Author Topic: Ever Sell An Item and Later Regret It?  (Read 1519 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Ever Sell An Item and Later Regret It?
« on: April 8, 2020, 12:18 PM »
Since so many of us have been collecting for a long time, inevitably it seems like you eventually run out of room or change interests - or whatever - and decide to sell something off. Over the years, is there anything you look back on and later think “really wish I would have held onto that”.

Personally I’ve had a few things, although it was for a good reason. Years ago we had one of those stretches where everything was kind of hitting at once with bills, repairs, etc and we needed the extra cash. As much as I regret missing some of that stuff now, it helped us out in a pinch without having to use credit cards and all that. Anyways, here’s a few off the top of my head:

Star Wars Clone Wars (sold most of these actually, kept around 20 of my favorites)

MOTU Classics Scare Glow, Swiftwind, etc. (I kept most of this line, but sold off a lot of the She Ra figures from the subscription, and some of the other high dollar figures. Scare Glow was my biggest regret because I really enjoy toys of that character. Too expensive to reacquire at this point)

Marvel Legends BAF Ronan (A few others as well, but this one is pricey to get a hold of now)

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
Re: Ever Sell An Item and Later Regret It?
« Reply #1 on: April 8, 2020, 12:47 PM »
I've been fortunate and not been in a financial pinch that has forced my hand on selling parts of my collection.

I have sold large chunks of my collection in the past that I invested a ton of time tracking down (12" figures, Titanium, Galactic Heroes, MicroMachines, Action Fleet, etc.), but luckily I've not had any sellers remorse.  I was consciously trying to down size and focus my collection.  I think some of that stuff I sold is really cool.  In particular the box art on the MicroMachines and Action Fleet was super, super cool.  But ultimately I don't have any sellers remorse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 8, 2020, 12:59 PM »
I've still got a bunch, but I sold off a pretty good number of Star Wars vehicles a little over 10 years ago.  I'm not really sure why I did it but it was probably to save space.  Now I wish I still had them, they'd certainly be more expensive to re-buy compared to what I got for them.

Just digging through old photos, the list includes at least:

Droid Tri-Fighter
Hailfire Droid
2 Different Obi-Wan Jedi Starfighters
2 Different Anakin Jedi Starfighters
Plo Koon's Jedi Starfighter
Mace Windu's Jedi Starfighter
Anakin's CW Jedi Starfighter
Maul's (undersized) Sith Infiltrator
An Old proportioned TIE Fighter and one Big Wing TIE Fighter
3 Republic Gunships.  (Regular, Green Deco, Black and white Deco)
2 Droid AAT Tanks
1 POTF AT-AT
An OTC Millennium Falcon
The POTF Slave I
POTF Vader's TIE Fighter
1 TIE Interceptor
1 TIE Bomber
The Red and Blue Deco'd Y-Wing

Most of those I wish I still had these days...

I also had maybe 20 or so vintage figures in their original Kenner baggies.  I sold that lot off for maybe $300... I did like those.

Most things that I've sold I haven't regretted it for a minute though.  The entire carded collection, Unleashed, 12", Micro Machines, Die Cast, prequel LEGO... getting things more focused has been great.
« Last Edit: April 8, 2020, 01:41 PM by Rob »

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 8, 2020, 01:08 PM »
I sold off most of my GI Joe and Transformers collection to a friend a while ago... I had a lot of stuff as a boy but ultimately no place to store when I moved into a house.  I regret selling a lot of that as they held a big spot in my childhood.  I really miss the Night Raven and the Terror Drome and some of the figures, plus Bruticus... so, yeah, I have a bit of seller's remorse there. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 8, 2020, 07:34 PM »

Most things that I've sold I haven't regretted it for a minute though.  The entire carded collection, Unleashed, 12", Micro Machines, Die Cast, prequel LEGO... getting things more focused has been great.

Same here. I’ve unloaded a ton of stuff over the last several years, and continue to do so. Not even for money so much (sometimes just giving it away), more so just wanting to clear things out and streamline. Very rarely have regrets, but every so often there is a figure or two I wish I would have hung onto.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 9, 2020, 12:45 AM »
Lines I got rid of (a ways back) a bunch of and wish I could go back and keep some percentage of: Simpsons, LoTR, Resident Evil, Spawn.

Like Brian I've been happy getting rid a lot of stuff more recently even if for pennies on the dollar just for sake of purging.

I wish I could cut the 12" SW. But whenever I look at them I fall in love again. So many of the non humans are such cool figures. But the real estate they need is insane.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 9, 2020, 10:47 AM »
Well, I just sold a Marvel Legends BAF Galactus for $20 at a toy show a few months ago, then watched the guy I sold it to turn around and sill it for $80 to someone else.  Then just this week I saw a post in another toy group that someone bought one for $130, so yeah I regret selling that one.  I have generally not sold off anything that I wanted back though.  My parents sold off all my Star Wars vehicles in a garage sale when I went to college - I wish I had those originals back, but have since replaced all of them.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today