Author Topic: Legacy Wave 9 - Return of the Jedi  (Read 84649 times)

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Legacy Wave 9 - Return of the Jedi
« Reply #210 on: August 11, 2009, 06:13 PM »
This figure seems very good for DS2 Luke though.  I'm quite pleased.  Love that he has the binders for pop to force-undo for him too.  Nice touch.

It's a nice figure, without a doubt. But the removable chest piece is kinda pushing it. It does make sense why Hasbro would do this, without it, they would have most likely have to make a completely new figure. But it's good, and we collectors can finally get our hands on a new DS II Luke. Ever since that pathetic "Saga" caveman version...

The Slave Leia is also quite impressive. Very nice, Hasbro.

However, this wave seems more collector-oriented. Kids most likely don't know who's half the characters in this wave. Heck, neither do I!
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 12, 2009, 12:35 AM »
Surprised Hasbro can't go the line of variants for DS Luke, Black tunic and open tunic, like they have for the Hoth Trooper or Ugnaughts... though I suppose it's just like Slave Leia.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 12, 2009, 12:50 AM »
Surprised Hasbro can't go the line of variants for DS Luke, Black tunic and open tunic, like they have for the Hoth Trooper or Ugnaughts... though I suppose it's just like Slave Leia.

Actually, that might have been the best way to go for Hasbro. But, however, opting for an alternate release might have gotten collectors mad. It's one of those "just different enough to get you mad" purchases.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 12, 2009, 11:31 AM »
Hasbro's experimenting with the Luke. I like that, but maybe not the best choice of figures given this one's expectations. We'll just have to see how the swappable part looks aesthetically.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 11:32 AM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #214 on: August 13, 2009, 06:59 PM »
Some very detailed images of Slave Leia turned up in our mailbox today...

Clicky Images to Check 'em Out!

This, to me, may be one of Hasbro's best figures ever IMO.  Taking a page from the last waves of military figures out there, they came up with including a set of pre-posed limbs as an accessory.  21st Cent. Toys put those in with their last waves of figures so they could sit prone and things, and it really was an innovative way to help collectors display their stuff.

It's certainly incentive for me to buy this figure twice.  Shrewd Hasbro, shrewd!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 13, 2009, 08:30 PM »
Why the inclusion of the cup?  Hasbro's been very stingy lately on extras so I would have thought the molded legs with pillow and stick would have been plenty.  Not complaining though.  Looks nice, but the gaps in her waist line looks very funky in the "real" action figure version.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #216 on: August 13, 2009, 10:40 PM »
I think they meant all along to just make the reclining version, but knew it would be unpopular as an imposable statue.  They thought out of the box and came up with an interesting idea on how to give a poseable figure and a pre-posed one at the same time.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 13, 2009, 10:46 PM »
This isn't unprecedented.  We saw this back in the OTC line, when Hasbro offered Dagobah Luke with the handstand arms & head as well as the backpack arms and head.

As for the cup, that belongs to Jabba.  I watched ROTJ the other night, and he's holding in the Sail Barge scenes.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #218 on: August 14, 2009, 12:55 AM »
The dual posing is cool, but at the sacrifice of the sculpt? That's the worst likeness since the POTF2 Leia, IMO, which as we all know is really saying something.

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 14, 2009, 01:07 AM »
I have no problems with the likeness, but those arms, wow... I'd be afraid of her in a dark alley!  In this case (and perhaps in any bare arms character) I would have rathered swivel-cut elbows and swivel shoulders.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #220 on: August 14, 2009, 01:23 AM »
I think we saw Hasbro, at the time of the OTC line, mimicing (again) 21st's line, to acheive the versatility needed for the two iconic poses (since super articulation was still a rarity)...  At the time 21st Cent. Toys included two sets of arms only.  Hasbro was JUST starting to adopt the new methods for manufacturing figures so that they would actually be capable of doing the removable limb thing, easily, at that time.  It was still actually fairly uncommon in the line to have a torso even capable of that.

Now flash forward the latter waves of the military line, and they took their idea to a new level by adding legs for figures that benefited from prone poses due to their accessories or intent (artillery, MG teams, etc.), and a new lower body design overall with the latter couple waves produced.  And again Hasbro uses the same idea/designs to great extent by knocking out Leia's probably most iconic "lounging" pose which is pretty tough to acheive with articulation, but still giving fans that extra articulated set of legs so they make that "definitive" Leia (3rd time's the charm I guess).  It's a first figure and I'm curious if it'll lead to any others.  Luke didn't really give way to others.

I love it, and to me it's miles superior to the Dagobah Luke.  Luke looked good but was ultimately still a statue (definitely a figure I'd like to see delivered with super articulation) any way you sliced it.  Leia delivers both styles.  For me this is what I always asked for from the 2002-ish era, with the extreme posing...  Having both "styles" makes me actually appreciate my old 2002 Jedi a little bit more than I did in 2002.  Now that I know I've got a suitable Luminara Unduli for all seasons, for instance, my 2002 figure doesn't look quite so bad...  Almost a little artistic looking.

On the likeness, I liked it too, actually.   :-[  The POTJ Deluxe is nice, but I think this looks superior to me...  I'm probably more forgiving on human likeness issues though, so I tend to overlook them if they're not too bad.   I liked VTSC Luke Bespin for instance.  Didn't care for the deco, but I thought the sculpt was there and just needed a better skin tone (like Ceremony Luke as well).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 14, 2009, 01:32 AM »
I think the ball joint elbows and shoulders look OK, I'll always take them over swivel cut joints -- I can't stand the way they fall apart.

The face sculpt is pretty decent, but could still be better.  Compare to the POTJ/OTC version:

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #222 on: August 14, 2009, 12:34 PM »
POTJ is way more accurate. And not just in the face sculpt. If I saw just the heads, I would never assume the newer sculpt was supposed to be Carrie Fisher. POTJ pulls it of, I think, despite it being slightly more cartoonish. The new one is a good sculpt as far as a human likeness, but not very accurate as far as a Carrie Fisher likeness. But maybe that's just me....

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #223 on: August 14, 2009, 01:54 PM »
It's not just you.
While I really love the new Slave Leia I have to agree the POTJ sculpt looks more like Carrie. Another fine testament to the POTJ line. I wrote about that line in one of Brian's thread. It set the bar in terns of quality. While the articulation is limited just take a look at Tessek, he still looks great.

Hasbro also gave Leia a boob job with the new sculpt.......

I definitely will buy a few to make some custom Slave Girls including Mara Jade.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #224 on: August 14, 2009, 02:51 PM »
Hasbro also gave Leia a boob job with the new sculpt.......

That's what I was hinting at. Couldn't agree more about the POTJ line. Still my favorite, minus the silly fact files.