Author Topic: digital photo printing services  (Read 1597 times)

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
digital photo printing services
« on: April 5, 2005, 05:03 PM »
I've got a ton of digital photos I've taken over the past two years (two daughters will do that) and I've now come to the realization that I will never be able to print them all out. My wife has always bleated about the fact that she doesn't have that many hard copies...and I tend to agree. So I've been trying to see if there are any good, quick, cheap services for printing out digital photos. I've seen online sites that will do prints for anywhere from $.50 per print to as low as $.09 a print. Anyone tried any of these? Any other suggestions? Someone here at work said that Costco may provide this service. Any bit of help would be welcome!! :)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: digital photo printing services
« Reply #1 on: April 5, 2005, 05:26 PM »
We've got a place we take all our regular film to get developed (Proex) and we now take any digital stuff to get printed there too until we find a printer we like for home.

They've got one of the "easy to use" set-ups where you plug in your Flash Card and just print photos you want from there.  There is always someone there who can help if things get messed up or something isn't turning out right.

Plus, I've found the quality of the printing and the photo paper at an actual Camera/Photo place is soooo much better than the set-ups at Wal-Mart, Target, Cost-Co, etc. 

Sure, you can get $0.09 cent prints at some places, but like the saying goes, you get what you pay for...  :-\

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #2 on: April 5, 2005, 08:17 PM »
Nataku is right, try the Camera shops first.  Do you have a KITS or RITZ camera chain store near you? They are great. I recently had pictures taken on my old Canon Powershot S50 printed and framed there for Christmas, and you can't tell the difference.

Costco prints are really nice too. I use them a lot, but when I want really beautiful ones, I take them to the camera store.
Got Clones?

Offline Andy_R

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 6, 2005, 03:08 AM »
I have used many online printing services... Webshots.com,  Picturetrail.com,  Snapfish.com to name a few.  I never had a problem with any of them.

Since I got my own photo printer, I haven't had to pay for prints.  8)

Andy

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 6, 2005, 10:34 AM »
Thanks guys. Though quality is very important, I've got so many pictures right now (at least a couple GBs) that I'm more interested in cheap and quick methods. I'm going to try a couple of the cheaper online sites to see what type of quality I'll be getting and compare them to places like Ritz and Costco to see if there is much difference. I'll try to post what I find. Thanks, again, for all your input!! :) 

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 6, 2005, 04:51 PM »
Thanks guys. Though quality is very important, I've got so many pictures right now (at least a couple GBs) that I'm more interested in cheap and quick methods. I'm going to try a couple of the cheaper online sites to see what type of quality I'll be getting and compare them to places like Ritz and Costco to see if there is much difference. I'll try to post what I find. Thanks, again, for all your input!! :) 

Don't overlook the fact that you'll need to upload all of those GBs of images... That could take some time. We have high speed, and although down speed is great up can sometimes be a challenge. My wife tried to send som images through to one place two months ago and it froze three times on her without completing the transaction. Each time she resubmitted the order, our card was charged again. Three times. We had no problem reversing the charges, but the order never went through. On a big order, I suggest a local shop. You may not end up paying too much more.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 6, 2005, 05:57 PM »
[Don't overlook the fact that you'll need to upload all of those GBs of images... That could take some time. We have high speed, and although down speed is great up can sometimes be a challenge. My wife tried to send som images through to one place two months ago and it froze three times on her without completing the transaction. Each time she resubmitted the order, our card was charged again. Three times. We had no problem reversing the charges, but the order never went through. On a big order, I suggest a local shop. You may not end up paying too much more.

Excellent point Deanpaul. I'm able to use the speedy access at work for uploads, and I've already tried a couple of online places; one with no problems, the other was slow and it finally froze. Ease of use will definitely be a factor. Time is definitely money.