Author Topic: 2024: What Are You Collecting?  (Read 180667 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
2020: What Are You Collecting?
« Reply #345 on: January 1, 2020, 09:17 PM »
Another year in the books. Can it really be 25 years since the launch of modern Star Wars? I, like others here, have accumulated a LOT of stuff in that time. As I say every year, looking to unload more, collect a little less, and condense down. It makes it more and more difficult with so many nostalgia/80s lines on the way. Here’s what I’m looking at for 2020:

Star Wars

Vintage Collection - probably most, or at least anything new or OT based
Black Series - probably quite a bit here too, this line is really hitting its stride now

Marvel Legends

More selective here. They are amazing looking, but just a lot to keep up with. I’m a sucker for classic stuff, and try to keep up on new MCU stuff as well.

Transformers

I ended up getting back into Transformers with the Siege line, which were great, and it looks like a lot of great stuff on the way with the next version, Earthrise. I go for original “arc” bots

MOTU Origins

Mattel’s new line, I know I’ll probably be in. Reasonably priced and seem to be nicely done.

The only other thing off hand is if we get some sort of return of classic GI Joes with the Snake Eyes movie later this year. I’d be in for some 6” Joes (or 3 3/4” if it returns)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: 2018: What Are You Collecting?
« Reply #346 on: January 2, 2020, 09:56 PM »
My list is pretty much the same as last year. We never did get those 2 Bandai PR2 figures, or the McFarlane Steve, so no closure there.

Star Wars- still grappling with keeping up on the 6” stuff. I still haven’t picked up the SDCC exclusives or the Disney sets yet. I often feel like I would like to jump ship on these, but that would pretty much be the end of my SW collecting unless they make any more animated stuff.

Lanard- definitely getting all the new Alien stuff which is totally awesome, would really like to complete my Primal Clash collection too if possible. Will probably grab some of the Time Crisis stuff that is new.

Jurassic World- this is another line I probably should not be getting deeper and deeper into but so far I haven’t been able to quit cold turkey.

Super 7- really hoping to cut back here too, the prices have just gotten prohibitive recently. These are the worst too because I keep nearly all of their stuff carded so it is difficult to display in any way and space is always a premium.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 4, 2020, 11:22 PM »
DUST - What me and my collecting collects.

If they make MOTU Origins Mer-Man and he doesn't stink*, I might get him.

*Until his mold is used to make Stinkor  ;)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 14, 2020, 02:44 PM »
My list won't be much different from past years, but I'll make a new write-up anyway because it's fun reading back through these posts!

For 2020:

Star Wars - I'm pretty behind on Hasbro 6 inch figures and am sort of picky. I did pretty much stop buying 4 inch figures, and even sold some off recently! (I still have a TON that I want to get rid of, so if you need anything, let me know and I'll see if I have it!). I am still all in on the Bandai SH Figuarts figures from Japan, though a lot of the Hasbro figures are starting to blow them out of the water in terms of likeness and paint/sculpting.

LEGO - I continue buying LEGO Star Wars sets at deep discounts but I don't know how much longer I can last. The prices for LEGO are getting to the point where I would need to choose to either collect all LEGO or none at all in order to have a complete collection. I plan on selling off my non Star Wars sets (Marvel, DC, City, etc) pretty soon here.

Marvel Legends - Don't think I bought any in 2019. I have a small assortment of Spider-Man and X-Men comic/90s themed figures. I want to track down the Vintage Storm and Professor X.

Medicom MAFEX Marvel and DC - Another Japanese line I've gone all in on with their Marvel and DC lines. I have Spider-Man and Venom, and am waiting on Jim Lee Wolverine, and Jim Lee Cyclops comes out soon too. I have Carnage on preorder, along with Batman and Superman based on their appearances in Hush. This line is AMAZING, and I'd gladly sell all of my Hasbro Marvel Legends to support it. I just wish these weren't so expensive.

DC Collectibles Batman TAS - I put this every year and still never find anything new in local comic stores, and prices have skyrocketed online. I bought Two Face last year, but that was because I got a $15 credit on Amazon and it cut the price in half. Even the sales keep the figures pretty pricy, going from $28 to $20-22. I guess they're relaunching it with the "The Adventures Continue" line this year, so I'll check some of that out, especially if they rerelease stuff I missed out on (for instance, Joker and Harley Quinn look to be direct rereleases of past figures with better paint).
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 14, 2020, 02:55 PM »
Nothing has really changed for me except that I need to cut something out... We're shopping for a new home now and I'm finally coming to grips with the idea that I'm just never going to have the kind of space I need to make all of this fit in Chicago. 

