Author Topic: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...  (Read 194718 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Everything eBay! Scams, questions, etc...
« Reply #810 on: January 19, 2021, 11:26 AM »
And by extension, probably not a linchpin for identify theft.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: January 20, 2021, 07:00 AM »
I haven't sold on ebay for over a year now.  I knew they were eventually getting rid of paypal as a payment method.  I made a purchase around Christmas and was still able to use paypal to pay for it.  At this point, I really don't think ebay gives any sort of protection as seller anymore.  I have found Facebook marketplace to be much easier to use at this point.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: March 26, 2021, 03:02 PM »
Not eBay related, but wanted to get people's thoughts on Facebook Marketplace?

I was thinking of listing some of my Legos and other Star Wars stuff, but I'm not sure the pitfalls to watch out for.  I'd appreciate any advice from those that have used it.

- Do you just list local for pickup, or do you allow for shipping?
- Related to the above, if you do shipping how do you manage the payment part?  It looks like you don't get paid until four days after an item ships?!?  That seems like a non-starter.

Anything else I should think of or watch out for?

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: March 29, 2021, 09:06 AM »
I have sold a bunch of Star Wars stuff through marketplace.  There is nothing that restricts getting paid before shipping.  Perhaps they do if you pay through facebook itself.  Honestly FB only gets involved if you are trying to list something illegal.  The bots will generally block a listing for a replica blaster, they have even blocked lightsaber hilt replicas calling it a weapon.

As for listings, I always offer shipping.  I generally list items as $XXX or best offer plus shipping.  All my payments have either been cash in person or paypal for items I have shipped.  I have always been paid first before shipping an item.  Overall, it is so much easier than ebay and you are only paying fees for paypal payments.

You do find you get a lot of people who want something for nothing or people that just don't respond.  Essentially any listing you click on has a standard "is this item still available" message button.  You get a lot of those messages from people who then don't respond when you tell them it is available.  You also get a lot of "I'll pay you $50 shipped for the item you have listed for $100 that will cost $25 to ship".  They are quite persistent in stating they have the money ready to go and that even though the item has sold on ebay $100, ebay and paypal takes fees, so their $50 offer is really generous.  Also they act like they are doing you a favor by having you ship the item rather than meeting to pick it up.  Also be wary of overseas buyers.  I have made a lot of great deals overseas, but also a lot of headaches dealing with them.  No offense to Australians, but a lot of them are a huge pain in the rear.  I have had countless inquiries about multiple lots of stuff.  Put everything together to get a shipping quote, then deleted stuff to get a lower quote, to then finally say, "oh, what about import tax, I can't offer as much because I have to pay that".  As a general rule of thumb, anything over around six pounds is $100 to ship to Australia.  Additionally, USPS only insures up to $200 to Australia.  UPS and Fedex do not want to ship internationally.  Every quote from them is $500.

So overall, it is quite doable, especially if you get local buyers.  At this point, in past year to year and a half, I have sold the following:

All my carded figures from orange carded POTF2 through the beginning of the black series (1995 to 2008 or so)
All my battlepacks, deluxe figures, exclusive figures, etc. (essentially everything that isn't a standard carded figure, but not a vehicle)
All my loose figures (bulk detail to a guy in the UK - he even used a parcel broker, so DHL came to my house to pick everything up, I just had to box it, print out the labels he sent, and fill out a customs form)
A majority of my loose vehicles and beasts (still have several lots listed)
A majority of boxed vehicles and beasts (again, all remaining items are listed, I'm down to 42 items left grouped into several lots)
30 Sideshow 12" figures and counting (starting with prequel items, 19 figures left plus 60 OT items, which I will probably keep a decent amount of)
Several Master Replicas items

Once I get all my listed items sold, I'm moving on to attempting to unload my Hasbro 12" series, then I'm sorting through Legos to see what I want to keep.

Just know that this does take a lot of time and effort between sorting through stuff, taking pictures, and making listings.  My dining room has been a staging area for the past year or so.  Stuff comes up from the basement, then I take pictures and make listings, and just leave it in the dining room until it sells.  You will probably get inquiries from dealers who will offer to buy everything, but that will really lowball you.  At this point, I have made a really decent profit overall, especially since I have sold stuff that I never thought I could unload and the vast majority at cost or above.

