Author Topic: 2023 TVC Mando N-1 Starfighter  (Read 3360 times)

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
2023 TVC Mando N-1 Starfighter
« on: January 31, 2022, 11:55 AM »
One thing that I'm hopeful for is more TVC vehicles for mass retail.  Could Hasbro reveal that?  I don't know if it's wishful thinking or not.  The introduction of the N-1 fighter on TBOBF was definitely notable.  Is this a case of working a vehicle into a show in order to drive toy sales?  Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni made a point of talking about their love for the Kenner vintage Imperial Transport, and that seems to have been a driving factor in getting the Imperial Troop Transport in The Mandalorian and eventually on store shelves.  An N-1 fighter might be far more viable at retail than the Razor Crest ever would have been.  And the most recent episode has made me want a Peli Motto figure, along with her droids, that much more.  R5-D4 could be a straight up reissue!

I was thinking about the N-1 too, and being a little cynical wondered if they put this in there just for reissues.  Hopefully that's not the case, especially for a vehicle that is 20+ years old (lost molds, etc.) and probably wasn't all that beloved when it was released.  I'm guessing that if they were going to do a vehicle for reissue dollars only it probably would have been an A-Wing or something they've made in the past five years.
« Last Edit: February 2, 2023, 01:20 AM by Jeff »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: RUMOR - 2023 TVC Mando N-1 Starfighter
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 12:10 PM »
The 2012 version of the N-1 was a much better vehicle.  But even that one shows its age when you look at photos of it.

Given what Hasbro released with the Imperial Tank, the Troop Transport and even the new version of the Skiff, I think that they could make a fantastic version of Mando's N-1.  I don't think the 2012 version would translate in any way except for the cockpit and canopy.  Everything else looks radically different because of the exposed mechanical spaces on the ship.

I would not put it past Lucasfilm to introduce a ship to sell toys.  OT producer Gary Kurtz was critical of George Lucas because he felt that serving the Kenner toy line might have been driving some creative decision making.  It's no secret that revenue from licensed merchandise made George Lucas a lot more money than the box office.  Were some characters or vehicles designed in order to drive toy sales?  It might be the case.  The prospect of getting a smaller ship (that's more viable at retail) for one of the most popular characters in Star Wars seems like it didn't necessarily happen by accident.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 12:16 PM »
One thing that I'm hopeful for is more TVC vehicles for mass retail.  Could Hasbro reveal that?  I don't know if it's wishful thinking or not.  The introduction of the N-1 fighter on TBOBF was definitely notable.  Is this a case of working a vehicle into a show in order to drive toy sales?  Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni made a point of talking about their love for the Kenner vintage Imperial Transport, and that seems to have been a driving factor in getting the Imperial Troop Transport in The Mandalorian and eventually on store shelves.  An N-1 fighter might be far more viable at retail than the Razor Crest ever would have been.  And the most recent episode has made me want a Peli Motto figure, along with her droids, that much more.  R5-D4 could be a straight up reissue!

I was thinking about the N-1 too, and being a little cynical wondered if they put this in there just for reissues.  Hopefully that's not the case, especially for a vehicle that is 20+ years old (lost molds, etc.) and probably wasn't all that beloved when it was released.  I'm guessing that if they were going to do a vehicle for reissue dollars only it probably would have been an A-Wing or something they've made in the past five years.

The modifications Mando made to it are significant enough that Hasbro would need to build a whole new mold anyways.
"This is the way."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 12:24 PM »
I want to see more vehicles in the TVC be it the modified N-1 starfighter or others.  The troop transport they did is fantastic, as well as the aforementioned skiff and Rogue One tank.  I expect to see the modified N-1 sometime this year, but expect it to be at least $150.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2022, 12:29 PM »
I think Hasbro can get a pretty spectacular N-1 on the market this year, but I think they have to shoot for a lower price point.  The ITT sold for around $60, and the most recent X-Wing was $105.  I think they can probably find a way to deliver this somewhere between $80 and $105 - especially because it's related to The Mandalorian.  If they get in the mindset of moving a main character vehicle in volume, then the lower price point might be a way to draw in more potential buyers.

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2022, 08:59 AM »
I expect to see the modified N-1 sometime this year, but expect it to be at least $150.

Close guess, Matt!

The latest rumor update from Jayson/Yakface:

"Another Vintage Collection vehicle code name has been found and this one may tie to the rumored N-1 Starfighter from The Book of Boba Fett/The Mandalorian. “Bridgeport” looks to be due late 2023 with a price in the $140 range."

« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 09:12 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2022, 11:57 AM »
Holy moly  :o :o

What did the original one with electronics cost?  $25?  According to my database I bought it on discount for $8.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 12:35 PM by Dave »

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2022, 12:12 PM »
I'm assuming this one will be closer to the correct scale this time(?)
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2022, 12:24 PM »
I'm assuming this one will be closer to the correct scale this time(?)

If this is an all-new Mando N-1 sculpt that ends up similar in size to the larger X-Wing sculpt that now costs us $100-110, then $140 isn't surprising for them to ask.  Especially if they toss in a TBOBF Mando and Grogu to go with it (or maybe Peli or her droids instead).

Anyway, it's all relative - I'd rather pay $140 for an all-new ship x-wing size ship than $200 for the fourth version of that Slave 1 they keep re-releasing.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2022, 03:58 AM »
$140 is steep, but I'll bite. Mando & Grogu make the most sense as a pack-in but man, I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up if we got Amy Sedaris in action figure form as a pack-in.
"This is the way."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2022, 09:30 AM »
I’ll end up with one but I never really liked the N1. I don’t love that Mando has one.  And naturally, I hate the price tag.  Hopefully it’s got some pack-ins, is scaled up a little, and maybe has really great details for that kind of money. 

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2022, 11:25 AM »
I’ll end up with one but I never really liked the N1. I don’t love that Mando has one.  And naturally, I hate the price tag.  Hopefully it’s got some pack-ins, is scaled up a little, and maybe has really great details for that kind of money.

Agreed. I think it's ok that he's speeding around in one a little bit, but I want him to get back to a Razor Crest, or some other larger ship that's like the show's Millennium Falcon.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2022, 11:59 AM »
$140????  It feels like we're dealing with the case of the boiling frog with the price increases.  But in this case we seem to be noticing.

The Antoc Merrick X-Wing only came out a year ago, and it was priced at $105.  It included a pack-in figure, too.  The previous X-Wing releases had been $100 and didn't included a pack-in figure.  Now I am fully aware that this was an existing sculpt that had been released in TVC 1.0 for $70.  So perhaps Hasbro can offer this for a bit less than a newly tooled vehicle that might not lend itself to a re-release.

But $140?  If this is Mando's N-1, then Hasbro needs to offer something with this that boosts the perceived value.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 11:59 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2022, 08:45 AM »

Agreed. I think it's ok that he's speeding around in one a little bit, but I want him to get back to a Razor Crest, or some other larger ship that's like the show's Millennium Falcon.

+1.  Its not a practical bounty hunting ship unless you're just cutting off the heads of your bounties.    You can't haul people/bounties.  You couldn't fit a crew, or much gear. 

It was a cute nod to fans who liked it in E1, but I've never been a big fan of this ship and don't need it coming back at any price point.

I hope Mando gets a new, more practical ship this season.  I don't care if its another Razor Crest or not, but it needs to be practical if he's still going to be working as a bounty hunter.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2022, 10:51 AM »
I hope Mando gets a new, more practical ship this season. 

Maybe Mando can get himself an old GR-75 Rebel Transport and that's how we can finally get an updated version of the old Kenner Rebel Transport. :P