Author Topic: 2024: What Are You Collecting?  (Read 179855 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: 2021: What Are You Collecting?
« Reply #360 on: January 9, 2021, 10:46 PM »
Mine is very short this year due to a number of things. I've actually started selling off a bunch of stuff, mostly Star Wars 3.75 inch, and LEGO. I've been saying I'll do it for years, and it sucks, but feels pretty good to not have as much stuff.

Star Wars: Black Series OT and PT figures, or anything else that tickles my fancy. Also the Bandai SH Figuarts figures from Japan (I have like 95% of the line although Hasbro has been blowing them out of the water the last few years).

Marvel: Marvel Legends, but I only buy comic book based Spider-Man figures, so anything they release for that. I also am trying to grab all of the 90s X-Men, and have a small handful; need to track down some older stuff like Beast and Professor X. I am also heavy into the Medicom MAFEX comic line from Japan, that has released a few Marvel and DC figures. Again, really just anything based on comic Spider-Man or 90s X-Men.

And that's it, I think. The other line I collected, DC Collectibles Batman: The Animated Series, has ended with the shuttering of DC Collectibles. And I've basically been both priced and spaced out of LEGO. My main goal for the year will be to sell stuff off and get rid of a lot of clutter; I moved twice in 2020 and it really put into perspective just how much physical stuff I actually own.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: 2022: What Are You Collecting?
« Reply #361 on: January 1, 2022, 09:41 PM »
Time for the New Year check in, looking at the plan for the year. For me it continues to be the theme of being more selective. Most of my interests have stayed the same over the years, the main “new” area has been Super 7 Ultimates, which look great but are pricey. The price increases are really dictating how much I can really collect these days.

Star Wars
Vintage Collection and Black Series.  I’ll stick with TVC (or the equivalent) in some capacity until the end. 3 3/4” Star Wars is what started it all for me, and I still enjoy it very much. I’ll continue to pick and choose with Black Series. I like the figures, but it can be a frustrating line at times. Love the Mando stuff, OT of course, and there are still a few things from PT, ST, that I’d like to see.

Marvel
Legends. Probably my main line anymore, definitely from the number of figures/money spent standpoint. I love the classic comic figures, as well as the MCU characters. Fun line, their brand team really seems to care.

MOTU
Origins. Love it, hope it continues. I’ve bought most of it so far, and plan to continue. I dabbled in Masterverse briefly, but ended up returning most of it. Nothing wrong with the figures, I just figured I can’t collect multiple lines for each of these properties, so I stuck with Origins. I kept the He-Man and Battlecat, but that’s about it.

G.I Joe
Classified. Still not necessarily easy to find, but a fairly slow release schedule so it isn’t impossible to keep up with what I want. Very interested to see this potential return of the o-ring figures. Wanted the Skystriker, but just didn’t have the extra cash at the time.

Ultimates
TMNT, Thundercats, Silverhawks, G.I. Joe, some random things. Hoo boy, this one is the money black hole. I’ve really liked the figures I’ve gotten so far, but I also know I won’t be able to keep up with it all. Only all in with Turtles so far. Hoping to get the main team for things like Thundercats and Silverhawks, and pick and choose with Joe and other stuff.

In general, I gravitate towards the same properties I liked as a kid. So when things go retro, I get tempted. Outside of prices and distribution, the amount of properties represented and overall quality of the toys kind of make this a golden age of collecting….and harder to set limits. More and more I’m drawn to Kickstarter/small company type figures, especially the 3 3/4” scale stuff.
« Last Edit: January 1, 2022, 09:47 PM by Brian »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 3, 2022, 09:02 PM »
Still mostly the same for me, thankfully I guess. My space crunch has somewhat stabilized, but I still have to be selective.

Star Wars Black Series - my main collecting focus, still maintaining a complete collection to this point.

Super 7 ReAction - I’ve managed to avoid the temptation of the Ultimates, but I still buy a lot of the little figures.

Marvel Legends - really got into this line more this past year, but mostly limiting my focus to comic FF figures and goofy one offs.

MISC - Lanard Space Troopers if they ever come out, the Final Faction stuff, any NECA The Thing figures, and those American Werewolf in London figures if they ever come out.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 3, 2022, 03:39 PM »
Pretty much the same thing as what I listed in 2021...

Star Wars - Black Series and any cool SH Figuarts or MAFEX offerings from Japan.

Marvel - Mostly Legends, with a focus on Spider-Man and his rogue gallery. I'm also going after X-Men stuff, particularly Jim Lee designs or anything based on the 90s Animated Series. The MAFEX comic line is fantastic in this regard, and thankfully the limited number of releases each year helps with the high prices.