So easy answer, definitely go with FB marketplace.  It is really nice when you make a sale and just have to drive a few miles down the road for an in person pick up.  Otherwise, definitely get a digital scale.  I got one on amazon for $25.  It has a 110 lb capacity and I have weighed boxes that are 24" on a side on it.  Also remember that USPS are supposed to measure a box that has any dimension greater than 12".  They always remember on very large boxes, but not always on the smaller ones that they should be measuring.  That will up the shipping price.  Also, they have a max size.  The 24" a side boxes are too large to ship via USPS and have to go UPS.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: May 17, 2021, 06:36 PM »
Saw some people complaining about eBay in the other thread, so I figured I would chime in here. I have had a couple of items go missing in the mail recently, one has never shown up and one showed up the day after I got refunded.

I would like to scale back on using it entirely, but I lot of the stuff I want to buy is on there and I still have tons of junk to get rid of too.  :(
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #815 on: May 17, 2021, 11:27 PM »
Yeah cheap **** eBay is ideal...  can’t quit it on certain things.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: November 11, 2021, 04:29 PM »
I've been cleaning out extras lately and posting on eBay and Facebook.

Holy cow have shipping prices gone up since I last shipped a bunch of stuff (probably a couple of years).  Especially the larger boxes - probably $70 to ship a big box of toys domestically.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: November 11, 2021, 10:27 PM »
Yeah the USPS has a crazy price scale now for shipping where if the LxWxH is under some magic number it's pretty cost effective, and then one inch bigger and it jumps a ton. 

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: November 12, 2021, 12:58 AM »
Now the rest of you know what it’s like to ship stuff out of Texas!  >:D

Seriously, pre-Covid it cost about $15 to ship a single carded 6 inch figure. I lost so many sales because of it. I shudder to think what it costs now.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: November 12, 2021, 08:27 AM »
Yeah the USPS has a crazy price scale now for shipping where if the LxWxH is under some magic number it's pretty cost effective, and then one inch bigger and it jumps a ton.

Yeah, if you can keep all the dimensions under 12" its not obscene, but if you cross that magic threshold to 13"+ prepare to have your wallet emptied.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: November 12, 2021, 10:07 AM »

I have had to get meticulous about determining the size of boxes on my eBay sale shipments.  I just listed a couple of my Koto ArtFX models, and the shipping cost for a box that size is just out of control with USPS Priority Mail.  I almost should start offering UPS Ground instead.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: November 12, 2021, 11:01 AM »

Yeah, if you can keep all the dimensions under 12" its not obscene, but if you cross that magic threshold to 13"+ prepare to have your wallet emptied.

It's not even about having the sides all be 12... it's like if the total of the 3 sides goes over 36, or 40, or whatever number it is, that's when it basically doubles.  The whole thing is inane.  It should just be a gradual scale.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: November 12, 2021, 04:09 PM »
In other eBay craziness, I got a request from eBay to update my information.  Specifically the ssn they have on file for me.  I honestly didn’t recall providing it to them, but I must have because they had the last 4 numbers.  Out of an abundance of caution I didn’t click on any links in the email and just went to the My eBay page. Sure enough there was a message there, too, looking to verify my ssn. Why?

Because eBay is going to send me a 1099 form.  Because I sold over $1000 worth of my own stuff in 2021.  WTAF???  This never happened before when payments were cleared through PayPal. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 04:10 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: November 13, 2021, 03:48 PM »
The tax laws changed this year, lowering the 1099 threshold significantly. If you saved shipping and shipping material receipts you can defray that bit of your "earnings" through tax write-offs. It's a big part of why I do my listings as free shipping for the customer, to have that included as a part of the sales number at the end of year.

It stinks that to sell on eBay now you will have to consider it business these days. And the change to eBay payments wasn't the issue, because PayPal now observes the lower threshold too for any payments that aren't  "friends and family" there.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: November 14, 2021, 11:36 AM »
It’s good to know that I can offset the shipping charges.  But the situation still stinks.  I’m going to have to pore over my PayPal payments to USPS in order to claim those expenses. 

Feedback