At the moment I'm walking back on how much ReAction stuff I buy.  Hasbro 3.75" would be the last to go.  I'm still doing OT LEGO, but none of that is out and I have no idea how much will have to stay put away. 

As much as I like the Gentle Giant Mini-Busts, I could see myself walking that back to just OT if I really need to start cutting something out.  There's pretty good money to be pulled out of those things.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #350 on: January 16, 2020, 12:20 AM »
I’m about the same too.  Sold off some extra stuff this past year for extra cash.  Strike while the iron was hot on some of it.  I just beat Hasbro to the punch on some of it being rereleased too, so hooray for me.

I’m collecting acid rain but less duplicates unless sales.  I’m into a new competitor line to Acid Rain from a company called JoyToy...  I wanted Titanfall figures and they basically do em in 1/18.  Hiya keeps getting licenses and while I’m not buying every predator figure they do, I’m buying a lot of them and they’re fantastic.  My 3.75” Mando will run into them at some point.

TVC Star Wars is slow and I’m ok with that.

I customized late last year for the first time in a long time and forgot how much fun I used to have doing that. 

Outside that I’m still building 1/20 model kits and integrating those with my other collecting habits, and I’m also excited by what they’re up to there.

Oh and I have bought the Devil Toys 3.75” figures too but they’re incredibly limited in releases and so I’d almost forgot those.

Chicken Fried Toys I’m trying to have a pretty complete set of cowboy figures, and plan to support further.  I’m extremely happy for Paul on those.

And Marauder this year made world war 2 figures and they’re insanely well done.  This has sparked me to look at my 1/18 military figures more, but more than that I’m pondering selling off the extra hardware I hoarded once to customize.  I have a lot and again, strike while the iron is hot maybe.

It all reads like a lot but honestly it isn’t...  3.75” Star Wars is the bulk there.  Customizing is expanding that more than Hasbro these days.  That barge though, oof.  I shouldn’t have picked that up the more I think about it and look at it displayed.  That thing is a hog.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: 2020: What Are You Collecting?
« Reply #351 on: February 26, 2020, 07:46 PM »
Time for the post Toy Fair update. Hooo boy, was there a lot of neat stuff shown. I’m usually in for the standard “continuing to cut back, focus on Star Wars and Marvel” line, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t tempted by other stuff. First with the old standbys:

Star Wars Vintage Collection and Black Series, picking and choosing but likely picking up more than I don’t. Honestly really excited for the Empire stuff even though a lot of them are repacks. The face scan improvements almost make them like new figures. Snowspeeder and Probot too. For TVC, gimme those Mando figures.

Marvel Honestly Legends has probably been the majority of my purchases since the slow release method of Star Wars started. Legends is kind of the opposite as it is almost too much. Luckily, as nice as they look, a lot of the stuff recently shown is stuff I can live without. I mostly gravitate towards classic comic looks or movie versions. Most excited here for the Spidey retro series with Spidey, Pete, and Gwen Stacy (!), with more to come.

And to “the rest”...

GI Joe Classified Already preordered Snake Eyes, likely in on the rest for now too.

MOTU Origins Not until Fall, and then WM exclusive for this year (ugh), but I like what I see and they are supposed to be affordable. Lots of nostalgia for MOTU stuff because honestly I think it was the toy line I had/got the most of as a kid.

Ghostbusters I kind of feel this could be a big year for Ghostbusters with the new movie and lots of products. I already preordered the “Kenner Real Ghostbusters” re-releases, because I always wanted the team as a kid but was only able to get Egon. That first wave of “Plasma Series” is calling me as well.

TMNT Ultimates There is just too much great Turtles stuff these days. I really like what we have seen previewed from Super 7, and I currently have the first two waves preordered and hope to get them unless it becomes cost prohibitive. I’ve also grabbed some of the NECA cartoon figures that are exclusive to Target. Those are pretty great (with more on the way), but I do sort of feel like I should stick to one Turtles line at some point.

Thundercats Ultimates I missed out on the line when they tried it at Matty, so I think I’m in on these at least for the main characters. The others, we will see.

