Author Topic: Marvel Universe  (Read 287173 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #345 on: November 10, 2009, 01:35 PM »
Six inch scale; what is your favorite:

Iron Man
Captain America
Thor

Basically I'm looking for reinforcement that I should sell the Wave 1 versions of these.  Seems older ML stuff is generating some coin, so I'm going to thin the ranks considerably.  It's quite stunning how many figures I have and multiple versions of each character.  It's been said often, but boy I wish this had started as the 3.75" line.  My space is at a premium with the varied aspects of the collection so a goodly chunk of these need to go.  I think I'll end up sticking with 4-5 Spideys and his gallery of villains, some classic X-Men, a FF setup and then some miscellaneous stuff with classic characters.  Most of the Avengers are going to end up going though I think (leaving more with a West Coast Avengers team).  I'd guess I have maybe 100 or so figures, possibly as many as 150 and I'd like to get that down to around 50 or so. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #346 on: November 10, 2009, 03:07 PM »
Iron Man is still my favorite of the three.  That Series 1 version is just sweet – I like it better than most of the follow-up releases and the IM Movie line.  The W8 Silver Centurian is the only one I think is comparable.  If you have either of the S1 Iron Man variants (pointed mask or stealth) and want to get rid of them, please let me know.  I’ve been jonesing for those for some time now!

Thor and Cap are both great too.  I think Cap is more popular, but they rereleased that wave here with a gold foil back instead of the comic, so his production count is probably higher.  Not sure which one you’d get more money for, but I bet you could sell either for $20ish or more.  Are you asking just for curiosity or are you trying to decide which to keep?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Marvel Universe
« Reply #347 on: November 10, 2009, 04:24 PM »
I think you misunderstood...

I'd go with:

Face Off Captain America
Giant Man Thor
Series 1 Iron Man

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #348 on: November 10, 2009, 04:59 PM »
Ah, I did misunderstand.  Here's what I would go with Brent:

Captain America: Toybiz Series 1 (I think the F-O version looks like he's a hunchback)
Original Thor: WM Exclusive Giant Man wave (I like the Marvel Select new look better though)
Iron Man: For me it's a tie between Series 1 Red and Gold and the S8 Silver Centurian.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JabbaJoe

• Jedi Initiate
  • Life Sucks and Beats you Down and then you Die.
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #349 on: November 11, 2009, 09:54 AM »
Found Series 2 Marvel 3.75" figures yesterday at a Wal-Mart here in Minnesota (Bloomington store).  All they had were: figure #1 - Spiderman and figure #2 - Wolverine.  The weird thing was they had 4-5 of each one, so I don't know if they had multiple cases or what or if the figures pictured on the back of the cards are even out yet.  I had not heard Series 2 was even coming out, so I was very surprised. :o

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #350 on: November 11, 2009, 10:48 AM »
Found Series 2 Marvel 3.75" figures yesterday at a Wal-Mart here in Minnesota (Bloomington store).  All they had were: figure #1 - Spiderman and figure #2 - Wolverine.  The weird thing was they had 4-5 of each one, so I don't know if they had multiple cases or what or if the figures pictured on the back of the cards are even out yet.  I had not heard Series 2 was even coming out, so I was very surprised. :o

These must have hit all over in the past few days.  BP had the upside down spiderman and MG had two of the yellow/blue Wolverines as well.  Both had silver centurian Iron Man as well, but no sign of the rest of the wave.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #351 on: November 11, 2009, 10:57 AM »
If anyone is interested, I saw the 2nd (?) wave of the two packs at our TRU this week.  This includes the Torch/Invisible Girl, Dugan/White Hand Ninja, and Stealth Iron Man/Sharon Carter sets I believe.  I picked up the Torch/Sue set, and really like the looks of the "uniform" Fantastic Four together.  It is too bad that Hasbro isn't putting out many Legends figures anymore, because they seem to have gotten much better with this line for the most part.  Aside from the first couple waves, I think I've been pretty happy with what has been released, and wish we saw more of it.

On the Universe side of things, I got a couple of the newer figures (House of M Spidey and Jean Grey) from a HTS order, and they are pretty nicely done.  I also really like the new figure stands they are including with these, and sort of wish we got something similar with the Star Wars figures.  They are flat stands with the characters name printed on them (not on the front like the past SW stands, but more on the actual "flat" stand part) and also the number of the figure in the line (like "001").  I don't know if I care if the figure number was on there, but I sort of wish we had a uniform stand with the character/figure's name on it, and possibly the movie with the Star Wars line.

