolverine   Fox   $177,364,794
5   Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian   Fox   $157,349,843
6   The Hangover   WB   $156,628,400
7   Fast and Furious   Uni.   $154,900,260
8   Paul Blart: Mall Cop   Sony   $146,336,178
9   Taken   Fox   $144,977,147
10   Angels & Demons   Sony    $128,479,731

The current top ten, over a month later:

1   Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen   P/DW   $382,541,324
2   Up   BV   $284,578,994
3   Star Trek   Par.   $254,255,507
4   The Hangover   WB   $249,808,203
5   Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince   WB   $233,920,753
6   Monsters Vs. Aliens   P/DW   $197,863,834
7   X-Men Origins: Wolverine   Fox   $179,556,048
8   Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs   Fox   $176,542,789
9   Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian   Fox   $173,454,677
10   Fast and Furious   Uni.   $155,064,265

Hangover made almost another $100m since the last update.  Amazing.  Good sign for future "adult", R-rated comedies.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: August 5, 2009, 01:05 PM »
Alien prequel appears to be a go with Ridley Scott directing:

Variety Article
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: August 6, 2009, 11:01 AM »
That sounds promising. I'd love to see that franchise get back on track.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: August 13, 2009, 06:59 PM »
Anyone seeing District 9 this weekend?  I'm looking forward to it.  This review got me pretty hyped.   8)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN