Author Topic: 2006 DVD Releases Thread  (Read 87393 times)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Re: 2006 DVD Releases Thread
« Reply #330 on: April 13, 2006, 04:26 PM »
Maybe I missed Rob's sarcasm!

;D

Hey, it's Thursday and I've got a three day weekend coming up - cut me some slack!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 13, 2006, 04:30 PM »
Instant classic.   :)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 13, 2006, 04:48 PM »
Just post it on the front page and get it over with.

:-*

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #333 on: April 13, 2006, 05:05 PM »
How would this be?

JD Forum Member Misses Joke

JD Forum Member ruiner was mocked today for missing the sarcasm of another poster.  Head on into the JD Forums and see for yourself!
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 14, 2006, 02:04 AM »
Alright, if you guys can differentiate, Timmy didn't "deserve" to die,  but he did get what was coming to him.

The guy got emotionally moved by by bear ****. That's ****** up.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 02:05 AM by Cory H. »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 14, 2006, 10:07 AM »
I don't think there was any doubt that he was crazy - but to some people that makes it all the more moving.  I'll know what it does for me personally by the end ot the week.

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 14, 2006, 12:39 PM »
Don't know if you guys really care, but I've been waiting for this one, personally;

6/13/06.

SilverZ

« Reply #337 on: April 14, 2006, 07:56 PM »
Cool. That's way overdue.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 19, 2006, 03:31 PM »
Can anyone give any feedback on Hostel?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 19, 2006, 03:43 PM »
Can anyone give any feedback on Hostel?

A decent movie but failed to deliver IMO.  It's too full of bad humor and college-kid themes to be a 'serious' horror movie.  It also takes way too long to get to the horror part of it if you ask me.  But the boobs were definitely nice boobs and it had it's moments.

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 19, 2006, 06:39 PM »
The way I see it now is like this. The characters are absolutely despicable, and purposely so. The brothel in Amsterdam is part of the culture, and ended up being an easy way to get the whole sex and nudity aspect of traditional horror movies out of the way. I think it was a little too gratuitous, personally, and what Roth got away with in an R rated movie was amazing. After about 30 minutes, after the one night stands are all said and done, it picks up and gets tense. Merging into the 3rd act, it just gets nuts. Nothing is sacred, no holds barred kind of ****...just brutal.

It was a good premise, and the story came full circle with Jay Hernandez's little epiphanies when he returns to the hostel.

So, in a nutshell, I did like it more the second time around, but not sure that it's worth owning, but it was DEFINATELY better, and more mature and original than "Cabin Fever".

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 19, 2006, 08:00 PM »
it picks up and gets tense. Merging into the 3rd act, it just gets nuts. Nothing is sacred, no holds barred kind of ****...just brutal.

We must have very different ideas of what constitutes brutal.  Wolf Creek was brutal.  Hostel, even at it's most intense was almost comical - right down to SPOILER the way the one bad guy at the end had to slip and cut at his own leg to help get the 'hero' free and that gir's ridiculous looking severed eyeball.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 08:00 PM by Rob »

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 19, 2006, 09:35 PM »
"Hostel" is no different than a lot of slashers that toss in some severings, beheadings or what have you just for the sake of being extreme.

"Wolf Creek" was more credible (it had to be), and had a lot of implied or quick cut violence, and it was just. Nothing from that movie, IMO, could compare with....
..nailing two young girls in a car, throwing it in reverse, and then running one over AGAIN with her body being visibly drug under the car. In "Wolf Creek", there was the whole spinal snap, but it wasn't shown, which is always more effective. Eli Roth just put it out there like he's always done. It was too late for his movie to be presented as credible, so why start then? Just ham it up, hence the Bubble Gum Gang and the car bashing.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 19, 2006, 09:43 PM »
Like I said above, it had it's moments - but it also had an overall air of campiness and an abundance of lame humor.  Wolf Creek (and others) are more serious in tone, as well as violent, which makes them more brutal IMO.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #344 on: April 21, 2006, 12:49 PM »
Poop
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."