Author Topic: 3rd Party Kenner Retro-Style Toys  (Read 9081 times)

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd Party Kenner Retro-Style Toys
« Reply #195 on: April 15, 2023, 11:02 AM »
If you go on the SS FB group, someone made a visual guide for the figures.  Like you noted, you didn't get 000, but there is also a Glasslite C-3PO.  Essentially flat gold paint and not vac metal in appearance.  You have all the unique astromechs.  He did make a Yavin version of R2 which looks very close to a vintage R2.  Not sure if the only difference is dome paint colors.  There is also an R5-D4 which looks identical to vintage.  Others are pop-up saber R2 which looks like the vintage counter part.  Droids R2 which I'm not as familiar with in the vintage realm, but his version has a pop up saber, glasslite R2 with pop up saber, and R2 Uzay version.  There are also three death star droids, silver (which looks like the vintage version), black, and gold.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 15, 2023, 12:02 PM »
Yeah I’ve skipped stuff that I own real versions of.  So no pop-up Artoo or R5-D4 or Silver Death Star Droid for example.

I’m pretty sure the Droids R5 (which I do have but forgot to snag for the photo) is just a custom idea and not based on anything. 

I did buy the black DSD and got a gold one that I’m using it as a vintage style RA-7. 

My understanding is that the Uzay and Glasslite astromechs are from before the split with SLC and are technically SLC offerings.  So I haven’t worried too much about that stuff. 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 12:03 PM by Rob »

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 16, 2023, 08:34 AM »
I'm also unclear as to where the split occurred and I have never seen the glasslite and uzay stuff on either site.  I do have the black R2 with pop-up saber from SLC.  Don't have a SS one to compare to see what the differences are. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 16, 2023, 10:38 AM »
I can’t speak to the uzay stuff but the R2-Q5 style droid differences seemed to just be print on the sticker.  At least, that was the easy way to tell one from the other.  I held out until I could get a proper Stan Solo one, which is what’s in that photo up there.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 18, 2023, 12:23 PM »
Stan Solo talkin' about a movie accurate Greedo coming up. I guess he isn't quitting.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 18, 2023, 02:46 PM »
Haha, I was just coming here to post that.  I guess he’s cooled off now that his Facebook group is private.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 19, 2023, 06:59 AM »
He is still ranting.  Don't give him any suggestions unless you are willing to put up $30K of your own money.  I'm getting a real soup nazi vibe.  He threw someone out of the group for buying from SLC and leaving them a positive review.

The first shots of Greedo do look good.  It looks like his current focus is movie accurate figures with offerings on POTF card with coin and also on alternate cardback that would be either SW, ESB, or ROTJ, and then loose.  Still trying to decide if I go with blue or yellow saber Degobah Luke.  I'm leaning towards yellow because of Bespin Luke.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 10, 2023, 06:43 AM »
Funny thing, after his rant about no suggestions, he posted a thread about give me your suggestions.  I put a post about removable helmet Vader since that is the figure I wanted as a kid after getting Skiff Lando and Boushh.  As luck would have it, he put up renderings of a removable helmet Vader that is in the early stages of production.  He said it is a few months off.  I think he wants to get the second batch of Banthas out as well as RFT and preorders for Degobah Luke first, then Greedo, then Vader.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 10, 2023, 09:36 AM »
Yeah if you scroll far enough down into his old IG posts that Vader was something he started a year or two ago and has resurrected now.  There was also a Bo Shek sculpt way down there and I asked if there was a chance that one would get produced and he responded in the affirmative. 

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 24, 2023, 03:00 PM »
I am certainly enjoying this new part of the hobby since I've quit buying most stuff.  Really down to Hallmark ornaments, books and comics, retro collection, and these types of custom vintage stuff.  I have bought a few vintage pieces in the past year, but not sure how much more I will pick up due to cost.  I'm really considering ditching Hallmark as well due to the cost and the fact they go on the tree for one year then get packed away.

For his upcoming stuff, I pre-ordered Holiday Fett, RFT and Bantha from the UK site.  I think going forward I will just wait for the US site to get stock in to save on the shipping.  I think I'm down to the new jawa and slave leia for what I don't have that are still available.  I have also passed on any remakes of Hasbro figures thinking I might some day fill the last 17 holes in my collection.

