Author Topic: Virginia Tech tragedy  (Read 10110 times)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Virginia Tech tragedy
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2007, 08:01 PM »
And now a gunman has barricaded himself inside NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston.

::)

Happens every single day man.  This is only being reported because it's the theme of the week.

You know - Anna Nicole Week, Imus Week, The Alberto Gonzales Non-Story, Non-Crime, Non-Controversy Week.

This week - Psychos With Guns!

Next week - ?
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2007, 08:12 PM »
What is it about the middle of April that makes all the crazies finally flip their wigs?

OKC bombing - April 19, 1995
Columbine - April 20, 1999
V-Tech - April 16, 2007

And also the Waco Branch Davidian thing, that was on April 19, 1993.  Not exactly the same as the others, but it's still a bizarre, entirely unnecessary incident worth mentioning.

Let's not forget April 14th, 1865: Lincoln's assasination.

(plus, April 4th for MLK's assasination, if you want to stretch it out a couple weeks earlier)

And now a gunman has barricaded himself inside NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston.

CNN's reporting 2 dead there now.

Buncha ******' psycho idiots out there...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 08:13 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2007, 10:45 PM »
Let's not forget April 14th, 1865: Lincoln's assasination.

Yes, let's not.

::)

(plus, April 4th for MLK's assasination, if you want to stretch it out a couple weeks earlier)

What if I don't? 

>:(
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2007, 03:09 AM »
Yes, let's not.

You actually expect me to read page 2 of this thread?  ****.  Instead, how 'bout you try to summarize your thoughts more cohesively, in one place, rather than spilling them sporadically all over the thread.  Thanks.  But since I was attending a history lecture tonight with a fair amount of discussion on Lincoln included, I still get credit for coming up with that one on my own, dammit.  Wild Friday night, I know...  ::)

What if I don't?

I agree.  April 4th was stretching it a bit.  My bad.

I wholeheartedly concur with your Joey Lawrence inclusion however, despite it being lost deep within page 2 there.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 03:10 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2007, 10:33 AM »
I wholeheartedly concur with your Joey Lawrence inclusion however, despite it being lost deep within page 2 there.

Whoa

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2007, 07:08 PM »
Of course this happened because some nut job got pissed at his GF. ::)
Nutjobs should have no contact with chicks, it always ends up in a massacre.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2007, 07:54 PM »

I'm not sure where you heard that, but apparently he's not so much as ever really spoken to a female in romantic fashion.  Everyone right down the line has testified that not only has he never had a girlfriend in his entire life, but he's never even had a date.

He was reprimanded for a couple "stalking" incidents, but the girls didn't know him prior to that.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2007, 12:34 AM »
I have to say it's true. Growing up amid a constant media/Internet barrage of shuttle explosions, terrorist attacks, cult deaths, and school massacres has made me a little dead to all of it. Intellectually, I appreciate that this sort of thing never happened back in the '80s/'70s/'60s'/'50s when you other guys were kids so it's different for you--but for my entire conscious lifetime, that's just how the world has worked.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you Nathan.  I'll agree that the inundation of information is much, much faster now, but honestly, the real difference is you get the information within minutes whereas we saw it either hours later on the evening news or in all it's glory/gory in the print media the following day. 

Where I disagree is if "you" think just because you get it faster and from maybe a couple more sources than us old farts did, that you have some right to become numb and uncaring faster.  To me, and no real offense is intended at you, it's a cop out.  You're numb and don't care too much because you didn't know anyone directly affected?  You're not numb, you're ******* cold and near dead if you give so little of a **** about it.  Really. 

The attitude is typical bull**** that everyone of your age has, regardless of which generation we're speaking of.  Bluntly put your generation hasn't yet pulled their heads out of their asses long enough to accept any sort of responsibility or reality just yet.  I wasn't much different at 19, the world revolved around me.  Still does in certain respects. 