DC - I guess MacFarlane is releasing the unreleased DC Direct Batman TAS figures... I know those are all cel shaded, which would make them match the upcoming Hasbro animated X-Men stuff, but do I REALLY need to drop $40 after shipping on repaints? Not sure that I do. If not, I'll buy any cool stuff that MAFEX releases that catches my eye. Again, would very likely be limited to any Batman TAS stuff.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 3, 2022, 04:09 PM »
As I get closer to finishing off displays, I'm collecting a lot less.  Casual things I would have bought in the past are left on the pegs now that I have a better idea of what I have space for.  In the last few years I've picked up a lot of Marvel, NECA, Minimates, older 80's Toys, Transformers, etc.  But I'm mainly down to just Star Wars 3.75" and 6" figures (which is still a lot to buy with all these preorders).  I'm more focused on backfilling things I missed than most new items these days, but still picking up some vintage Star Wars stuff here and there as well.  I'll probably get a few more MCU related Marvel Legends as time goes on, but that's it.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 28, 2022, 05:27 PM »
Thought this fit well enough here, but are the price increases (combined with real world stuff as well) changing your collecting plan at all? With 6” Hasbro stuff inching into the $25-35 (more for deluxe) range, TVC in the $15-25 range, things like ReAction going $18 or more, and S7 Ultimates from $55 all the way to $75!, it definitely seems like some things will have to change.

I know for me personally, I’ve been pulling back on a lot of lines that I was previously “all in” with. I used to pick up all most of the Black Series figures, but honestly have been sticking to more and more of just the main characters from the new media and even past movies. The OT heroes have largely been covered in every flavor at this point, and the other stuff we’ve had for years in 3 3/4” I feel like I’m just rebuying a larger pricier version now…and I just don’t have the room for them. I may completely change my mind later, but for now that’s where I’m at and just going back to my 3 3/4” roots with Star Wars (and 6” stuff from Mando)

With everything else, it is a matter of being WAY more choosy. I was getting to where I was going pretty complete with a lot of the Ultimates figures because I really do like them, but I just can’t afford them all anymore. So no more complete Thundercats, just going to finish the core team and the last couple Mumm Ra’s mutants, and be done. Same possibly for Silverhawks, although we haven’t gotten any of those yet. I’d like to stay up with Turtles, but it may have to eventually go as well. I picked up Optimus from that line, and like it, but nothing else for now.

For regular Transformers, I really only plan on finishing out the Dinoboots as they put them out. Sludge is next, and hopefully they will get around to Snarl and Swoop in that form eventually. For Joes, I’ve gotten a lot of the Classifed line which I really like. I’d be all in on the o-rings, but those a slow trickle. With Legends, it is less “whole waves”, and more picking and choosing, although this is still my main focus these days.

In general, less. I’ve been selling stuff weekly, really trying to focus in the collection. I need to steer clear of the “gotta catch em all” mentality, and just buying what I really like and will put out on a shelf. Even if it is a one off. But overall, man it is pricey. I remember when I first started collecting having a monthly budget of $30. That’s like, one figure (or less!) these days.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 28, 2022, 06:08 PM »
Always like to look back and see how things panned out over the year. I stuck pretty close to my plan. Only picked up a couple more Legends to fill out my FF Display. Thundra, comic Black Panther, etc. finally got those NECA AWIL figures and they were awesome. Still waiting on the new Thing stuff though.

Bigger news from this year was deciding to downsize and sell off a few of my current collections, like all my Pacific Rim figures, all my Prometheus figures, and (eventually) all my McFarlane Stranger Things stuff. Loved them all but I have to keep making room all the time it seems like.

Anyway, for this year:

1) Star Wars Black Series- Still my main jam, still managed to keep up a complete collection, though it gets harder every year. Not a fan of the new PFP either.

2) Marvel Legends- just cherry picking here, does not seem to be much on tap as far as classic FF figures outside of Ronan and maybe Molecule Man. I’m happy with keeping it to a tight group here though.

3) Super 7 ReAction & Ultimates- price on these has become prohibitive, so planning to cut way back here, or at least wait for sales, discounts, free shipping, etc. hard though because they continue to do so much cool stuff.

Star Troopers and Final Faction are still in the mix for 2023, but not much else outside of those. Thinking it’s probably time to start getting serious about any remaining vintage toys I want.  :)
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: 2020: What Are You Collecting?
« Reply #367 on: January 2, 2023, 10:36 PM »
I haven't updated my list in a while... here's my plan for 2023:

TVC 3.75" - I'll buy anything "ALL NEW".  I'll be very selective on anything "kinda new" (photo-real repaints, deco refreshes, etc).  I'm planning to skip almost everything that is a straight repack (only exception is probably that new TVC Stormtrooper with the holster and rocker ankles - I have like 8 on order at EE).  Vehicles, I'll pick and choose depending on cost and size and anything that hits my personal 'wow factor' button.

