Author Topic: Obi-Wan Kenobi Series (SPOILERS possible)  (Read 41235 times)

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
Re: Kenobi (Disney+) - (SPOILERS possible)
« Reply #135 on: June 1, 2022, 12:58 PM »
Just watched episode 3.

Ho. Lee. ****.

Me too. I thought it was out on Friday and I was pleasantly surprised. Then I was ecstatic. I'll give it a day, then I want to wallow in all the spoiler goodness.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 1, 2022, 08:14 PM »
OMG!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 1, 2022, 08:43 PM »
My wife is out of town and I can’t watch until Friday night.   :-\

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 1, 2022, 09:36 PM »
Petty bitch.

(Not directed at you Rob!)
« Last Edit: June 1, 2022, 10:36 PM by Muftak »

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 1, 2022, 10:01 PM »
I was surprised to see Zach Braff in the credits.  Apparently he was the alien transport driver.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 1, 2022, 10:06 PM »
My theory on this is that Reva was Obi-Wan's padawan after Anakin (that was never mentioned in ROTS) and that's why she's hunting him down.  She felt as though he abandoned her and thus the obsession with wanting to find him.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #141 on: June 2, 2022, 09:47 AM »

Alright, then I'll hold off.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #142 on: June 2, 2022, 10:09 AM »

You can't figure out how to watch it and not tell her?  Amateur.
« Last Edit: June 2, 2022, 10:11 AM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 2, 2022, 10:16 AM »
Ugh, I guess I am the only one who REALLY did not like last night’s episode. I feel like there are two things at odds with each other going on in this show. One, the internal plots and characters and events, but more importantly how all of this activity dovetails with the rest of the movies.

They are doing an ok job with #1 but #2 is really starting to bother me. I won’t go more into it than that for now, but man, so much revisionist stuff happening.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 2, 2022, 11:51 AM »
I kind of agree that some of the events in the show mess with what I've heard is called "head cannon".  But I've realized that it's just a show and watch it for enjoyment anymore.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 2, 2022, 04:08 PM »
There was one scene that looked like the inspiration came straight out of the EU.  That being Vader walking through the town and leaving carnage in his wake.  It reminded me of something from one of the Darth Bane novels where he indiscriminately kills innocent people.  And he did it because it made the Dark Side of the Force well up in him, making him even more powerful.  I got the sense that Vader did the same thing.

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 3, 2022, 09:56 AM »
Episode 3 Spoiler discussion

I mostly enjoyed the third episode.  A few thoughts/questions:
- Why doesn't Obi-Wan use his saber in battles?  Is he trying to hide and not leave sliced bodies around that are clearly the result of a Jedi, even though people are actively looking for him?
- I liked the tease that there might be more Jedi out there - including Quinlan Vos
- What is the deal with the Vader/Kenobi fight?  Kenobi didn't seem to have any idea what to do in the battle.  Is he that rusty?  I would have liked to see something more like ROTS where they're actively engaged with each other, force pushing each other, etc.  I thought Vader's ability to choke Kenobi, and Kenobi seeming helpless was a little weird.  If he is meant to have weakened powers I kind of wish they would lightly discuss that where Kenobi tells Leia (or someone) that his powers have faded or something.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #147 on: June 3, 2022, 10:06 AM »
Episode 3 Spoiler discussion

I mostly enjoyed the third episode.  A few thoughts/questions:
- Why doesn't Obi-Wan use his saber in battles?  Is he trying to hide and not leave sliced bodies around that are clearly the result of a Jedi, even though people are actively looking for him?
- I liked the tease that there might be more Jedi out there - including Quinlan Vos
- What is the deal with the Vader/Kenobi fight?  Kenobi didn't seem to have any idea what to do in the battle.  Is he that rusty?  I would have liked to see something more like ROTS where they're actively engaged with each other, force pushing each other, etc.  I thought Vader's ability to choke Kenobi, and Kenobi seeming helpless was a little weird.  If he is meant to have weakened powers I kind of wish they would lightly discuss that where Kenobi tells Leia (or someone) that his powers have faded or something.

You nailed it with why Obi-Wan is hesitant to use his lightsaber.  Too distinctive of a wound pattern when you are trying to hide.

As far as Obi-Wan and his lack of ability to use the force, I think it's more of a lack of practice.  He's not running around Tatooine writing wrongs like a Jedi in the Republic would, he's hiding and not trying to draw attention to himself.  At this point in this story, he's not in fighting shape and out of practice.  I'm expecting a training montage at some point so he's much more capable in round two of Vader/Kenobi.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 3, 2022, 10:32 AM »
+1

Obi-Wan seems to be avoiding any trace of using his Jedi abilities and lightsaber unless it's a life or death situation.  Lightsabers leave telltale marks - witness that scene on Tatooine as the Inquisitors are questioning the saloon owner.  The Grand Inquisitor walked over to the wall with the burnt in slashes left by Nari's lightsaber and pointed them out.

When Obi-Wan is meditating earlier in the series it seems like he's barely connecting with the Force.  But when he's on the freighter it seems like he is able to connect to it, but that comes with potential consequences.  Is Vader also able to sense Obi-Wan connecting to the Force?  Witness Obi-Wan's vision of a brooding Anakin / Vader on Mapuzo.  I took that as the two of them connecting through the Force, leading Vader to know that Obi-Wan was there.

I think that Obi-Wan is in the process of hitting his rock bottom.  Bail Organa saw it when he came to confront him.  Reva has taken Leia.  And Obi-Wan was seriously wounded.  I think the next episode will be pivotal for Obi-Wan - to heal, to come to grips with his failures, to train, and possibly to connect with Qui-Gon through the Force.  Odd that it would happen on Jabiim.  But I appreciate the show wanting to go there.  It was the location of a pivotal battle in the Clone Wars (in Dark Horse Comics) where Obi-Wan was captured.  But seeing how that Dark Horse material now falls into the LEGENDS realm, I wonder if or how any of that might factor into the series?

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #149 on: June 3, 2022, 11:21 AM »
I agree with what you guys are saying - I think Ben has pretty much cut himself off from the Force to help hide. (or maybe out of guilt).  Like Nick said, maybe he's worried that using the force makes him more open to detection by other force-sensitives?  I think Obi-Wan straining to catch Leia when she was falling was trying to show us that he's just not "fluent" in the force anymore, for lack of a better term.

I thought that point was really driven home in Episode 3 - Vader points out how weak Obi-Wan has become over the years.  When they finally engage in a lightsaber duel, Vader is basically fending off Obi-Wan using only ONE hand on his saber.  Like, Vader kicked Obi-Wan's ass and he wasn't even really trying.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender