Author Topic: The Book of Boba Fett (SPOILERS possible)  (Read 15307 times)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: The Book of Boba Fett (Spoilers)
« Reply #150 on: February 2, 2022, 11:26 AM »
And that unexpected appearance! Awesome.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #151 on: February 2, 2022, 12:33 PM »
Alright, since this is in the spoilers section, I'm going to post this thought...

Since we saw how Luke is helping Grogu "remember" his past, and we saw the Jedi temple massacre through his eyes, I wonder if he's going to remember Anakin and his betrayal, and become fearful of and/or turn away from Luke as a result?
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 2, 2022, 01:27 PM »
And that unexpected appearance! Awesome.

Which one?!?!?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 2, 2022, 01:46 PM »
Alright, since this is in the spoilers section, I'm going to post this thought...

Since we saw how Luke is helping Grogu "remember" his past, and we saw the Jedi temple massacre through his eyes, I wonder if he's going to remember Anakin and his betrayal, and become fearful of and/or turn away from Luke as a result?

I don't think so. As far as Jedi go and being fearful of them, he bonded with Ahsoka and saw Jedi die defending the temple. As for training with the son of man who led the massacre, my initial thoughts are Grogu doesn't know Anakin is Luke's father. More importantly, I believe Grogu felt the good force vibes from Luke. It was his choice not to train with Ahsoka but he freely went with Luke (with a little help from R2).

I understand why it was done, but still can't help but feel Luke was a prick for what he did.  :'(

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 2, 2022, 01:56 PM »
Star Wars just went into full on Marvel story telling mode.  I can't wait to see how this is going to go.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 2, 2022, 08:04 PM »
Still interesting that everyone walks everywhere.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #156 on: February 2, 2022, 11:19 PM »
Amazing episode.  I love all the set up for the Season one finale and seeing Marshall Raylan Givens Cobb Vanth was pretty cool.

Cad. *******. Bane.  He looked awesome in live action!

I liked seeing the Luke/Grogu/Ahsoka scenes.  I have a feeling we'll be seeing little Grogu wielding that lightsaber wearing his Beskar chain mail!

Prediction for next week:  We see Boba Fett and crew defeat the Pykes, but a post credit scene of Mok Shaiz with whoever has been pulling their strings.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 2, 2022, 11:37 PM »

I thought the same thing - especially the blue guy walking across the desert.  It was bad ass when he walked into town, but a little silly when he left with no ride.

Love all the new/returning characters brought to life in this episode!  They've done a really good job tying in characters from all over the SW universe to give it that cohesive feel.

I did not like the choice presented to Grogu at the end though.  I understand the symbolism, but why can't he have both things?  Obi-Wan wore armor during the Clone Wars. Doesn't Shaak Ti wear Togruta jewelry, cloths, and body paint?  I thought it was kind of silly to make him choose in that way.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 2, 2022, 11:53 PM »

I thought the same thing - especially the blue guy walking across the desert.  It was bad ass when he walked into town, but a little silly when he left with no ride.

Even Cobb Vanth seems to walk back to town from the moisture vaporator farm.  No speeder in sight (which I'm sure would have tipped off the Pykes to his arrival)

I did not like the choice presented to Grogu at the end though.  I understand the symbolism, but why can't he have both things?  Obi-Wan wore armor during the Clone Wars. Doesn't Shaak Ti wear Togruta jewelry, cloths, and body paint?  I thought it was kind of silly to make him choose in that way.

Or their own colored Jedi Starfighters, their own specialized clothing (you mentioned Shaak Ti, but what about Luminara, Barriss, Aayla?)?  Rules were being broken all the time in regard to the attachment rule.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #159 on: February 3, 2022, 12:14 AM »

Yoda: "Decide you must how to serve them best.  If you leave now, help them you could.  But you would destroy all for which they have fought and suffered."
Luke: "They're my friends.  I've got to help them."

Also Luke: "Grogu, you have to pick - the Jedi or your friend."   So many ESB parallels there in that choice for Grogu.

I loved Filoni tying so much stuff together in this episode. I know it bugs a lot of people because there's "too much Tatooine" or "too much Skywalkers", but I loved it.  ANH, ESB, ROTJ, TCW, TM, TPM, so much being brough together - There's even the potential of a Cad Bane/Fennec rematch (they squared off in The Bad Batch).

Can't wait for next week... and then I can't wait for "more Tatooine" and "more Skywalkers" in Kenobi and more TCW/Rebels with Ahsoka series. :)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 3, 2022, 09:28 AM »
There's just SO MUCH to unpack with this episode of "The Book of Boba Fett", but once again... where's Boba Fett?  He made it into a couple of minutes of this episode.  But I also wonder if that's by design.  We saw just SO MUCH of him in those first four episodes, almost always without the helmet on.  And I think that dispelled a lot of the mystique of the character from the way we knew him before.  Clearly these two episodes were intended to tie up some loose ends from "The Mandalorian", along with laying groundwork for the third season of that series.  But I also get the sense that this also could have been a reset to make us wonder that much more about Boba Fett.