Transformers: Earthrise It has been awhile since I really “collected” Transformers, but Hasbro has really been killing it the past couple years. I don’t get them all, but try to nab the G1 stuff, specifically the original Arc crew (and ones like the upcoming Arcee)

Overall, way too much. It just seems like a new golden age for an ‘80s kid collector with all of these various properties getting big pushes. I’ll likely stick to my basics, and use a sort of “checks and balances” system for the rest. Adding something new here means I pass on something else there. Only so much money and space!
« Last Edit: March 9, 2020, 10:53 PM by Brian »

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 10, 2020, 01:05 PM »

MOTU Origins Not until Fall, and then WM exclusive for this year (ugh), but I like what I see and they are supposed to be affordable. Lots of nostalgia for MOTU stuff because honestly I think it was the toy line I had/got the most of as a kid.

Oh, you got the Power Con Exclusives, some $200+ worth. Fun that a line not even in stores has pricey con exclusives, huh?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 20, 2020, 12:14 PM »
Star Wars Vintage & Black Series
Masterpiece Transformers
Marvel Legends
Various Lego Sets
Sectaurs (Zica)
Limited Edition Toilet Paper
Cans of Soup (Any variety)

*Not listed in priority order.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 26, 2020, 11:27 PM »
I know I bump this a lot, but I like to keep a little tab on myself as well.  :) So after all the goodies shown at PulseCon (and elsewhere), what is everyone looking at picking up going forward? I keep planning on really narrowing things down, but it has been such a golden time for fans/collectors of 80s properties. Here we go:

Star Wars Vintage Collection and Black Series. I’ve been getting most from both, but really hoping to lean more towards OT (and Mando), we’ll see. Lots of great stuff. Hoping to be able to back the Razor Crest too.

Marvel Legends, and maybe this new retro line. I’ve been pretty in on these too, but it’s.....a lot. Kind of gravitate towards this classic 70s/80s looks when they do them, and I do have an MCU display as well.

GI Joe Classified. Really enjoy this line, but it is difficult to collect right now with exclusives/rarity. I’ve done ok so far, and will probably continue for anything that is somewhat similar to the characters/toys I grew up with. The retro stuff is neat, but WM exclusives so a pain

Masters of the Universe Origins. Love it. Fairly inexpensive, not terrible to keep up with outside of the current WM exclusivity.

Super 7 Ultimates Putting this as a single category, but really covers TMNT and Thundercats. Got the first waves of each in the past month and I really like them. The Turtles in particular are outstanding. The down side is price, but it is nice just being able to put your order in and know you’ll get them when they are ready to ship.

I also grab the odd Transformer here or there, but that looks to be winding down a bit going forward (Beast Wars was neat and all, but a little past my main time of interest). Looking at the list, it is too many lines...too much stuff. I know there will always be some Star Wars and Marvel coming in, after that I’ll have to budget things and see.  Probably try to keep up with Origins, and the TMNT Ultimates for now. Thundercats I’d like to complete the main team. Joes is going to be pick and choose, and overall just being more selective.

One wildcard thing I’d like to see in 2021: With the combo of the Lucasfilm Anniversary and the 40th of Raiders of the Lost Ark, a nice Black Series type, photo real Indiana Jones.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #355 on: October 1, 2020, 09:04 AM »
what is everyone looking at picking up going forward?

TVC 3.75" - I'll buy anything "NEW" and most things "kinda new" (photo-real repaints, deco refreshes, etc).  I skip most things that are straight repack, but will buy repack troopers usually if I've got the budget.  Vehicles are more hit or miss - not buying everything since I just don't have the space anymore.  It really has to wow me to pick it up these days.

SW Kenner Retro 3.75" - I bought the ANH stuff because it was easy (Target) but skipped the ESB stuff because it was hard find (Walmart) and hit at a time my budget didn't really allow it (COVID :().  If the ESB Stuff comes to EE like ANH did, I'd probably pick it up now.  Otherwise I'll live without it.  If they do ROTJ, I'll probably skip that unless I do track down the ESB stuff.

TBS 6" - I'll try to pick up the new Han Solo figures they make and then I usually end up with another 2-3 figures a year for things that catch my eye (Mando and The Child, SDCC Fett, etc).  Very casual with this line.

Other Stuff - I dabble here or there in a lot of other 3.75" lines - Acid Rain, Zica Toys Setaurs, Chicken Fried Toys Dime Novel old west figures, older Marvel Legends, some ReAction, some Boss Fight HACKS stuff.  Anything I think looks like a nice addition to my 3.75" stuff or I think will blend into filling out SW Dioramas/scenes.  Maybe 10-15 figures a year here.

