Author Topic: Vintage Collection Pricing - Sales, Discounts, Price Hikes!  (Read 260028 times)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Collection Pricing - Sales, Discounts, Price Hikes!
« Reply #630 on: March 4, 2012, 02:29 PM »
Picked up 3 Vulture Droids for $21 each at Walmart.

Nice vehicle discounts.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #631 on: March 5, 2012, 01:00 AM »
Yeah the first place I saw any mention of this was ImperialHolocron.com, and now it seems to be a good bit more widespread, similar to the older TVC figures getting dumped for $4 which seems to be nationwide now.

Cool I guess.  May try to get a Vulture Droid at that price if possible.  It's the only thing I'm really interested in though.  Even on clearance there's not much in the line I'd buy.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #632 on: March 5, 2012, 01:09 AM »
I'd get a Dewback if it were $15.
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #633 on: March 5, 2012, 01:40 AM »
It's weird but is Wal-Mart just trying to pre-emptively clear things out for other toy lines that are going to chew up a lot of real-estate in the toy aisles soon?  Or is it the toys getting dumped because the line has been a failure, at least in the eyes of Wal-Mart, and we could see Star Wars scaled back a bit soon, at least there?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: March 5, 2012, 11:09 AM »
I noticed one Wal-Mart in my area had done a reset today - the Star Wars section was moved, but not any smaller.  The items that were on clearance had full price tags on the shelf, but were moved into the clearance section. 

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: March 5, 2012, 03:14 PM »
Or is it the toys getting dumped because the line has been a failure, at least in the eyes of Wal-Mart, and we could see Star Wars scaled back a bit soon, at least there?

This one, I think. Not a coincedence that Target clearanced their 2 packs really quickly as well. The movie dropped out of sight and mind pretty quickly it would seem. The further out we get the more these things are going to stink up the shelves.

I think the figures will continue to move ok for the most part, but I would be worried about that second wave of Class II vehicles, and maybe even the MTT. That stuff should have been out already.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: March 5, 2012, 03:54 PM »
I think that one also has to question the timing of all of this for merchandising... a lot of people JUST went through their toy budget for quite a while at Christmas... and then a new Star Wars line launches a few weeks later? 

I kind of feel bad for Hasbro due to Lucasfilm's timing for the movie release in theaters, but most of what isn't selling is junk repacks.   That part is on Hasbro.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #637 on: March 5, 2012, 04:23 PM »
I agree...  The timing of the 3D releases isn't the best, from a toy marketing standpoint.  It is beating the Summer rush where bigger films are tougher competition, but being right after Christmas is a pretty horrid slot for selling toys.  At least selling them in a big blitz like they tried.

I said before TPM3D was released, how that film ultimately does is going to be really telling on how things move going forward with the line.  I think Hasbro put a lot into something that just wasn't there for them.  Could that Wave 4.1 revision case pre-order be a sign that they've already dramatically shifted their intentions for the rest of the year with the line?

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: March 5, 2012, 04:58 PM »
In all honesty, who DIDN'T see the rereleased movie fading into oblivion. I mean even when the movies were new they made their $300 million and then most people had forgotten about them by July. Remember how the aisle space was always cut down significantly in August during movie years and it got harder to find new figures? Basically take that but with a movie that was only in theaters for two weeks yet still had the major summer push behind it and you've got our current situation.

I think Wal-Mart is just trying to cut its losses early so they don't end up with a glut of product nobody wants. I think the DTF wave is a good wave for the most part but nobody is buying those Qui-Gons or Obi-Wans. And Wal-Mart has THREE versions of those same figures clogging the pegs, four if you count the Obi-Wan Class I Vehicle.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #639 on: March 5, 2012, 08:05 PM »
Probably a CW Obi out there too isn't there?

I think Hasbro was really trying for something though, and I didn't have faith it was going to work.  It'll be interesting to see how, if at all, cases adjust.  Remember those early case pack rumors that floated out?  I'll be really curious to see if that "Revision" case isn't just the adjusted case that is going to retail and early hopes for a big TPM movie year type blitz are getting scrapped.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: March 5, 2012, 08:54 PM »
I don't know how it is elsewhere, but SW in general seems to be pretty slow selling locally for the most part.  Granted, most of it (aside from TVC) is stuff many to most collectors already have, with all the repacks in the Movie Heroes and Clone Wars lines right now (not to mention vehicles, etc.) - and that probably has a lot to do with it.  Star Wars has a big retail presence right (particularly big section at Target currently), but at least around here, the pegs are pretty well packed full most to all of the time.  The Vintage Collection sells decent, but even that is slowing up a bit now aside from Maul and sometimes Sidious.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: March 6, 2012, 02:29 PM »
Not so sure about the Wal-Mart clearance rationale being related to the movie.  Most of the time, the only reason retailers put product on clearance is because they have plans for a POG reset that doesn't include those items.  I don't care how bad SW is selling in your area - the line is still moving more product than just about anything else you will find in the aisle.  I think they are just reallocating space for Summer movie toys.  Not sure what is coming to that aisle from the big flicks like Avengers, Amazing Spiderman, Star Trek 2, GI Joe 2, and a host of potential others (John Carter?, Titans 2? Battleship? Men in Black? Prometheus? Will that lead to an Aliens resurgance?, Dark Knight? Total Recall?)

