Author Topic: Target 2021 Retro Collection Multi-Color Stormtrooper  (Read 3675 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Target 2021 Retro Collection Multi-Color Stormtrooper
« Reply #15 on: September 9, 2021, 03:35 PM »
That sucks.  Maybe they ran out before the website shut it down and they had to cancel orders because of that...

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 9, 2021, 05:03 PM »
I ordered one (not realizing I could order two) and then when I tried to order just 1 more it kept cancelling my orders, so I was capped at one.

While I don't want to be missing these in my collection, I loathe these retro prototype figures.

I'm sure Prototype Mando is next....
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 9, 2021, 05:27 PM »
While I don't want to be missing these in my collection, I loathe these retro prototype figures.

Me too.

I like the retro Kenner ones, but the multi-colored ones are annoying.  I feel I need one in my collection - they're incredibly hard to track down - and I wish they never made them.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 9, 2021, 05:44 PM »
I don't get the buying things you loathe. I buy stuff I like less than the cost but not that I loathe. No wonder they can keep making them.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 9, 2021, 06:37 PM »
I don't get the buying things you loathe. I buy stuff I like less than the cost but not that I loathe. No wonder they can keep making them.

Personal mental defect? I have the 18 color variants of Prototype Vader, I have four of the six variants of Fett (I have a spare Orange helmet version in case anyone has a spare Red or Purple variant to trade) and I do want to have all six of the Stormtrooper variants.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 9, 2021, 06:59 PM »
As someone who has a lot of personal mental defects I overstated not getting it. I do remember feeling like I needed everything at one time. For me it's more about my general attitude that adding anything to my SW collection is fun. Some things I'm joyed to buy and some things (credit collection, carbonized to name a couple) I would be fine they didn't make and don't love paying $26/$18 for but still in the end like having them. Anyway don't want to deviate from topic too much and NEVER want to tell people how to collect.
« Last Edit: September 9, 2021, 06:59 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2021, 10:08 AM »
I like these, but I don't love them. I want them, but I don't want to have to overpay or stress about tracking them down.  If they were $10 a pop and easy to find, I think people would be pretty happy with them and you'd get a good amount of people like me just buying up all six variations at retail.  Instead, they're $14 or double that from scalpers, limited quantity, and a pain in the butt to order online and/or actually track down in stores.  I truly believe this is the kind of crap that kills collecting for people.  When you find yourself in a situation where you're unhappy or stressed about a hobby that should be and exciting, that's not good for anyone.

I'm with Nick in that I don't fully understand buying stuff you don't like.  I'm much more often in the camp of convincing myself not to buy stuff I like because I don't have the space or money to afford all of it.  But I'm shifting the blame on this one from the collector to Hasbro and Target.  Their goal is to sell product and make profit while building shopper loyalty with your consumer base.  How is that happening with these Target Retro figures?  As Rob said, you're offering six versions because you want people to buy 6 of these instead of 1, but then you only allow a few people to preorder them and those people can only order two.  You make them impossible to find with inventory checkers and probably cancel more orders than you fulfil when they start hitting stores.  So outside of people who have set up multiple Target accounts under different names, pretty much everyone in your consumer base is unhappy with your offering.  Not a great sales strategy for these or for the longevity of the brand in my opinion. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2021, 10:54 AM »
I like these, but I don't love them. I want them, but I don't want to have to overpay or stress about tracking them down.  If they were $10 a pop and easy to find, I think people would be pretty happy with them and you'd get a good amount of people like me just buying up all six variations at retail.  Instead, they're $14 or double that from scalpers, limited quantity, and a pain in the butt to order online and/or actually track down in stores.  I truly believe this is the kind of crap that kills collecting for people.  When you find yourself in a situation where you're unhappy or stressed about a hobby that should be and exciting, that's not good for anyone.

This sums up my feelings, so maybe "loathe" is too strong a word.  I'm really so-so on this design but the hoops you've got to jump through annoy the crap out of me.  Some people love the thrill of the hunt.  I personally don't want to waste ten hours tracking down a $13 toy that should just be click and ship, or walk in to a store a few times before you find one.

This should be like most of the Disney droids like the recent witch hat astromech unit.  I don't love it, but its easy enough to buy and add it to my collection that the meh viewpoint doesn't get me down.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2021, 11:29 AM »
18 Vaders was absurd.

6 Fetts was less so.

I don't mind 6 Stormtroopers, I just don't want this to be a constant thing.  Do it once a year or something...

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2021, 11:48 AM »
Do we know its only six variants?  They mentioned the gun will be different colors too.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2021, 11:49 AM »
Do we know its only six variants?  They mentioned the gun will be different colors too.

They specifically mentioned 6 in presentation

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2021, 12:18 PM »

They specifically mentioned 6 in presentation

I took the livestream mention of 6 as to explain that the figures still have six different colors, replacing a separate head color with a gun color. I can't imagine they will reverse from the color solutions of the Boba Fett where each torso had a specific limb combination, butI don't think they have gone on record about the variations available in any of these prototype figures.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2021, 12:50 PM »
Jayson said it was six... I usually consider that to be gospel these days. 

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2021, 04:59 PM »
I've sold most of my Hasbro stuff, but I love this line in general.  I don't like the Target debacle for the prototype exclusives.  Being able to buy the regular figures on-line is fine.  Being able to buy the games that included a figure is fine.  This Target mess is awful and a major reason I don't collect Hasbro anymore.  For this line, I have kept everything carded except for "new" figures, like the prototypes, game figures, and the Mando wave.  I've had to resort to ebay for both Vader and Fett and most likely will for this one as well since my Target has never stocked the other two.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 3, 2021, 10:56 AM »
Was able to get 5 of 6 in store this morning