Author Topic: The Clone Wars - Season One Discussion Thread  (Read 82538 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Clone Wars Series Discussion Thread
« Reply #135 on: November 23, 2008, 02:44 AM »
I just watched the episode via an online link, I too thought I would not like it as Jar Jar was in it but it was fun to watch. I agree that an amimated Jar Jar works really well, no doubt we will see more of him.

Offline Phantom-like Menace

• Youngling
  • The hammer is my penis.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 23, 2008, 08:18 PM »
I think the episode suffered from not being straight-up comedy. Kevin Rubio's involvement made me think it would be laugh a minute. I didn't really smile at anything, let alone laugh. I don't think it was even intended to be funny per se, but just have some funny moments. I thought it was going to be funny with maybe some serious moments.
I hate softgoods!!!

You're making me apathetic. You won't like me when I'm apathetic. I get big, green, and don't give a ****.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #137 on: November 24, 2008, 12:42 AM »
I didn't mind this episode, but it's probably my least favorite so far...  I think a Jar Jar episode is good to slip in though, as long as this is more or less "it".  He's definitely more tolerable as a cartoon and in this series/context, than he was in E1.  It also sets him up as basically being a retard being taken care of by others...  more or less.

I thought Padme was pretty slick in the episode, and I thought 3PO had the most "humor" to him.  I did like Jar Jar calling him threeso though.  That had me laughing some.  I'm curious how the capture of Gunray plays into the whole storyline now as well.

It was a nice little stand-alone episode, but it's not near as good as Rookies, or the Yoda episode.  Those were amazing and still had humor. 

Oh and I liked the thing Jar Jar made friends with.  I thought that was a funny little twist.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 24, 2008, 09:26 AM »
Like about everyone else, I enjoyed this episode too.  I also think that Jar Jar works pretty well in the animated form, and Padme and 3PO were both enjoyable in this episode too.  Actually, over the years I find I don't mind Jar Jar nearly as much - and I think this cartoon episode showed that he could have been more tolerable in the movies (TPM in particular, since his role is much smaller in the others) if they would have used him a little more wisely (and less).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #139 on: November 24, 2008, 11:34 AM »
I actually have always disliked Anakin in E1 more than Jar Jar, and that's just the piss poor acting job that the kid did.  There's tons of competent child actors and Lucas went with an "unknown" more or less who stunk up the flick...  Add in Lucas' ****** writing/lines and you're pretty well hosed on getting anything positive out of him for the film.

To this day E1 is the most worthless of the films for a wide variety of reasons.  I can watch for the good it has in it, but it's still pretty bad.  The animated series trumps it by far, and I'd say it's ahead of Episode 2 as well right now.  It's maybe never going to reach E3 quality, but it'll come real close I believe.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 25, 2008, 12:11 PM »
The preview is up on the Official Site for the next new episode (next week I believe), Cloak of Darkness.  It looks like it will focus on Luminara and Ahsoka, and Assaj's attempt to rescue Nute Gunray.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #141 on: November 25, 2008, 12:48 PM »
Separated at birth?

McQuarrie Concept Painting vs Sea Monster from "Bombad Jedi"

« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 12:49 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 25, 2008, 12:54 PM »
The Episode Guide for Bombad Jedi does mention that the Kwazel Maw is indeed based on Ralph McQuarrie's Dagobah Swamp Slug design.  Kind of cool.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #143 on: November 25, 2008, 10:03 AM »
Incredibly cool on the slug, and next week's episode looks fairly badass, and a major contrast from last week's.  They really seem to be aiming for creepy/violent next week.  Assajj is one whacked out bitch.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 3, 2008, 04:38 PM »
Newsarama has a short clip up from this week's episode "Cloak of Darkness".

Offline Phantom-like Menace

• Youngling
  • The hammer is my penis.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 5, 2008, 02:28 AM »
Newsarama has a short clip up from this week's episode "Cloak of Darkness".

The description of the scene is that Unduli gives Padawad (sic) Ahsoka Tano guidance. I saw no guidance (and certainly no "Padawad").
I hate softgoods!!!

You're making me apathetic. You won't like me when I'm apathetic. I get big, green, and don't give a ****.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #146 on: December 5, 2008, 09:49 PM »
Another great episode tonight - maybe one of the best. The lightsaber duels rivaled the prequels and I really liked Luminara's character - kind of a female Qui-Gon in terms of disposition as a master. The Senate Commandos were way cool as was Argyus. I suspected he as was a traitor before the reveal but he met his end quite gruesomely. He deserved to die for that hairstyle alone.

Other highlights:
• The boarding pods - cool how they bored into the hull to release the SBDs
• 327T - a nice nod to the ANH treadwell
• The detention center - straight up Death Star homage
• clone carnage - there were plenty of trooper bodies (and head) piling up in this episode

Overall a very solid episode.
« Last Edit: December 5, 2008, 11:13 PM by Jayson »

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 5, 2008, 10:08 PM »
I liked this episode, but I'm really looking forward to next week.  I've been waiting to see Master Fisto in his animated glory!

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #148 on: December 5, 2008, 10:25 PM »
After the first three waves of figures, I was wondering how Hasbro would keep their line fresh. I got my answer with this week's episode, with the Phase I Gree and the Senate Commandos will make awesome toys if the big H gets around to them.

This was the first time I noticed the violence disclaimer at the beginning and after the commercials. Has that been there for a while?
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #149 on: December 5, 2008, 10:39 PM »
This was the first time I noticed the violence disclaimer at the beginning and after the commercials. Has that been there for a while?

It was present during the past couple episodes, but once the killing was done the following breaks no longer flashed the warning.
« Last Edit: December 6, 2008, 06:38 AM by Jayson »