Remember too that they don't have the nifty DPCI codes for their product like Target does.  That means it is harder for them to tell the difference across various lines of product, so these newer prices might be an accident. For example, if Target has older Battle Packs and wants to make way for new ones, they can flip the switch on an older DPCI and move to a new one, which automatically converts all UPCs associated with each.  There's still room for some errors there of course, but easier to rotate than WalMart.  Maybe WM had older stuff they wanted to move out and someone just coded all the UPCs that looked like they fit in that line.  If you're clearancing out all the old Battle Packs, it would be a simple enough mistake to include the newer UPCs in there as well. 

As for product selling, around the Minneapolis area the only thing limiting sales seems to be distribution.  The 3D figs seem to be selling okay from what I've seen, and there's maybe a handful of vintage/TPM figures on the pegs at most stores.  Sounds like the BR figures are getting scooped up as soon as they hit the pegs as well.  I will give you that repacked Legends, Battle Packs, Deluxe, and Ships aren't selling very well, but that's not really surprising given that it's all old product in a spiffier package.  The price increases on these probably aren't helping either.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #642 on: March 6, 2012, 04:39 PM »
Things here are generally slow right now...  I think TPM3D just wasn't the money maker they were banking on, as far as a resurgence of interest in that film and it's specific toys goes.  I think it's slower than hoped for, but the weekend it released, DTF figures flew off the shelves.  Now, more have shipped and they've hit a bit of a brick wall it seems, but that could just be overshipping, I dunno.  Vintage is moving generally but there are some distinct pegwarmers and they're carried forward in some future waves it seems.

The clearance of th eline at WM could easily be tied to the movie though...  If the movie does poorly, that could directly tie to how much real-estate the line is given throughout the year.  WM can adjust their orders accordingly if they feel it's not doing well, and make room and place bets on the other big movies doing better.

Likewise, I think WM's pretty good about tracking their products like Target is...  They've managed to clearance older Vintage while keeping new vintage out at the same price.  I don't think the DPCI or lackthereof really is that big of an impact from what I've seen.  We like Target's methods because it's easier for us to keep track of, but I think WM's system is probably fairly easy for them to keep a handle on too...  I have seen many examples of WM doing basically the same thing though, just adjusting their assortment #'s around....  Like I said, older Vintage are $4, new are $8.96, both are in the same line.  They're able to do it too.

I think these clearances of E1 things are pretty calculated.  I think WM's just beating other stores to the punch right now on things that aren't meeting sales rates they had hoped for, and because toy aisle resets for Summer aren't all that far off, and other films/lines are going to need the real estate ultimately...  But had TPM3D been a blockbuster again?  Had it been as popular now as it was the weekend it opened (or with only small dropoff), I think you'd see a place like WM considering more real estate for it further into the year, and less quick to pull the trigger on clearances...  I really think this stuff just isn't moving at this point, and that can be tied to the movie pretty easily I think, and the resets are around the corner.  :-\

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: March 6, 2012, 05:38 PM »
The clearance of th eline at WM could easily be tied to the movie though...  If the movie does poorly, that could directly tie to how much real-estate the line is given throughout the year.  WM can adjust their orders accordingly if they feel it's not doing well, and make room and place bets on the other big movies doing better.

Likewise, I think WM's pretty good about tracking their products like Target is...  They've managed to clearance older Vintage while keeping new vintage out at the same price.  I don't think the DPCI or lackthereof really is that big of an impact from what I've seen.  We like Target's methods because it's easier for us to keep track of, but I think WM's system is probably fairly easy for them to keep a handle on too...  I have seen many examples of WM doing basically the same thing though, just adjusting their assortment #'s around....  Like I said, older Vintage are $4, new are $8.96, both are in the same line.  They're able to do it too.

Could be, but I think those orders are placed way in advance.  I don't work in Toys, but I do have some experience with ordering in food and other gen merch products.  Orders are typically placed several months before you ever see the product on shelves.  I would be very surprised if even Wal-Mart with their pull could/would change order quantities with a quick turnaround based on movie performance.  Let's say the movie did very well, they would probably be at least 3-4 months out on resupplying beyond their order unless Hasbro had product sitting around or they were able to divert orders that were planned to ship elsewhere.  I just don't their toy buying department is sophisticated enough to be making early pricing decisions based on movie performance.  Think about their past behavior here - this is the same retailer that has white packaged CW Dooku Deluxe sets just now hitting clearance at $12.   ::) 

Besides, they would still need to have something else lined up to fill those shelves.  Clearancing product without something available to replace it would be pretty foolish.  If the decision was movie based, they would need to have some other replacement product waiting in the wings to fill that space just in case the movie didn't do well.  WM was built on just-in-time distribution solutions, so this would imply that they threw that to the wind and are willing to carry some substantial replacement inventory from other lines just in case SW underperforms.  That seems far fetched to me.

As for UPCs vs. DPCI, there is a difference in how these codes are managed.  I've worked with Target's inventory and pricing systems.  You simply have to code in one DPCI for your changes and it flows through across whatever UPCs are associated with the orders.  If you instead have to enter each UPC or pick them for a list with their limited product names, it would be very easy to include new items with older clearance.  I never said Wal-Mart couldn't manage UPCs or that this would happen across all products.  That would be ridiculous.  I'm just saying that it would be an easy enough mistake to make on a few lines, which is what we're seeing with the current situation.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: March 6, 2012, 10:48 PM »
Not all the Wal-Mart have discounted vehicles, still full price at the one I went to. Battle Packs were $15, though.