You're right, it's isolated and rare and largely out of your control.  That you write it off on that basis and ignore it is a little disturbing.  That you're ignorant about historical events of the past five decades and so easily suggest this sort of thing never happened previously is pretty much jaw dropping.  Wow.  But that's just my opinion.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2007, 01:32 AM »
I'd listen to Brent, since I think he's even experienced a couple of World Wars in his day.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2007, 01:56 AM »
I'd listen to Brent, since I think he's even experienced a couple of World Wars in his day.

Nah, maybe just Viet Nam :-*

BTW, I don't like Mondays.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2007, 08:29 AM »

Tell me why
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2007, 10:50 AM »

Looks like someone has a case of the Mondays.

;)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2007, 12:54 PM »

Yeah but that was a long time ago back in his prime.  He burst onto the scene experiencing the Revolutionary War followed by the plight of The Civil War.

;)

Offline blimpyboy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Gamorrean lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2007, 02:13 PM »

Where I disagree is if "you" think just because you get it faster and from maybe a couple more sources than us old farts did, that you have some right to become numb and uncaring faster.  To me, and no real offense is intended at you, it's a cop out.  You're numb and don't care too much because you didn't know anyone directly affected?  You're not numb, you're ******* cold and near dead if you give so little of a **** about it.  Really. 

The attitude is typical bull**** that everyone of your age has, regardless of which generation we're speaking of.  Bluntly put your generation hasn't yet pulled their heads out of their asses long enough to accept any sort of responsibility or reality just yet.  I wasn't much different at 19, the world revolved around me.  Still does in certain respects. 

You're right, it's isolated and rare and largely out of your control.  That you write it off on that basis and ignore it is a little disturbing.  That you're ignorant about historical events of the past five decades and so easily suggest this sort of thing never happened previously is pretty much jaw dropping.  Wow.  But that's just my opinion.

While I agree with you for calling out Nathan on historical inaccuracies (if you think school violence didn't happen in the 60s, think University of Texas at Austin in 1966), I think you're mistaken for calling him a cop-out and writing him off as the typical self-righteous teen who cares for no one other than himself.  I'm probably closer to him than I am to you in age (25), but the bottom line is the world is a *far* more dangerous place than it was even 10 years ago.  "Our generation" may not have collectively pulled out heads out of our asses yet, but for those of us that have, we really wish there were a way we could shove 'em back in.  Yeah, it's that bad.

September 11.  The war in Afghanistan.  Daily violence in Iraq.  Terrorist attacks all over the world.  Oklahoma City.  Columbine.  And now, VT.  And these are just the things we *know* about going on in the world, the events the media covers regularly and with a lot of thunder.  Can't you have a little bit of understanding for growing nonchalant about near-daily reports of another 30 people killed in Baghdad?

I worked in counterterrorism for three years and had to switch.  Why?  Because I was starting to think like the terrorists, a necessity to try to understand their next move, but it turned me into a person I didn't like.  I'd read reports of this attack foiled and that attack foiled, or what they were up to next.  I'd read about the x number of villagers in (insert generic Afghan village) pulled out of their cars and beheaded on the sidewalks for being suspected coalition supporters. 

I switched to counternarcotics because I thought it would be a less depressing field - but the war on drugs is every bit as dirty as the war on terrorism, if not moreso.  Now, I wake up, go to work, read about the Cali drug cartel's torture method against Colombian policemen, and I don't feel anything.  I go to bed, wake up, and do it again the next day. 

The world's a pretty ******* evil place and I'd be careful to write off those who aren't shocked into silence by these tragedies as callous.  I don't think callousness is what they feel.  More like helplessness.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 02:17 PM by blimpyboy »

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2007, 06:48 PM »

I'm not sure where you heard that, but apparently he's not so much as ever really spoken to a female in romantic fashion.  Everyone right down the line has testified that not only has he never had a girlfriend in his entire life, but he's never even had a date.

He was reprimanded for a couple "stalking" incidents, but the girls didn't know him prior to that.
It was maybe the day after it happened that I heard that on the news, maybe it was stalking not a GF problem. I haven't been that up to date on this anymore. Except, I heard his sister appologized for what he did.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m