That's pretty much it.  No Transformers.  Not buying the GI Joe 6" line. No He-Man or 6" Marvel Legends.  No Super 7 TMNT or Thundercats.  No Green Lantern/Batman/DC Comics anymore.  Haven't bought a Robot Spirits Gundam figure in over a year.  Some of that is COVID-budget related, some of that is just no more collecting space - or rather, not willing to sell what I've got to make room for those things.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2020, 09:05 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 3, 2020, 05:39 PM »
I’m firmly in downsize mode now. With the explosion of SW 6” releases this year I had to cut back somewhere else, so I finally gave up on Jurassic World. Bummed, but it was the easiest thing to cut out. Now I’m pretty much down to just all the SW 6” releases, plus whatever ReAction stuff appeals to me, which is still a lot.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: 2021: What Are You Collecting?
« Reply #357 on: January 6, 2021, 09:12 PM »
New Year, time to check in with the 2021 outlook. I know I kind of reply to myself here, but I like to have record of my plans - and also to look back in the past to see what was of interest back then. I’ve personally been a broken record as I continue to plan on cutting back, but the more nostalgia driven stuff that is released the more difficult it gets. Here’s what I’m thinking about this year:

Star Wars
Vintage Collection and Black Series. Honestly I wish I could just pick one. Vintage Collection is where my heart is, and Black Series has really been killing it for awhile now. Anything OT or Mando they want to give us, and picking and choosing elsewhere. As much as I love the variety, with all the Mando figures I’d like to see - and more new media on the way - I sometimes wonder if they should focus primarily there.

Marvel
Legends. Probably the best retail line around these days. Tons of releases, lots of variety, decent prices. I don’t buy them all, and I don’t know if I could even if this was the only line I collected.

MOTU Origins
I think I am all in. I’ve picked up what has been available so far, and I’m in for everything else that has been announced. This was my big line as a kid, and these remind me of those so much. I’m happy with the more collector figures from the Classics line, but I’m happy that there is this “fun” line as well.

G.I Joe Classified
I love the figures, but the line is a real pain to find so far. I hope to keep going, but it depends on difficulty. Side note, I’ll keep up with the retro releases as I can (hate the WM exclusivity though)

TMNT Ultimates
I have the first wave, and I REALLY like them. A little pricier, but you do get a lot with each figure, and I like that I can just preorder them and know that they’ll show up. Less stress.

Other Stuff
I pick up the odd Transformer here and there, but I think I just about have all that I’d want. Getting the Thundercats Ultimates as well, not sure if I’ll go all in like TMNT, but would definitely like to get the main team at least. I have found it fun to pick up samples from some Kickstarter lines, some outstanding work done there.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 8, 2021, 01:19 PM »
Star Wars
Still grabbing all the 6" Black Series and TVC I can get my hands on.  I'm not loving the mostly forced online purchasing these days, but am thankful that I'm not falling too far behind through quarantine. I'm trying to buy all the Droid Depot stuff from Disney as well, though I've all but given up on getting the build-a-droid stuff without a park visit. I've also been picking up a good amount of vintage loose stuff here and there from FB Marketplace or FB Groups. 

Marvel
Still nabbing Avengers themed ML here and there, but I've really cut back on these lately.  I skipped Hercules and Falcon from recent waves because I'm already happy with the versions I have.  Still get suckered in with new Iron Man armors or figures like Jocasta (even though I already have an awesome custom).

Transformers
I am still buying a few MP and MP Knock offs here and there, but mostly done with these as well.  I've tried to stay off the collecting boards for fear of getting drawn back in.  I'd love to get a 3rd party Superion, but can't justify the cost just yet.  Not interested in any of the regular retail stuff which helps.

GI Joe Vintage
I picked up the first six of these and they look just okay to me.  Not sure if I'll continue with the line, but if they're a slow build and I can find them easily enough, I'll probably continue for at least a few more waves.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 8, 2021, 09:23 PM »
Yeah, I am really looking to cut back this year for sure. We’ll see how that goes.  :)

Star Wars 6” figures - Getting harder and harder to stay completist with this line, am missing a few things now and the glut of product last year was just overkill.

ReAction 3.75” figures - Really trying to be selective with these now since the prices have gone up, but there are a few things I will always for sure buy (Universal Monsters, etc).

And that’s really what I would like to keep it to, if possible. I will still pick up the odd Marvel Legends figure if it’s something super cool to me, but those are very sporadic. If they end up doing any 3.75” figures for Bad Batch or any of the other animated stuff I would probably get those too.