Author Topic: 2004 DVD Release List  (Read 100957 times)

SilverZ

Re: 2004 DVD Release List (UPDATE: LOTR Theatrical Trilogy)
« Reply #330 on: March 19, 2004, 08:02 PM »
Final Star Wars Trilogy DVD packaging art is up at the Official Site's Hyperspace section.

For those who aren't members, here's the deal:

- Only 1 package design. Silver for Widescreen, Gold for P&S. Monochromatic metal on black case.
- Angular Vader helmet on 1 side, classic Luke w/ raised saber with Leia, Han, 3P0, R2 similar to original movie poster on side 2
- Spine side A shows "IV A New Hope" with the Roman numerals about 8x the font size of "A New Hope" printed below it. Same pattern repeated down the spine for V and VI
- Spine side B shows "Star Wars Trilogy" printed over the Death Star with an approaching TIE
- Printing is embossed/raised

BEST OF ALL:

- "Each of the four discs in the set will have its own dedicated packaging, designed to fit seamlessly on the shelf with the Star Wars DVDs already in your collection. "

It's a case with 4 keepcases inside!  ;D Awesome.

Edit: DavisDVD seems to think it's dandy to publish Hyperspace content, hell, even stick their logo on it  ::) so here ya go:

DVD case article

Edit 2: And then poof! they took it down.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 11:08 AM by Tydirium »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #331 on: March 19, 2004, 08:34 PM »
Final Star Wars Trilogy DVD packaging art is up at the Official Site's Hyperspace section.

BEST OF ALL:

- "Each of the four discs in the set will have its own dedicated packaging, designed to fit seamlessly on the shelf with the Star Wars DVDs already in your collection. "

It's a case with 4 keepcases inside!  ;D Awesome.

Great news Jared.  Thanks for the head's up.  I'm gonna wander on over and take a gander for myself...   8)

EDIT:  Just checked it out, and it looks pretty cool...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 08:54 PM by JediMAC »

SilverZ

« Reply #332 on: March 22, 2004, 07:06 PM »
Hmmm:

It's direct-to-video, directed by Phil Tippet (stop-motion and CG guru, ATATs and JP Dinos). That alone will sucker me into getting this movie, which, by all odds, has to be a GIANT STEAMING PILE. Anyone else a sucker for this crap?

Up next is the direct-to-DVD sequel Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation (and no, Paul Verhoeven is not back on board). Presented in anamorphic widescreen and Dolby Digital 5.1, extras include an audio commentary with the filmmaking team, the "From Green Screen to Silver Screen" and "Inside the Federation" featurettes, a still gallery and bonus trailers. Retail will list for $24.95.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #333 on: March 22, 2004, 07:38 PM »
Anyone else a sucker for this crap?

If Dina Meyer gets butt-nekkid again, I'm all over it!   8)

BTW, what's the difference(s) between the Special Edition Starship Troopers (original one), and the Superbit version?  Is either one better than the other?  More extras on the former, but better quality on the latter?

I've just got the cheapass bare bones crap version, and would like to upgrade to one of these some time soon.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #334 on: March 22, 2004, 07:42 PM »
this movie, which, by all odds, has to be a GIANT STEAMING PILE. Anyone else a sucker for this crap?

Well, there is one guy, who will go unnamed, but he deleted his account a week or two ago. . .

:-X
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 22, 2004, 09:19 PM »
For fellow children of the 80's, the definitive Cold War nuke TV movie finally has a DVD release, according to DavisDVD.com:

MGM Home Entertainment will at long last release the made-for-TV event The Day After onto DVD on May 18th. This controversial and truly frightening 1983 telefilm follows the events leading up to and following a devastating nuclear attack on the United States by the Soviet Union. The disc is expected to arrive with a 1.78:1 anamorphic transfer of the 126-minute cut, Dolby Digital 2.0 audio and a newly created behind-the-scenes featurette. Not included on this disc, however, is the terrific audio commentary with director Nicholas Meyer that appeared on the Image Entertainment special edition laserdisc. Retail is $27.98.

Gave me the willies.  :)

Me stealy image from DavisDVD:

Yeah, it gave me the willies, too.

I'm definitely going to add it to my collection (come May).  
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 22, 2004, 11:07 PM »
WOW!! Looks like the film has some pretty good effects.  Gonna have to see it, I got the willies by just looking at the cover and reading the summary! :o
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #337 on: March 22, 2004, 11:49 PM »
WOW!! Looks like the film has some pretty good effects.  Gonna have to see it, I got the willies by just looking at the cover and reading the summary! :o
Definitely NOT a child of the 80's

I can remember 1 time being really scared about this...for some reason when the whole Libya thing went down ('83???) My folks were talking and said..."Think we'll be at war tomorrow?"  Being the naive little guy I was, I thought WWIII was about to begin.  Movies like this didn't help that...

SilverZ

« Reply #338 on: March 25, 2004, 07:27 PM »

If Dina Meyer gets butt-nekkid again, I'm all over it!   8)

BTW, what's the difference(s) between the Special Edition Starship Troopers (original one), and the Superbit version?  Is either one better than the other?  More extras on the former, but better quality on the latter?

I've just got the cheapass bare bones crap version, and would like to upgrade to one of these some time soon.

Well, the original 1-discer is pretty dang old. Either is going to be better than that one, just for compression advancements alone, me thinks. I have the 2-disc, and honestly, I've never put it in to watch.  ::) I pulled out the disc and it has everything from the old release (commentary, etc) and the 2nd disc has screen tests, a bunch of little featurettes, and what looks like a larger "Death from Above" doc. There's an isolated score on the 1st disc, too, which seems kinda cool. Honestly, I'd skip the Superbit and get this one unless you're planning on setting up some 100" screen or something.

Mainland, don't rush out and get The Day After because of the cover if you want like Terminator 3 style nuke 'em mayhem, most of the movie is really slow drama stuff, just really creepy in a "what-if" way.  :)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #339 on: March 25, 2004, 07:32 PM »
...unless you're planning on setting up some 100" screen or something.

Not planning on buying one, but I was contemplating breaking into your place yesterday while you were away up north, and stealing yours!   ;)

Maybe next time though...

SilverZ

« Reply #340 on: March 25, 2004, 07:48 PM »

...and stealing yours!   ;)

Why you no good, two timing swindler!  ;)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: 2004 DVD Release List
« Reply #341 on: March 26, 2004, 05:07 PM »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #342 on: March 26, 2004, 05:16 PM »
Forgive me if I missed any mention of this along the way, but has there been any talk of putting The Wonder Years TV show out on DVD?  That's one of the few TV series that I'd possibly consider buying.

Anyone heard anything on it?  I'd assume it must be in the thought process or pipeline at this point...

Gots to get me some Madeliene.   8)   :-*

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 27, 2004, 12:30 PM »
Matt, I believe that there are issues with music rights.  Same thing with WKRP in Cinncinatti.  Might be awhile before we see those on DVD.
Common sense isn't so common

SilverZ

« Reply #344 on: March 27, 2004, 08:15 PM »
Anyone pick up "The Rundown"? I watched it the other night, and honestly really liked it! It plays out like an Arnold movie from his peak days. Fun and stupid with lots of action.