Author Topic: UGP - a Star Wars WORLD! - news thread  (Read 44205 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Group Project - a Star Wars WORLD!
« Reply #135 on: June 23, 2006, 09:57 AM »
Ok. Sorry for the delay. I've had some technical problems. Here are the project leaders that I would like to have over the various teams.

Assistant Project Leader - Production:   Chewie
Team Leader - Concept Art / overall design :   Glassman6
Team Leader - Diorama design / production : Ryan
Team Leader - Figure and vehicle creation:  Darth_Ennis

I havn't choosen the logistics and planning committee yet. I've been too overwhemed with emails right now and I'm still sorting thru them.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 23, 2006, 11:38 AM »
I've been busy too, mostly with work stuff.

I think that the main issue once we determine the actual size/space we can dedicate is making the flooring for it.  How do we do this without it becoming a mess?  Do we build a large frame for it on site?  I just think having people send it various pieces to the flooring of it will be very unorganized and will be nearly impossible for it to flesh out and look seamless.  That's why I was in favor of sand or some sort of sand-like material for the most of it.  I understand most people may be against that, but speaking from experience, it works.  But if the planet isn't a desert world at all, there are also colored sands that could be used for parts of it too.

Still a lot of planning to do obviously... a group discussion is going to be needed.

:)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 23, 2006, 12:06 PM »
Agreed. We do have that chat comming up tomorrow night at 9pm est.

This size thing is kind of a chicken and the egg agrument. How do you know how big it is going to be until you know how many entries there will be? We also have to consider the flake factor of people volunteering to work on something and what are the odds of them actually doing it on time. We as group leaders need to be extreemly tough on people that don't meet deadlines or don't respond to email requests for status updates.

My though is to agree on the map design.  Then grid it off into one foot square sections.  Each person, depending on reliablilty, will be given buildings or wilderness areas. Basically, if this person has no history for sticking with a project, they will be given less critical things to work on until they prove themselves. If they are not done on time, someone else will be assigned to take over.

The hard part of leadership will be keeping the flaking level down to a minimum.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 23, 2006, 02:10 PM »
I agree with Ryan and Chewie. WE need to start setting the bases for this project. I think the team leader needs to set a game plan and we can go from there.

Also the Kashyyyk idea is cool, but most of that planet is in trees. I don't think many non-Wookiee types would be there too. Could work though.
roron corobb

It could also include a large beach area, so you have water, sand, then trees.  We could include a village.  It also opens up the possibility of an amphibious and ground assault.  And dare I say, aerial?
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 23, 2006, 02:22 PM »
A beach sounds pretty darn cool actually... I like that a lot.

I've loved the ideas everyone has had so far, and I'm going to try and come up wtih another design idea or two.

I will try and make the chat tomorrow night but I have my niece's birthday party, so it will probably be tough to make.

Offline CloneCommander1

• Jedi Initiate
  • Oh no you did-nt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 23, 2006, 02:29 PM »
Y'know, the beach thought gives me an idea.  What about a tropical planet? That would allow us a beach, a semi-dense rainforest as our wilderness, and sand as our base so it dosen't look like a jigsaw puzzle.  What do you think?
It's not just football, it's Notre Dame football!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 23, 2006, 04:38 PM »
Hmmm.... that is kind of cool.

Any of you guys play KOTOR, where there is a tropical planet at the end of the game.  Could be something along those lines.

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 23, 2006, 04:39 PM »
Kyassykk ( Sp?) sounds cool to me. Maybe we could use some of the settings and such from the Christmas special ( Don't laugh I'm being serious.) as reference material.

Im going to go ahead and post a thread looking for volunteers and for the figure and vehicles part of things. AS well as posting for the ideas that anyone may have.

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #143 on: June 23, 2006, 04:45 PM »
Hmmm.... that is kind of cool.

Any of you guys play KOTOR, where there is a tropical planet at the end of the game.  Could be something along those lines.

Yeah Rakata Prime, that was a cool planet. I may have to make a Rakatan. Anyway that kind of planet would be cool with a city and stuff.

Ennis, If my sister can send the figures away for me, I'll gladly join in your group for figure and ship assembly, I also can get large monsters for the jungle too. ;)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 04:47 PM by Smartypants1635 »

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 23, 2006, 04:55 PM »
Monsters would be extremely cool. Id be glad to have you Smarty. Just hop on over to the UGP Customs thread and drop your name.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 23, 2006, 07:18 PM »
Guys,  I am thinking that the base/floor to this will only work if maybe up to three people build the terrain and just have everybody else fill it out with structures, vehicles and figures.   

We really need to start checking on space, costs, and transportation before we go much further though.  Is there someone we can talk to about this that is in the C4 PR team?  Or a project director/event planner?  After we get something going with them, we can start getting a better idea of how big this thing will be.  I am thinking it will be pretty big, but do not know how feasible it will be to make it as big as some people are thinking.  Especially if we want it to look realistic.

Also possibly we can get some sort of sponsor for this to help us with costs, such as Entertainment Earth.  Just a thought.

Some planetary designs at this stage are a great idea, but really I don't think we should get too involved in making stuff until we have a set theme in mind.

A backstory is a fun idea too, but if its going to be a display at C4 then it might not matter, it might end up being whatever the viewer wants to read into it if it's a fan-fiction world.

I do love seeing the enthusiasm in this, but let's not jump ahead of ourselves.  This thing is a long ways off (but it will be here before we know it, LOL).

Online Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #146 on: June 23, 2006, 09:56 PM »
Ok. Sorry for the delay. I've had some technical problems. Here are the project leaders that I would like to have over the various teams.

Assistant Project Leader - Production: Chewie
Team Leader - Concept Art / overall design : Glassman6
Team Leader - Diorama design / production : Ryan
Team Leader - Figure and vehicle creation: Darth_Ennis

I havn't choosen the logistics and planning committee yet. I've been too overwhemed with emails right now and I'm still sorting thru them.

The flowchart has been updated. :)
"This is the way."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 23, 2006, 11:19 PM »
Excellent! Let Glassman6 know.

Smartypants is going to be our secretary. His job is to record weekly developments in a newsletter, do some recruiting and help us keep track of things.

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 23, 2006, 11:45 PM »
I was looking over all the different Ideas for the Diorama and alot of people are talking about making towns or cities, But that would involve alot of Custom Buildings and Considering the talent pool we have here very few customizers make buildings, that would leave the bulk of the work to only a few. I recomend we stick to a more natural setting since Foilage, beaches, rocks, and water are all much easyier to create. I would suggest we make only a couple of structures but really kick but on the ones we make. Some Suggestions that may work: Imperial Bunckers or out post, ruins are always cool, and Villages could be made fairly easy.

Just my 2 cents,
Fritzkrieg
Fritzkrieg

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 24, 2006, 12:20 AM »
So were clear, what exactly does a project secretary do? And what happened to older members being in such positions?

Just so we are clear, of course.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...