As for the man himself, I don't know why he continues.  He posts rants every two or three days.  I can understand being mad seeing ~$40 items being listed on ebay for 5 to 10x, but you can't control what people will do.  I never liked the scalper mentality myself.  I have never bought any SW item with intent to quickly flip it.  Currently, I have an extra Oola and Girindan because I ordered those two and my gf also bought them for me as birthday gifts when I thought everything would sell out when the astromechs were getting all sold.  I haven't bothered trying to sell the extras at this point.  In the past four years, I have sold a bunch of my collection and still have a bunch to sell.  I'm certainly trying to sell for as much as I can get.  Granted, all my items are generally older, but still, I'm not going to sell say a MR saber hilt for the ~$300 MSRP if I can get five to ten times that amount now.  Essentially it comes down to having different priorities, bills to pay, and a different focus in my collection.  In an ideal world, I would sell stuff I don't want and convert it to stuff I do.  One of the bigger attractions to vintage besides the nostalgia, is that it is finite.  There are just so many vehicles and figures.  Even hunting down the few variants isn't as bad as all the modern Hasbro craziness.

As for the custom stuff, I think I may just stick to SS from now on.  I have the Bantha and wave of 13 on "preorder" from TFSB.  If I could go back, I think I would have just went with SS from the beginning, but TFSB is who I found first.  I can't see myself doing a preorder from them again even if I receive everything from them.  The Bantha excuses are pretty thin, but the fact they have only sent two of the 13 other figures is nonsense at this point considering how quickly SS gets stuff out.  For SS, I preordered the Bantha from the second batch 2/15 and the RFT 3/17.  Both are getting ready to ship soon, so we are talking about three and two months for custom made stuff.  By contrast, I was really late to TFSB Bantha, but I preordered that on 1/15/22, and I know people preordered much earlier than I did and still don't have it.  I preordered the wave of 13 on 12/30/21 and have received Thrawn and ST Han.  It has taken way too long.  I just hope to get everything and just move on.  No way I can go with another wave, no mattter what it is.

Online Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 24, 2023, 04:32 PM »
I am certainly enjoying this new part of the hobby since I've quit buying most stuff.  Really down to Hallmark ornaments, books and comics, retro collection, and these types of custom vintage stuff.    I'm really considering ditching Hallmark as well due to the cost and the fact they go on the tree for one year then get packed away.

Wrong thread, I know. 

I cleared all my Hallmark ornaments out over the last two Christmases on eBay.  I had nearly all of them from the first 15 years that they were issued.  I probably broke even or made a little profit on selling them, so if you make the decision to simplify hopefully you'll break even.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 24, 2023, 04:39 PM »
Ultimately, there's a huge difference between selling your stuff for fair market value and scalping.  If I know a hot new toy sells for more on eBay and I buy them up, that's kind of ******.

If I have something I've collected and it has more value now than when I bought it, there's nothing weird or wrong or questionable about selling it for it's going rate. 

I love the Stan Solo stuff, I just paid an arm and a leg for a few of the ones I'd missed, and I'm lucky that I got into them when I did.  Even ones I got for $40 a few months ago are $150 or $200 now... Someday when if I sell them, it'll be for whatever they're worth when that day comes. 

As for ditching stuff... 3.75" Star Wars will be the last to go for me.  If I sell those, it means I straight up quit collecting.

I quit collecting ReAction figures about 3 years ago, I have 450 of those I'm getting ready to throw onto eBay. 

If I decide to keep pairing down, Gentle Giant Mini-Busts are on the chopping block next.  The costs have gone up dramatically, and the sculpt quality has gone down dramatically (on some of them at least... some look great still).

Online Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 24, 2023, 05:08 PM »
As for ditching stuff... 3.75" Star Wars will be the last to go for me.  If I sell those, it means I straight up quit collecting.

If I decide to keep pairing down, Gentle Giant Mini-Busts are on the chopping block next.  The costs have gone up dramatically, and the sculpt quality has gone down dramatically (on some of them at least... some look great still).

Totally agree on both counts. 

I had about 75 mini-busts.  I kept my favorite 15 and sold the rest earlier this year, most for a fairly handsome profit.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 24, 2023, 06:03 PM »
I counted the other day.  I have 238 mini-busts in TEN Detolf cabinets.

I don't have room for an 11th.  So when these are full, I'll have a problem.

At the moment my plan is to stop pre-ordering uglier busts (Endor Han, Bespin Luke) and picking them up when they're clearanced out later because no one wanted them.  But once these cabinets are full...

I've toyed with keeping just OT... I could get rid of a ton of them and still have a collection that way...

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 25, 2023, 06:18 AM »
I really try to avoid ebay for selling, but I may have to resort to it.  Sales have slowed dramatically, but I think that could be due to the state of the economy.  I'm down to the last few items of my 3 3/4" Hasbro stuff.  I was having success with Sideshow 12", but that has died off.  I was trying to unload all the prequel stuff first and haven't tried any OT yet.  I have just begun selling lego stuff.  While prices look great on the sites that track that stuff, making sales has been very difficult.  I don't think a lot of people want to spend the money right now.  Hopefully things pick up soon.