As for Brent's question, I was fortunate enough to get the earlier versions of the Avenger's "big three", but have seen them since then.  My personal favorites:

Captain America - Face-Off Cap, one of my favorite Legends figures

Iron Man - The Series 1 version is probably the best if you want the "old school" design, although I've heard good things about the recent 2 pack version as well.  I currently have the movie version displayed with my Legends, but that is a more modern look (but a great figure).

Thor - I only have the WM wave one, which looks pretty nice.  My only complaint (and this might just be mine) is that the waist is super loose on the figure I have.  The earlier version is pretty spiffy as well I think.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #352 on: November 11, 2009, 04:32 PM »
Anyone finding Guardian yet? I have Electro and Namor (vested version). And I need any from the wave after that.

I was able to snag a Giantman/Iron Man set for $17! I think it was a glitch in their system, but I'm going to go back and see if I can nab the Skrull/Captain Bucky America for the same price.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
Marvel Universe
« Reply #353 on: November 11, 2009, 04:35 PM »
Guardian and Electro are hanging around several places here.  If you need them I can try to get them for you.

That's an awesome score getting the 2-pack for $17!  Did you get the red/blue Goliath or the yellow/blue one?  We have several red/blue around here but I haven't seen a yellow/blue yet.

John

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #354 on: November 11, 2009, 05:17 PM »
Thanks for the responses on the IM/Thor/Cap question.  I now hate you all.  I figured I could make some coin on them being series 1 but my favorite Cap is the series 1, largely because the Face off version I have has the hood down and if I only have one Cap, it needs to be fully in costume.  The first IM to me is by far the best too.  Thor I think I can live with the bearded version though non-beard wise I think that first one's sculpt is way better than later versions.  Is the bearded version the

Justin, I long ago sold off my variants of Iron Man, sorry.  The gold foil poster was the Canadian/International version I believe.  Most of the early stuff we saw here was with the gold foil poster and I have a bunch of those posters lying around somewhere.  I think I sent Scott my gold IM with that packaging long ago. 

As for that first wave of figures, the bases that came with them were simply stellar as well. 

BTW Scott, did you get rid of your 6" ML stuff as well? 

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #355 on: November 11, 2009, 11:51 PM »
Thor I think I can live with the bearded version though non-beard wise I think that first one's sculpt is way better than later versions.  Is the bearded version the

Yes, the Bearded version is the.   ;)

Justin, I long ago sold off my variants of Iron Man, sorry. 

Oh well, worth a shot.  I gave up trying to actively find these long ago, but whenever I hear about someone selling off their collection I still feel obligated to ask.  Any chance you have a phasing vision you want to get rid of?  ;)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #356 on: November 12, 2009, 01:13 PM »
Hmm, I wonder what I thought there with the unfinished sentence?  I guess I was asking if the Thor from the WM wave was the bearded one, but I don't think he is. 

Nope on phasing Vision either.  I'm pretty sure that was the very first variant I missed in my collection and about the time distribution got really iffy up here.  I was very lucky to find the regular Vision on the pegs only once. 

Offline JabbaJoe

• Jedi Initiate
  • Life Sucks and Beats you Down and then you Die.
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #357 on: November 18, 2009, 08:04 AM »
On Sunday I found the Series 2 Marvel Universe 3.75" figures of Warpath and Sunfire at a Wal-Mart here in Hastings, Minnesota. :)  So these are out now!  Vision and Jean Grey are pictured on the card backs, but I am not sure if these are out or not. ???  I need to find out the case breakdown for this wave.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #358 on: November 18, 2009, 09:25 AM »
On Sunday I found the Series 2 Marvel Universe 3.75" figures of Warpath and Sunfire at a Wal-Mart here in Hastings, Minnesota. :)  So these are out now!  Vision and Jean Grey are pictured on the card backs, but I am not sure if these are out or not. ???  I need to find out the case breakdown for this wave.

Jean, Vision, the "new" Spider-Man, and the unmasked Wolverine are all in the same wave as Warpath and Sunfire ... and they've been hitting across the country for a few weeks now.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
Marvel Universe
« Reply #359 on: November 18, 2009, 09:37 AM »

Jean, Vision, the "new" Spider-Man, and the unmasked Wolverine are all in the same wave as Warpath and Sunfire ... and they've been hitting across the country for a few weeks now.

Any idea what the case breakdown is though?  How many of each figure per case?  I've seen the HOM Spiderman and new Wolvie lurking onthe pegs, but that's it.  Vision and maybe Jean Grey are the only ones I want from this wave.