Author Topic: Disney+ Streaming Service  (Read 66173 times)

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
Re: Disney+ Streaming Service
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2021, 11:43 AM »
I had to delete the app from my TV, reboot the TV, reload the app and then it worked.  It had to be my TV that was the issue because I could watch it fine on my phone.  Good to know in case it happens again.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2021, 10:56 AM »
Do we know roughly how many episodes each of the planned Star Wars series will be?

I'm not sure if the Marvel series will be any indication, but its interesting to see that Wandavision was 9 while Falcon and The Winter Soldier was only 6.  I'm not sure if either of those is supposed to have a second season or if they're just meant to be setups for movies that are coming out in the future.  I know Wandavision helps setup the next Doctor Strange movie, but I'm unaware of Falcon setting anything up.

I could see the benefit of both approaches, but from a selfish perspective I'd love to see The Mandalorian, and Kenobi, and some of these other series go on for years, especially if there is no movie tie in.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2021, 02:32 PM »
Do we know roughly how many episodes each of the planned Star Wars series will be?

I'm not sure if the Marvel series will be any indication, but its interesting to see that Wandavision was 9 while Falcon and The Winter Soldier was only 6.  I'm not sure if either of those is supposed to have a second season or if they're just meant to be setups for movies that are coming out in the future.  I know Wandavision helps setup the next Doctor Strange movie, but I'm unaware of Falcon setting anything up.

I could see the benefit of both approaches, but from a selfish perspective I'd love to see The Mandalorian, and Kenobi, and some of these other series go on for years, especially if there is no movie tie in.

Wandavision was actually supposed to be 10 episodes in total, but they weren't able to do everything they wanted due to COVID-19.  They ended up spreading the events of one episode across a few others to make it more cohesive.  That's why the ending doesn't really feature certain characters like Darcy - she was on the opposite coast and couldn't get to where they were filming between travel restrictions and quarantine.  It was rumored that Cumberbatch would have a guest appearance as well, but he was in New Zealand, so not at all feasible to get him back and forth in time.  Senior Scratchy (Agatha's bunny) didn't have a payoff by the end, but was supposed to be some kind of demon and a scene was cut with him trapping the twins in the underground lair.  But it doesn't really lend itself to a sequel - it was intended to get the character from Wanda to Scarlet Witch, bring back a form of the Vision, and introduce Photon & SWORD while connecting some past elements to the continuity (Darcy, Woo, the blip, etc.).  Maybe even an intro to the Young Avengers if they can bring Billy and Tommy back somehow.

I thought I read somewhere that Kenobi is six episodes, but an hour in length.  I think number of episodes is a little ambiguous and less meaningful given each episode has varying time lengths.  FATWS was fewer episodes, but each was longer than WV, so similar amount of content in a more compact form I think.  Not sure which I prefer - I felt like the shorter WandaVision episodes made it feel like a longer experience and enabled more cliff hangers.  That FATWS episode where they go to Madripoor, find agent Carter, Walker gets the syrum and kills a badguy all in under an hour felt like it could have been 2-3 episodes.  I don't think either of these are intended for sequels - as you said, they are plot movements intended to set up future movie events without having to go too far into the background/origin of slower paced events.  That's been Marvel's strategy all along with the solo movies advancing the background development so team films can focus more on a cohesive plot/singular storyline.

Star Wars is a totally different animal.  Where Marvel is pushing out different sized chapters of an ongoing mega-story, Star Wars is bouncing around the timelines filling in previously unexplored gaps.  That gives them a lot more freedom to do multiple seasons because they're not trying to time multiple other projects off of each individual show.  For example, Black Panther had to happen before Infinity War to establish Wakanda's tech and army, but they had to wait until Endgame finished to bring Spidey back from the blip for Far From Home.  Kenobi, Mandalorian, etc. could be one season or ten seasons because there's nothing else immediately following the storyline to force an ending.  Rogue One is the only modern release that really cuts off the potential for a sequel because it leads right into ANH, and even there they found a way to run a prequel instead.  It will probably just depend on how well these shows do.  I think Solo would have gone right into a sequel if it had been better received.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2022, 03:35 AM »
Price bump and Ads coming to Disney+ ...

Starting Dec. 8, a version of the Disney streaming service will be available with ads for $7.99 a month. If you’re scratching your head, doing the math, and wondering why that’s about the same as your current ad-free subscription, that’s because the ad-free tier is going to bump up to $10.99 a month. The ad version will be known as Disney Plus Basic, with the ad-free tier known as Disney Plus Premium. All Disney Plus titles will still be available across both platforms.

This is a similar model to Hulu, another Disney-owned streaming service, which also has ad-free and ad models. And yes, Hulu is also set to get a price increase, starting on Oct. 10. The basic subscription will increase by a dollar, from $6.99 to $7.99, with the ad-free tier going from $12.99 to $14.99. Meanwhile, the Disney Plus Bundle — which currently includes Hulu with ads, Disney Plus with no ads, and ESPN Plus — will increase from $13.99 to $14.99 a month. The premium version, which includes ad-free Hulu, will remain the same at $19.99 a month. Meanwhile, Disney already announced that ESPN Plus prices will increase by the end of the month.