TBS 6" - No longer buying or collecting these.  In the near future, I'll be selling most of the 6" stuff I have (mainly Han Solo figures and some other main characters).  I am only keeping 8 figures from ANH - Vader, Leia, R2-D2, C-3PO, Ben with Holo-Leia table, Luke with Landspeeder, Smuggler Han, and Chewie.

Other Stuff - Cutting way back here.  Maybe 5-10 miscellaneous 3.75" figures from various niche line/manufacturers (Boss Fight, Chicken Fried Toys, Hasbro GI Joe or Indy).  I haven't picked up anything Marvel, DC, Acid Rain in the past few years.

That's pretty much it.  Hoping to keep a really tight focus to just 3.75" Star Wars with a little bit extra here or there, but not very often.   I do have a soft spot for Tatooine themed LEGO sets so if LEGO announces a new ANH/Mando Tatooine set I might bite on that too...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 3, 2023, 09:15 AM »
TVC 3.75" - I'll buy anything "ALL NEW".  I'll be very selective on anything "kinda new" (photo-real repaints, deco refreshes, etc).  I'm planning to skip almost everything that is a straight repack (only exception is probably that new TVC Stormtrooper with the holster and rocker ankles - I have like 8 on order at EE).  Vehicles, I'll pick and choose depending on cost and size and anything that hits my personal 'wow factor' button.

TBS 6" - No longer buying or collecting these.  In the near future, I'll be selling most of the 6" stuff I have (mainly Han Solo figures and some other main characters).  I am only keeping 8 figures from ANH - Vader, Leia, R2-D2, C-3PO, Ben with Holo-Leia table, Luke with Landspeeder, Smuggler Han, and Chewie.

I think this is me too.  I've been getting nearly every 6" figure released except for a few Gaming Greats, but I think my New Year's resolution is to drop my 6" line collecting.  Maybe I'll buy something here and there that is really cool, but I might do the same as you Jeff and just sell everything but a small group of core figures.  Let me know if you find much value on the secondary market for opened 6" figures.

I am also going to pick up most/all of the Indy line, and I think Super 7 may have sucked me in to buying Beastie Boys toys.  Damn it.  Its a Sabotage!

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 3, 2023, 10:44 AM »
I think I'm in the same boat as Jeff. 

I will pick up new TVC but I think I'm done with all the clone repaints.  I was never a fan of all of the individualized clone personalities so I could do without those.  Same with Gaming Greats figures.  I never played any of the games, so the figures don't resonate with me. 

I've stopped picking up Black Series.  I believe I only have Aayla Secura left on my preorder lists and then that's it.  Between space issues and price points, I just can't do it any more.  Granted, if there is a figure that interests me, I might pick it up, but it would have to be from the OT.

I have been picking up the NECA Universal Monsters line... at least with that line I know what I'll pick up.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 3, 2023, 11:33 AM »
I definitely see some trends emerging among what I've come to refer to as "Legacy Collectors", of which I am one.

THE VINTAGE COLLECTION 3.75" FIGURE SYSTEM I used to buy EVERYTHING, and in multiples.  That's got to change.  From both a space standpoint as well as the financial side of things.  In some respects Hasbro has made that easier to do than I would have thought. 

First there were the TVC carbonized figures.  I bought the first wave, but felt like Hasbro and Walmart pulled one over on me.  So I passed on the second wave.  It felt like that was going to be a big deal, but it was actually a lot easier to do than I would have thought.

Vehicles are another place where I just had to say enough.  I had bought the first TVC Slave I back in 2013, but I had never opened it.  That cost $70.  When I caught wind of it being updated and re-released in 2020 I sold my old version in order to fund the new one which cost $150.  Fast forward to now and it's being released AGAIN, but this time for $200, and there's a new figure included that may or may not be released individually.  I couldn't bring myself to do that, so I canceled my order.  And then Hasbro did the reissue thing again with the upcoming AT-ST.

There's also the Boba Fett Tax.  How a figure sculpt started at $12.99 with movie accurate deco in 2021, and suddenly 2 years later that same sculpt with simpler paint apps costs $22.99 is beyond me.  I can't support this and I think it's a clear case of Hasbro and the retailers trying to take advantage of collectors.  So, no.  JUST NO.  I get that repaints will happen with some figures like troopers.  But this situation is just egregious and borderline abusive.  And I've been stunned to see the preorders for crap like the comic renditions of Boba Fett sell out.

