Author Topic: Batman v Superman / Justice League / DC Movies  (Read 87009 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Batman v Superman / Justice League / DC Movies
« Reply #285 on: March 27, 2017, 02:12 PM »
No, he can't control water like Hydroman.  He can talk to marine life, breathe underwater, has super strength and sight from living under water, can withstand extreme cold and pressure, and I think he's bulletproof as well ('cause why not).  I think he's a half breed - part Atlantean, part human.  Pretty similar to the Submariner in Marvel comics, but more hairy and he can't fly.  The trident might be super strong, but I don't think its magical.  I thought I recalled that he gets weaker the more time he spends out of water though - like Superman without the power of the sun to recharge him.  I guess its the movies, so they can change it up however they want. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #286 on: March 27, 2017, 02:29 PM »
No, he can't control water like Hydroman.  He can talk to marine life, breathe underwater, has super strength and sight from living under water, can withstand extreme cold and pressure, and I think he's bulletproof as well ('cause why not). 

I think the bullet-proof skin thing was something about how his skin had thickened to survive the pressuses of the deep water that it was bullet resistant but not totally bullet proof (depends on the distance, speed/size of bullet, etc).

Like you said, I won't be surprised if they pick and choose or even give him new powers for the movie universe because, why not?  If you can make Batman use guns and Superman as whiny as he is/was, why not give Hydroman powers to Aquaman if it makes for a cool movie scene where he's throwing water around.  ::)

I still think it's funny that DC re-invented Aquaman as a topless, long-haired bad-ass in the 90s and all the old school fans complained, waiting "regular" short hair, orange shirt Aquaman back.  Now, for the movies, we've got Momoa as long-hair, bad-ass Aquaman and everyone seems to love it. :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 28, 2017, 09:40 AM »
Barry Allen: What's your super power?
Bruce Wayne: I'm rich.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #288 on: March 28, 2017, 11:09 AM »
I can see how some people would find that line clever and funny.

Some people.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #289 on: March 28, 2017, 11:35 AM »
The trailer didn't give me any confidence this will be better than what we've got so far. I think it will be funnier, or at least quippier, but MEH. Wonder Woman - YAY. Aquaman - I think he will be cool. Flash - why isn't this the TV guy? Cyborg - the CGI so far looks not good. Batman - Ben Affleck just seems tired already of all this BS.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 31, 2017, 10:23 PM »
I can't believe I'm saying this but Wonder Woman  was very good.

My least favorite parts were the super hero stuff, but the story was good and you can't go wrong killing German soldiers
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 1, 2017, 09:32 AM »
I'm going to skip Wonder Woman.  And it's not just about this film, but I'm also checking out on any further DC universe films.  I thought the Nolan/Bale trilogy of Batman films were excellent.  And I still consider it a colossal failure on the part of Warner Brothers to not build their DC cinematic universe around that trilogy of films.  The Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern film was awful.  I liked 'Man of Steel', but that film had some faults.  As for 'Batman V Superman'?  I see now that film had some major problems.  And I caught a bit of Suicide Squad on cable.... blech.  I feel like I've given DC a solid chance, but now I have to cut bait and move on, even if there have been positive reviews for Wonder Woman.  I feel far more invested in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and I'll keep my attention on that movie franchise.

The thing about that movie that's getting me?  This reaction from male fans about some women's only screenings that only a few theaters are holding.  FFS guys, get over yourselves.  Are you really THAT insecure that you need to attack something like that?

Another reason that I'm skipping WW?  Time.  I barely have any time to catch a movie these days.  I still want to see GOTG vol 2 and Alien Covenant, and I still haven't been able to do that.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 1, 2017, 03:27 PM »

I caught it last night as well and have mostly good things to say about it.  I'd give it a 7 or 8 our of 10 and it's definitely my favorite DC movie to date (which is still not saying much).  The backstory is really well done and the fight scenes were excellent.  There are a LOT of slow-down sequences in every fight (Matrix style), which I know some people hate, but I think it's a great device for comic-book-like action where you really want to hang with the visual for a few extra seconds.  The acting and plot were mostly solid and they did a good job mixing in some humor (like WW changing her clothes to fit in, but still wanting to carry her sword and shield down the street). Cool seeing her figure out her powers with each new battle as well.  She's got moves like Captain America, the Hulk's smash mouth strength, and the body of Black Widow.  Not a bad recipe for a successful action hero.

