Author Topic: 2021 HasLab - Black Series Rancor  (Read 14476 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 HasLab Black Series Rancor
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2021, 05:23 PM »
There are 18 days left to fully fund the Rancor.  The increase in the number of backers has been growing very slowly over the past few days.  That slow pace has me thinking that the livestream tomorrow is going to be devoted to pushing the Rancor like crazy.  And Hasbro might reveal the final two stretch goals in the hopes of getting this thing moving. 

But I am left wondering about the differences between TVC collector and Black Series collectors.  There’s definitely some overlap between the two.  But I think that TVC collectors are more inclined to go in on a higher priced item based on previous big ticket items.  Larger items in the Black Series seem to have struggled in comparison.  I think TBS collectors are fine with $20 figures.  But these items over $100 seem like they might be scaring them off. 
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2021, 05:45 PM »
I collect both lines. I am just fine finding space for a barge and Crest that don't have representation otherwise. I'm not ok finding space for a rancor that I have what I consider a more than adequate representation of already. This is just a relatively easy pass for me. It would probably take 4 to 5 unlocked new to BS figures to make me cave.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 05:46 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2021, 07:35 PM »
I'm a member of the MN Toy Posse on Facebook. And what it seems like to me is if you're a 3.75 collector then you're hard-core into Star Wars and have been for a long time. There's then people like me who collect both. Then there's a group that only collects 6" and they like SW but are far from all in on it. They've seen the movies. Like the Mandalorian. And collect Black Series figures because they collect toys in general, i.e. I just read someone say about a post showing a WM with the Koska Reeves figure "I need that blue Boba chick".

So long story short I don't ever see that part of the collecting community spending $350 on a SW toy. Whereas the 3.75 collector will shell out for everything.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 07:37 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2021, 07:59 PM »
After all the shady BS they pulled to get Omicron over the line, I am certain they won’t let the Rancor fail. Especially with all the prior press coverage. They’ll find a way to finesse it in the end. Maybe not all the stretch goals, but it will get made.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2021, 09:45 PM »
what it seems like to me is if you're a 3.75 collector then you're hard-core into Star Wars and have been for a long time. There's then people like me who collect both. Then there's a group that only collects 6" and they like SW but are far from all in on it. They've seen the movies. Like the Mandalorian. And collect Black Series figures because they collect toys in general, i.e. I just read someone say about a post showing a WM with the Koska Reeves figure "I need that blue Boba chick".

So long story short I don't ever see that part of the collecting community spending $350 on a SW toy. Whereas the 3.75 collector will shell out for everything.

I agree 100%. 

Plus, like you said Nick, the fact that a lot of 3.75" collectors already have some version of the Rancor in their collections probably makes this a harder sell at $350 compared to an all-new vehicle like Razor Crest.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2021, 09:46 PM »
I'm a member of the MN Toy Posse on Facebook. And what it seems like to me is if you're a 3.75 collector then you're hard-core into Star Wars and have been for a long time. There's then people like me who collect both. Then there's a group that only collects 6" and they like SW but are far from all in on it. They've seen the movies. Like the Mandalorian. And collect Black Series figures because they collect toys in general, i.e. I just read someone say about a post showing a WM with the Koska Reeves figure "I need that blue Boba chick".

This feels spot-on.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2021, 12:49 AM »
Well said, Nick. I’m a member of Star Wars Collecting and Action Figures on Reddit, and those groups skew younger, and they seem to buy multiple figures from multiple lines. Forums/communities like JD are “old people.”
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2021, 09:04 AM »
Agreed, Nick.  That’s the sentiment I was trying to convey as well.  I just get the feeling that a lot of the Black Series collectors have a more casual relationship with the franchise than a lot of collectors who have been at this for more than a decade. 

And for a lot of the legacy collectors?  I’m still amazed at the level of acrimony that exists regarding the 3.75” scale versus the 6” scale.  It seems like there are even some diehard TVC fans who want this Haslab to fail.  It’s disappointing to see that in the community.

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2021, 11:25 AM »
It would be nice to see a little passion from the Hasbro Star Wars team....I don't know why I get my hopes up with each livestream.

The last two unlocks are Salacious Crumb (carded) and Jedi Luke (Carded).  They are saying the Luke is a new tooled figure, but this has to be the most tone deaf panel ever.  Why no Rancor Keeper?  Why no Oola?  Hell, I think Giran would've been a good choice.  They better announce they are coming down the road if they want people to back this thing!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2021, 11:26 AM »
I just saw the Tier 3 and Tier 4 unlocks.  And I'm really leaning towards passing.

Tier 3 - 16,000 backers - Salacious Crumb on a ROTJ card
Tier 4 - 19,000 backers - Luke Skywalker on a POTF card

Honestly?  That's underwhelming.  Salacious Crumb was offered once in the SDCC Jabba the Hutt exclusive set.  And that figure is also going to be in the upcoming Disney Parks creature multipack.

And seriously, what's going to be new about this version of Jedi Luke?  Because the Walmart exclusive figure in the black and red packaging was actually pretty good.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 11:27 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2021, 11:35 AM »
Tier 3 - 16,000 backers - Salacious Crumb on a ROTJ card
Tier 4 - 19,000 backers - Luke Skywalker on a POTF card

So they wasted the "all-new sculpted figure" on yet another version of Jedi Luke?  ???

I can't believe that Oola or Malakili are not one of the unlocks.  Malakili would have been so easy to put in here and then double-dip the sculpt with a single box release in 2023 for ROTJ 40th anniversary for those who didn't back the rancor.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 02:52 PM by Jeff »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2021, 11:39 AM »
I checked on the number of backers, and it has not climbed very much since the livestream began.  They were around 5,100 the last time I checked.  At one point during the livestream the count was at 5,142.  But it dropped to 5,126.  I wonder if that's people pulling out, or if that's because of credit cards being declined?

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2021, 11:42 AM »
I wonder if that's people pulling out, or if that's because of credit cards being declined?

Cards don't get charged until 12/7 so I doubt it is declines...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 02:52 PM by Jeff »

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2021, 11:46 AM »
I guess they can put this nicely painted Rancor right next to that Cookie Monster that will never get made.

Unless they announce that Malakili and Oola are going to be mainline releases (similar to them announcing that every character that interacted with the Razor Crest was getting made), this thing has a serious chance of not being backed at all...let alone getting any of those tier unlocks without serious shenanigans from Hasbro.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2021, 11:47 AM »
Patrick and crew are morons.  Maybe they're ultimately going to fudge the numbers and it'll get made either way, but this is weak.

I'm more firmly passing than before.

I feel conflicted - I want this to work for those that want it, but I also really want it to fail so they'll stay focused on 3.75" HasLab offerings.