Author Topic: JD Fantasy Hockey 2005  (Read 124991 times)

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
Re: JD Fantasy Hockey 2005 - League is Live!!
« Reply #870 on: October 21, 2005, 12:43 AM »
I posted awhile back Brent that I didn't see the max game cap, and honestly I didn't bother to look because none of my other 3 leagues had caps.  Jamie didn't see it either.  Had I seen it, I would have pushed for a head-to-head league if 100 was the max because I don't do cap leagues.  I also posted why I don't a few pages back.  It's a joke if you ask me.  But again, that's my opinion but I stand behind that opinion.  It is what it is this season, but unless we do a head-to-head league next year, count me out.  I won't do another max cap league.  I want to be able to use the guys on my team, not have a good looking bench.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: October 21, 2005, 12:45 AM »
[Sorry dude, it ain't strategy.  If you were able to use him, you would.  You've kept him on your bench because he is a C/RW and you already have Iginla, Amonte and Alfredsson at RW and Richards and Jokinen at C.  You've had him on the bench because you can't use him.  There's no strategy involved in not being able to utilize your team to it's fullest. 

Dude, yes that is stategy.  By playing Demitra tonight, I'll have to find a different night to SIT Iginla or Alfredsson - and I'll look for a night where they go up against a good goalie/defensive team on the road - strategy. 

No, that's not strategy.  That's being handcuffed by the rules.  The new NHL is far too unpredictable. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 12:46 AM by Holographic Elvis »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: October 21, 2005, 12:46 AM »
Fine.  Just realize that if you want a league without a cap, it will have to be elsewhere than Yahoo.  The maximum number of games is 100.  You can't set it higher, at least not in a points league.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: October 21, 2005, 12:46 AM »
Fine.  Just realize that if you want a league without a cap, it will have to be elsewhere than Yahoo.  The maximum number of games is 100.  You can't set it higher, at least not in a points league.

Exactly why I won't participate in a points league again.

BTW, did your Clone 5pak reach you yet?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 12:47 AM by Holographic Elvis »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: October 21, 2005, 12:51 AM »
[Sorry dude, it ain't strategy.  If you were able to use him, you would.  You've kept him on your bench because he is a C/RW and you already have Iginla, Amonte and Alfredsson at RW and Richards and Jokinen at C.  You've had him on the bench because you can't use him.  There's no strategy involved in not being able to utilize your team to it's fullest. 

Dude, yes that is stategy.  By playing Demitra tonight, I'll have to find a different night to SIT Iginla or Alfredsson - and I'll look for a night where they go up against a good goalie/defensive team on the road - strategy. 

No, that's not strategy.  That's being handcuffed by the rules.  The new NHL is far too unpredictable. 

No, that's stategizing within the rules - surely you at least understand what I'm getting at right?

And you not seeing a clearly posted rule until later and assuming that it was a certain way because some other league is, isn't grounds for changing the rule later.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: October 21, 2005, 12:53 AM »

No, that's stategizing within the rules - surely you at least understand what I'm getting at right?

And you not seeing a clearly posted rule until later and assuming that it was a certain way because some other league is, isn't grounds for changing the rule later.

I do, but I disagree.

And you're right, it isn't grounds for changing it but there is nothing wrong with pointing out an obvious flaw in the rules and suggesting a change is there?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: October 21, 2005, 12:54 AM »

No, but that's just because I haven't been at my workplace lately I suspect.  It's probably waiting for me, but I won't be down there until Tuesday next week because of meetings.

Is there another online site to run without a game cap?  Or does Yahoo rotisserie run that way?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: October 21, 2005, 12:59 AM »
And you're right, it isn't grounds for changing it but there is nothing wrong with pointing out an obvious flaw in the rules and suggesting a change is there?

No, there's nothing wrong with that - but at this point certainly you must know that you've accomplished that goal and we're going in circles.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: October 21, 2005, 01:01 AM »

No, but that's just because I haven't been at my workplace lately I suspect.  It's probably waiting for me, but I won't be down there until Tuesday next week because of meetings.

Is there another online site to run without a game cap?  Or does Yahoo rotisserie run that way?

Keep me posted.

Sandbox (back when it was free and I played there) had a cap option and that was where I learned the hard way how crappy cap leagues are.  I've been at Yahoo ever since.  I'm doing a football league at ESPN.  No cap.  Not sure about anywhere else.  I just think it's dumb to have guys on your team you basically can't use.  Football is different because of the way the game is played.  You don't set your lineup everyday because of the schedule.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: October 21, 2005, 01:02 AM »

No, there's nothing wrong with that - but at this point certainly you must know that you've accomplished that goal and we're going in circles.

Well I just posted how I was venting my frustration at losing 3 points and next thing I know we're here.  I wasn't asking for a re-count.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: October 21, 2005, 04:32 AM »
Yeah, I had to a leave a right winger out tonite and chose JP Dumont - cost me a G and A.  :(

Ohmygod guys, if you're going to whine about missing points because you had to leave a guy on the bench I'll can the ******* league right now.

Here's a suggestion, I tolerated all the discussion with its inherent lack of maturity.  The decision is made.  Grow up or **** off.  Ok?

My statement wasn't a reflection of dissatisfaction with a capped league - in fact, it was quite the opposite.  I had to make a decision about who I thought was the hotter player, JP Dumont or Glen Murray, and I chose wrong.

In fact, I could have played both guys tonight, but according to my maximum games played, my right wingers were on pace to play too many games.  So I decided I'd bench a guy to slow down that pace.  The easy thing would be just to have played both guys and taken whatever points they scored.  I like how the capped league forces me to make some tough calls.

So what I'm trying to say is my disappointment in losing the 2 points was a reflection of my incorrect decision as to who to bench, NOT that the league is capped.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #881 on: October 21, 2005, 09:32 AM »
Congrats to Zod for displacing the Canuck - 15pts is a big night.

How was your 1-day reign in first, Saskatch?   :P

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #882 on: October 21, 2005, 10:13 AM »
****. I was adding a goal tender and I dropped the wrong guy. >:( Sleep deprivation sucks.
"This is the way."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: October 21, 2005, 10:15 AM »
 :)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: October 21, 2005, 11:15 AM »
Can anyone explain to me how the Yahoo player rankings work?!

I've got Demitra and Alfredsson, ranked 3rd and 59th respectively by yahoo - but each have the same number of goals (5) and assists (4).