On the negative side, I can see where the story gets a little slow for more casual fans. There's no sex or nudity, but some of the sex-talk had my 10yo squirming a bit. It was natural and fit well with the movie - just be a little prepared for questions if you bring your kid. As much as I liked the WW fight scenes, I didn't remotely understand her power set by the end of the movie.  I can't tell if I just know Marvel characters a lot better, but I can't even begin to describe the stuff WW can do once you get past her strength and agility. It also felt a LOT like the Captain America movie, just using a hot chick in place of the captain.  I really liked that movie though, so no harm done.  The only serious complaint I really have is the heavy-handed "make war, not love" message throughout the film and at the very end.  Its clear pretty early on that WW grew up sheltered from the outside world and wasn't prepared for the horrors of war - we didn't need that hammered in 16 times.  Just felt a bit forced to me by the end. 

The thing about that movie that's getting me?  This reaction from male fans about some women's only screenings that only a few theaters are holding.  FFS guys, get over yourselves.  Are you really THAT insecure that you need to attack something like that?

I haven't heard anything about this.  Is that even legal?  I guess I wouldn't complain so long as there were other outlets and movie times that didn't inconvenience when and where I wanted to watch the movie.  That said, I think this would be less of an issue if middle-age white guys felt like someone out there was looking out for them too.  Not looking to derail with a big debate on this, but when there's an activist group for every other person in society, I guess I can see feeling a little unrepresented.  I think a women-only showing is a neat idea, but then what would the public reaction be to a theater only having screenings for men when Iron Man came out or black-only screenings of Black Panther?  When you celebrate one group's diversity while frowning on the other, that's discrimination.  I think you'd find a lot less protest here if it was socially acceptable to have men-only events.  Just my two cents.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #293 on: June 1, 2017, 03:44 PM »
I take the anti-women-only protest as more of a "trying to prove a point" protest than a "legitimately offended" protest.  I read somewhere that there were some guys who drove hours to attend the Austin screening only to learn when they arrived that they weren't allowed in, and I'm sure those guys had legit beef.  But everyone else I think it's the same sort of faux rage used all over the place to point out hypocrisy and express general cultural discontent.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 1, 2017, 04:01 PM »
I agree the make love not war got a little over the top, but liked the general idea.

As a whole people suck. We are all selfish and have screwed up this world. Once WW realized that,  (trying to avoid spoilers) she could have gone the way she originally wanted but because of what love can do she decided humans are worth saving
« Last Edit: June 2, 2017, 09:22 PM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 1, 2017, 06:59 PM »
I take the anti-women-only protest as more of a "trying to prove a point" protest than a "legitimately offended" protest.  I read somewhere that there were some guys who drove hours to attend the Austin screening only to learn when they arrived that they weren't allowed in, and I'm sure those guys had legit beef.  But everyone else I think it's the same sort of faux rage used all over the place to point out hypocrisy and express general cultural discontent.

At the very least it's misplaced energy.  But it does come across as a similar brand of ugliness that came out of gamergate.

And then there's some rightwing blogger who has been recently bashing the new generation of Star Wars for having strong female characters, but seemed to have totally forgotten about Leia.  Trying to stir up nonsense like this in fandom for comic and sci-fi movies seems like a monumental waste of time.  But then these genres have been a home for many an internet troll over the years.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #296 on: June 2, 2017, 06:44 PM »
I saw Wonder Woman today and LOVED it. Beyond being the best of the DCU films, it's one of the best superhero films. Not without its flaws. I'll say I actually enjoyed her earnestness. It's such a strong contrast to either the grim dark or wink and nod heroes we usually get. I liked that her heroism and compassion were unmitigated.

The 'controversy' over the screening barely merits any mention, other than it's sadly of the same ugly strain of thought that dismisses Rey as a Mary Sue or you hear coming out of bros who say 'I'm taking my Star Wars back.' You never had it to begin with, buddy.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 15, 2017, 09:38 AM »
Finally got around to seeing Wonder Woman last night. I thought it was good, not great, but probably in the top 3rd of superhero flicks. And much, MUCH better than the other Snyder garbage. The refreshing thing was the colors they added in at the beginning, and in WW's suit. Too bad they couldn't keep that in and had to keep with the Snyder "everything is dark and dreary" junk.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 16, 2017, 09:39 AM »
Finally got around to seeing Wonder Woman last night. I thought it was good, not great, but probably in the top 3rd of superhero flicks. And much, MUCH better than the other Snyder garbage. The refreshing thing was the colors they added in at the beginning, and in WW's suit. Too bad they couldn't keep that in and had to keep with the Snyder "everything is dark and dreary" junk.

Agreed.  I think that if this movie carried a Marvel banner at the beginning, people would be calling it middle-of-the-road.  Definitely not worthy of the orgasms the ladies behind us in the theater were having when the credits rolled. 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #299 on: June 19, 2017, 11:20 PM »
I saw WW on sunday...I liked it better when it was called Captain America the First Avenger
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 11:21 PM by Scott »