THE BLACK SERIES
This is where I'm making much bigger cuts.  I'm being extremely selective in what I buy.  And even then I am working every angle possible to save money.  I've held out for sales and clearances, and I only just bought Omega and Ewok village Leia because Amazon marked them both down to $9.99 each.  Gaming Greats is probably going to fall by the wayside - the only exception I made there is for the Delta Squad Republic Commandos.  I've passed on all of the carbonized figures, 80% of the credit collection, as well as the new Target and Walmart exclusive Andor figures.  All told, I think I only have one outstanding Black Series preorder at this time.  It used to be closer to ten at a time.  I track a number of Black Series figures on an Amazon wishlist.  If I see something go on sale I might jump on it.  But it's got to be the right deal and the right character. 

I've considered selling off some of my Black Series collection.  I was already selling off some of the black & red boxed figures that got photoreal reissues.  And I've been seeing more and more people putting their TBS collections up for sale on social media.  To the point where I think the value on a lot of TBS figures is going to drop because the market might get flooded.

OTHER STUFF
There's not that much.  I still go back and buy some older Marvel Universe 3.75" figures that *kind of* work with the MCU 1:18 scale figures.  The current project is a Hercules figure.  And I might get into the upcoming Indiana Jones line, but I have to see it before I take the plunge.
« Last Edit: January 3, 2023, 11:39 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 5, 2023, 11:22 AM »
I'm still buying all Black series, but often holding off for clearance or sale prices.  Still buying up all the TVC stuff as well.  Trying to limit purchases of anything else just due to space.  I still buy some vintage SW here and there and Marvel Legends occasionally, but holding off on other toy lines for the most part.

I have been picking up those little working 3" arcade games like this one from EE.  I've just been lucking my way into them at various stores, so if anyone has a reliable resource that sells these please let me know. 

Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 6, 2023, 06:42 PM »
Not much has changed for me.   

I'm still 100% in on 3.75" Star Wars / Hasbro.

I've been making a push to fill gaps in my Vintage Kenner collection.  I bought a few mini-rigs, an A-Wing, and a TIE Fighter in the last month or so.

I've also started adding custom vintage style figures, mostly Stan Solo things.  I'm not interested in hand painted / 3D printed items, but if they're factory produced and look good, I want them.

I still collect Gentle Giant Mini-busts, but I just added a 10th Detolf to the basement and I don't think I have room for an 11th.  In a year or two I might have to start downsizing there or being clever about where to put them.

I still collect OT Lego, just OT there.

I ditched ReAction figures a few years ago and never looked back, the 450 or so figures I have sitting around are probably going on eBay over the next few weeks.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 7, 2023, 10:58 AM »
As I’ve said the past 5 years or more, hopefully buying less this year. I sold off a ton of stuff last year, but was surprised how much crap stuff I still have. Just collect too many things. I’ve really tried to consider each purchase and whether or not I’ll actually display it or if it is just going in a tote. Still the same main two for me (plus one bonus):

Star Wars - similar to others, basically all in on anything new (or significantly improved) from TVC. Still my favorite Star Wars. Vehicles/playsets as well, particularly if it is OT or Mando related (although I am finding it is tough for me to display those). I took a similar stance as others with Black Series. Sold off half and have become very selective going forward. OT and select other ones that catch my eye. Just a little fatigue setting in there personally, although I do still like much of what they are putting out.

Marvel Legends - Definitely what I’ve gotten the most of the past few years. I really like what they do in this line, and have a lot of fun collecting it. That being said, they put out a lot and I should really tone this down a bit. I just don’t have the space. Great stuff though, really like when they get classic comic booky with the vibrant colors and looks I remember from growing up.

GI Joe Classified - Honestly this line is kind of killing it, particularly last year. Rarely a stinker, and they took a lot of the feedback from the first couple waves and went with more an “classic but updated” aesthetic. It really works. Slower pace than other lines, which is nice.

I’ll also be in on Indy, so we’ll see how much we get. Everything else has wound down, I’ve finished what I want, or I’m dropping and/or waiting for sales. Pretty much done with Transformers unless something astounding comes along, feel pretty good about MOTU Origins and they’ve covered most of what I want…maybe the odd figure here or there. Super 7 is kind of pricing me out. Pretty much gave up on reaction because of price and sold much of what I had. I had been complete with TMNT Ultimates, but that has stopped and now I’m being patient with any others I want. I’d like to finish the core Thundercats team, and it is wait and see with any other of their licensees. Like the figures, but out of my budget. Couple other odds and ends like the NECA Alf figure. Things would be so much easier if I only collected one of these lines, I’m a dummy. 🙂
« Last Edit: January 7, 2023, 10:58 AM by Brian »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 7, 2023, 11:04 AM »

PS - love this plan. One display of the main OT players and done. Wish I was as smart as you and had that discipline. I’m trying to be better. Feel like you should add a Stormtrooper to that list though 😉