I can't say I'm surprised by the price hikes at all, and it ultimately won't make me cancel, but it is still a bit disappointing to see. I really wish Disney would just offer a full ad-free bundle for Disney+, Hulu, & ESPN+. Hulu is borderline unwatchable with ads. (Speaking as someone who cut the cable cord almost 7 years ago, and has become very un-used to commercials.)
"This is the way."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2022, 11:08 PM »
The ad version will go away when they lose a ton of subscribers.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2022, 10:29 PM »
So sick of the streaming wars nonsense…

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 1, 2023, 09:10 AM »
I just noticed that Young Indiana Jones got added to Disney+.  Not sure when that happened, but I'm pretty stoked to have those added to the catalog.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 1, 2023, 09:43 AM »
I saw something about the Young Indiana Jones adventures being added to Disney+ on social media, and I have to say that I was thrilled by the news!  Last night I started watching it and it looks like the entire series dropped.  It had been so long since I had seen the show that I didn't realize every episode was 90+ minutes. 

Trying not to get Indy overload right now.  I just re-watched Temple of Doom over the weekend while it was still on Amazon Prime.  I guess I'll switch my IJ re-watches to Disney+ now.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 1, 2023, 01:31 PM »
I just noticed that they're jacking the price up another $25 or so.  Can't say I'm surprised, everyone everywhere is taking their pound of flesh... but it's definitely disappointing.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2023, 10:09 PM »
Hey so… Willow…I know the reviews are bad, but I wanted to watch it anyway.

So I started a couple weeks ago when my wife was out of town, and got through all but the finale before she got back home. 

Since she didn’t care I stopped watching it… and then I went today to load up the last episode to discover that they removed it from Disney Plus.

So first, does anyone know anywhere that I can watch the last episode?!?

Ans second, what the ****?!   Why take it down?  It’s new content, it’s paid for…what’s the harm I leaving it there

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2023, 08:29 AM »
Why take it down?  It’s new content, it’s paid for…what’s the harm I leaving it there

#1.  Residuals. It's a small cost, but you don't have to pay it if you're not airing the thing anymore.
#2.  Resale.  Selling your older content to FAST networks (Free Ad-Supported Television) like Pluto, Tubi, Roku Channel, etc. in some cases makes the streamer more money than what you'd make from potential subscribers looking for that content.

Welcome to the new era of FOMO in streaming networks.  Are you one of those folks who pays for HBO/Disney+/Netflix/etc, watches everything in 3 months then drops it to pay for another service for 3 months?  Well you might miss out on something because it'll only be here a limited time then we're selling it to someone else!  Another way to try to take as much money from you as they can.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2023, 11:31 AM »
Don't worry Rob...you really didn't miss much.  That show was written by people who didn't watch the original movie at all.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2023, 06:16 PM »
Don't worry Rob...you really didn't miss much.  That show was written by people who didn't watch the original movie at all.

Yeah it's the principle.  Like, an email warning people who are half way through a series that the series is going to vanish would be nice!

#1.  Residuals. It's a small cost, but you don't have to pay it if you're not airing the thing anymore.
#2.  Resale.  Selling your older content to FAST networks (Free Ad-Supported Television) like Pluto, Tubi, Roku Channel, etc. in some cases makes the streamer more money than what you'd make from potential subscribers looking for that content.

Welcome to the new era of FOMO in streaming networks.  Are you one of those folks who pays for HBO/Disney+/Netflix/etc, watches everything in 3 months then drops it to pay for another service for 3 months?  Well you might miss out on something because it'll only be here a limited time then we're selling it to someone else!  Another way to try to take as much money from you as they can.

Makes sense, but is still lame.  We're not people who jump around, we have Netflix (although it's part of my brother in law's account, so if they're really killing family account sharing, that might go soon), I pay for Disney Plus and Shudder.  Max is free with my Direct TV / AT&T package... we get Prime because we pay for Amazon Prime... my wife pays for Apple Plus. 

I like the freedom. 

What you're saying makes sense, it's also incredibly lame.  It's not like Willow was old.  It was just released 7 months ago.  I'm super annoyed that there's no way to watch it, especially given that in the interim about the price increase.  I basically pay for Plus just to watch Star Wars stuff, and occasionally a Marvel movie.  So this nonsense about the first non-SW or Marvel thing I've watched getting ****-canned before I can finish it is really obnoxious.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 06:17 PM by Rob »

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2023, 08:57 AM »
It does seem odd, unless Disney doesn't fully own it, but I assumed Disney fully owned it. 

I always got the sense that Disney was working to make D+ a perpetual, full catalog of their content, and that was part of the reason why they were issuing very few DVDs of their new content.

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2023, 06:50 PM »
I saw this article basically saying that Disney spent $100M on production (which was discoverable due to the filming credits Disney got from Britain ansd Wales) and removing it from streaming allows them to write off the loss.

[urlhttps://www.forbes.com/sites/carolinereid/2023/08/15/revealed-the-abandoned-streaming-series-that-cost-disney-100-million/?sh=4a27976b620e[/url]
I am not the Stig