I think one of the biggest deals about this episode is how the technology for presenting Luke Skywalker improved.  People picked over his appearance in "The Rescue" with a fine-toothed comb.  But this was just breathtaking!  It seemed so effortless, and it didn't take me out of the viewing experience.  I can only imagine the work that went into this, because it seems like a monumental achievement in visual effects.

And then there's Grogu leaping from stone to stone.  I didn't feel like I had to suspend my disbelief whatsoever.  And it was amazing to see his progress.   But it was also a little bittersweet hearing Luke acknowledge that Grogu was probably remembering more than Luke could actually teach him, as was Ahsoka's comment about Anakin.

Yoda: "Decide you must how to serve them best.  If you leave now, help them you could.  But you would destroy all for which they have fought and suffered."
Luke: "They're my friends.  I've got to help them."

Also Luke: "Grogu, you have to pick - the Jedi or your friend."   So many ESB parallels there in that choice for Grogu.

I took this as an emotional inflection point for both the characters and the audience.  But it's been laid out that way in terms of the story - Luke can see that Grogu won't fully commit to his training.  He was able to see the trauma Grogu experienced during Order 66 - and on that front I wonder if those flashbacks might eventually have him see Anakin!  How would Grogu feel about training with the son of a traitor who led an effort to kill him and the Jedi who were protecting him?

Luke also seems to be relying on Yoda's teachings.  Has he found the ancient Jedi texts yet?  Who knows.  But he now knows Ahsoka, who has made it clear that she has concerns over Grogu's attachment to Din Djarin based on her knowledge of what happened to Anakin.  Luke fell prey to his attachments and was drawn into Vader's trap.  But he also depended on Anakin's attachment to his son as the Emperor was trying to kill him.  That helped to turn Anakin back to the light, saving his soul, and Luke's life.  The word COMPLICATED doesn't even begin to cover it.

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 3, 2022, 10:33 AM »
It's probably Legends material, but I'd swear I read in one of the novels or the comics that Luke did not subscribe to the "No Attachments" teachings after ROTJ.  He relies on his attachments to his dad, his sister, his friends, and I'm not sure that actually makes any of the Jedi better.  Anyone recall this or am I dreaming?  I guess it makes sense if you fast forward to old Luke not staying in touch with Han or Leia, but I figured that was more from blaming himself for what happened to Ben than conforming to the older notions of Jedi attachment.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 3, 2022, 11:18 AM »
The attachment thing certainly can rub both ways.  Attachments can be used to manipulate a Jedi to act irrationally.  But compassion has been the source of some of the most important moments of the saga - Vader's redemption.  Leia reaching out to her son so that Rey might defeat Kylo Ren.  And Rey healing him in order to resurrect Ben Solo.

The one bit about the Clone Trooper flashback has me wondering - did Grogu see the Clone Troopers unmasked?  And will he come across Boba Fett at some point?  That scene in season 2 of The Mandalorian where Bo-Katan called Boba Fett "Clone" has a bit more resonance now.

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #163 on: February 3, 2022, 11:38 AM »
It's probably Legends material, but I'd swear I read in one of the novels or the comics that Luke did not subscribe to the "No Attachments" teachings after ROTJ.  He relies on his attachments to his dad, his sister, his friends, and I'm not sure that actually makes any of the Jedi better.  Anyone recall this or am I dreaming?  I guess it makes sense if you fast forward to old Luke not staying in touch with Han or Leia, but I figured that was more from blaming himself for what happened to Ben than conforming to the older notions of Jedi attachment.

It was in the New Jedi Order books if I recall correctly.  Luke encountered a force sensitive person who actually allied with the Sith and she was disgusted with Luke and the Jedi were getting married and having children.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 3, 2022, 03:28 PM »
Another great episode, mainly because it had nothing to do with Boba Fett. :P

Deepfake Luke looked so much better than he did in Mandalorian S2 finale. I know Lucasfilm hired that YouTuber who made a much better version, so if this was his work, fantastic job. Those ant droids were cool too! I need to go back and check to see if the temple they were building is similar/different from the one Kylo destroys in TLJ because I'm thinking they could use that as a way to say Grogu survived the First Order. "Kylo only destroyed ONE of Luke's temples, surprise! There actually were Jedi in the Sequels, now start liking the movies!"

A few things I disliked:

- I know Legends Luke did away with the "no attachment" rule (considering he gets a wife and a kid) so it was weird to see him following the same rule that turned Anakin to the Dark Side. I've seen people theorize that the ending is going to be a "fakeout" and Luke is going to train Grogu while allowing him to see Mando every so often.

- I would think that the first meeting between Luke and Ahsoka would be a much bigger deal. Maybe they're saving that for the Ahsoka series?

- Wouldn't Cad Bane be in his 70s at this point in the timeline? Cool seeing him regardless, even if he's just going to be fodder for Boba (assuming they actually let Boba do anything). Makes me wish Disney had let the Clone Wars team finish the series, as I believe there was a Young Boba/Bane storyline that ended with a duel. Would be cool to have that backstory to up the stakes.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks