Author Topic: JD Fantasy Hockey 2005  (Read 125003 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: JD Fantasy Hockey 2005 - League is Live!!
« Reply #1065 on: February 3, 2006, 12:03 PM »
I wish you'd have offered him before I trade Theodore to Jason.  I'd much rather have had Kovalchuk than Frolov.

Sorry, I'm overloaded with left wingers again.  Kovalchuk, Kozlov, Stillman (injured ::)) and Elias has LW eligibility. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: February 3, 2006, 04:52 PM »
Well with Iginla, Theodore, and Yashin gone I'm running out of trade bait, but I sent a proposal anyway - feel free to make a counter offer but I'm reluctant to give up any of my other goalies at this point.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: February 4, 2006, 01:24 PM »
Is there any trick to figuring out which goalies are actually getting the start on a given night?  I'm getting tired of not having nay idea and picking two of three guys to go only to find out that one of them is on the bench (for the actual game) and a guy on my bench got a win that I won't get credit for.

??

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1068 on: February 4, 2006, 06:40 PM »
Is there any trick to figuring out which goalies are actually getting the start on a given night?  I'm getting tired of not having nay idea and picking two of three guys to go only to find out that one of them is on the bench (for the actual game) and a guy on my bench got a win that I won't get credit for.

??

I've been trying to figure out the same thing. It think you can look at the game preview prior to the game starting, but that is alot of work. I have yet to figure out a good system.
"This is the way."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: February 4, 2006, 09:30 PM »
The don't always have who's starting listed and sometimes they don't have information correct...  It seems like teams don't have to announce a starter until a little while before the game even if it seems obvious to everyone else.  Then, by the time the information hits the internet, it's almost time to drop the puck - and Yahoo closes out roster changes slightly before a game starts...

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1070 on: February 4, 2006, 09:35 PM »
Yahoo closes out roster changes slightly before a game starts...

That's because I pay Yahoo to make it hard for you to figure out which Goalie to use... :P

Seriously though, it is frustrating to pick two starters only to see one get benched for the night while the other one you benched goes on to get a shut-out.  Sometimes if you go to the local paper websites, they are pretty good about telling you who will start (with a 90% accuracy maybe).

The Ottawa paper is pretty good about guessing the starter in their game previews so that makes it easy with Hasek.  Also, the local MN paper is pretty accurate at telling me when it's a Manny night and when it's a Rollie night.

So, consider that a helpful hint from your league leader - check the local paper for goalie advice.   ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: February 4, 2006, 10:10 PM »
Yeah, I've done that from time to time to figure out the Burke / Grahamme thing with the Bolts.

Grahamme who tonight was good for his fourth shutout in his last 6 or so starts! 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1072 on: February 6, 2006, 08:19 PM »
Hmmm... Ladislav Nagy is out for the year.   :'(

Looks like I am in need of a new Left Wing.   :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: February 6, 2006, 09:00 PM »
Unless you're on the coaching staff, it's always gonna be a crapshoot as to who will be in net against whom.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: February 6, 2006, 10:42 PM »
Unless you're on the coaching staff, it's always gonna be a crapshoot as to who will be in net against whom.

Ayup, but some of us don't have that problem in picking a goalie >:( :P 

Gotta go look at Jeffie's roster, I have plenty um left wing. ;D

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: February 7, 2006, 12:11 AM »
Same crap for me tonight....  I start Grahamme (who got a shutout the other night) and the Bolts start Burke...  I start Markkanen and he gets pulled in the third.  The Oilers go on to win, but I end up with zero points again...  >:(

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: February 8, 2006, 11:32 AM »
Forgot to set my lineup yesterday and left 7 points on the bench.   >:(

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: February 12, 2006, 10:11 PM »
Ok, since we've got a considerable break in the schedule thanks to the Olympics, I think it might be a decent time to consider how the pool is or isn't working. 

I'm in three different NHL pools and they're all pretty different.  Each has its own pluses, each has its flaws. 

My work pool is thus:
Forwards 6
Defense 3
Goalie 1
bench 1

Point for assist and goal.  Goalie 2 pt win, -1 pt loss. 

Over at the spawn.com board the pool has the following stats/setup:
Can you guys access league settings of leagues you're not in?  That'll explain it better anyway, but if you can't:
C, LW, RW 2 each
Utility and Forward 1 each
Def 4
3 bench
Goalie 2

Lots more stats over there, some good, some bad and it's really a very, very different way to evaluate the players.  I think that league is too deep for too few quality players, but oh well. 

Points there are generated for +/-, G, A, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, GTG, W, GA, SHO
Positive points for everything except being on the minus side of +/- and GA (-0.25 each).

I like the broader point categories but I wasn't sure if guys here would or not.  I'm not a huge fan of game winning goals, game tying goals or short handed goals, those to me are an artifact of luck as much as anything else.  Power play goals are ok, because that tends to be a calculatable stat with some sort of figureable knowledge associated with it. 

That leaves us here:
I'm not really in agreement with Jesse and Jason's earlier comments, even at this point (though I'm not opposed to raising the cap on a position for number of games).  I know it hurts leaving guys on the bench, I understand that.  But I'd prefer to resolve that next year by adding maybe a flex position or two, like the spawn.com league with a forward and utility or something like that. 

I'd also like to reduce the number of bench positions.  Lots of good players tied up for no great reason and the frustration can be generated from that.  Goalies would be a good example.  Not trying to blame anyone for anything here, those with more goalies are smart, it's that simple.  They saw that multiple goalies would be needed to cover off all the games and did something about it.  I didn't and now I've traded away my star player to get a goalie (granted he's a star player as well, so I think the trade was fair).  I'd like to reduce the number of goalie games played as well so the max can be maybe easier to reach? 

I'm also not a fan of rotisserie either, at least not at this point.  I'm not sure how it's necessary if we resolve some of the other issues.

So next time around here's what I'd like to see:

C - 2
LW - 2
RW - 2
Util - 2
D - 3
G - 2
Bench - 3
IR - 1

That's one position less than our current roster size, so not much change, but some more flexibility. 

For scoring, I'd like the following:

G - 1pt
A - 1 pt
+/-  +0.5 pt/-0.5 pt
PIM +0.25
PPG - 1 pt (in addition to the G or A pt)

For goalies, I'd like to add G/A points, but Yahoo doesn't allow it at this point.  I know it's mostly trivial, but I see no reason for guys to lose out on points their players actually achieve.  In other leagues we've actually had goals as 5 points and assists as 3 points.  Anyway, the rest of the stats for goalies:

W - 2 pts
L - -1 pt
SHO - 3/4 pts

In terms of the number of games, I'm still not a huge fan of limitless numbers of games at a particular position.  Must be the traditionalist in me but you can't actually have a player play more than 82 games in a season, so why do it in fantasy?  Regardless, I'm not always right, so how about the following:

We add those two utility positions.

We bumpt the number of games per position to 90 games.  With the flex positions that moves up the number of games a very considerable amount and you'll have fewer guys sitting on the bench. 

Maybe we should reduce the bench positions to only two slots?  I'm a fan of that to free up the goaltending situation a bit as well.  Like I said, I understand why guys have five goalies on the bench, but that's a big unrealistic as well.  I'd even entertain thoughts of reducing the number of games a goalie can play, but I don't think Yahoo allows a separation of number of games based on position, so if we go up for the others, goalies will too.  How about reducing the number of active goalies on a daily basis to just one?  90 games for the goaltending position is pretty subtantial and would require two starters in many cases. 

Anyway, just some food for thought since we've got a dryspell coming for the next couple of weeks.  Looks like the league gets going again on the 28th of the month. 

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: February 13, 2006, 11:01 AM »
Honestly Brent, after competing with a lot of you here in these point leagues, I think the problem is simply that the leagues are point based.  Baseball, football, hockey, etc, they are all point leagues.  Then you have to sit down and figure out what should be scored and how much.  Why not try a head-to-head league?  The default Yahoo leagues are like that and the league I created for some guys at Spawn is a H2H league and we have had no issues (just like our baseball and football leagues.)  You set what categories you want to include and then you play 1 guy each week.  Let's say there are 12 categories.  If you have the highest total for 9 of those categories and he gets 3, you win the week 9-3.  And then the next week you play someone else.  Far less complicated and it eliminates the drama.  If you load up on goalies, you're likely to have an advantage in the goalie categories but maybe not in the skater categories.  AND there is no limit/cap on games.  Here are the categories in my league.  I went with the 10 Yahoo default categories and everyone had to agree to it in order for us to OK the league and then draft.  (FYI: we originally had a points-based league set and guys either weren't comfortable with it or didn't like the point system.  They preferred H2H.)

G
A
+/-
PPP
SHP
GWG
W
GAA
SV%
SHO

Now I agree with Brent that you can always remove some of those categories but then you just have to figure out what ones you want to include and which ones you don't.  Far easier than giving weight to categories in a points league.  I understand why we went with a points league this time around and we've had no problems really.  I just think that the points-based system and cap on games are pretty lame and there is definitely a better system.  That's just my opinion and I'm curious to see who would like to see what for next season.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: February 13, 2006, 11:51 AM »
I'm all for anything to boost the level of competition.  Jeff's team has really run away with it and the guy closest to taking 2nd place from me is Brent, who's 14 points back, but has used about a billion more games than me at every position but goalie to get to this point.