Author Topic: The Ultimate Group Project - Diorama Construction/Design  (Read 126463 times)

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Group Project - Diorama Construction/Design
« Reply #480 on: April 20, 2007, 05:57 PM »
Chewie,
Great work, and I really like the droids you made for it. That one with multiple legs looks simple, but is really cool looking. If it just a FX-7 used? Do you have enough droid parts? I have a few more if you need them, like some of those mouse droids, and a interrorgation droid if they can help. Oh and a few of those C-3PO piles from the Bespin Chewbacca. I can shoot them to you or just send them with the globe. Let me know.

Brent,
I don't see any problems with the buildings. If you see problems with the tape you used, I think I see what you are talking about, but it gives them character over something that would be perfect. I really like that add ons you used.

I wish I could see this in person. Once complete, everything is going to be awesome.
roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 21, 2007, 09:05 PM »
Brent- I love those buildings!  It's funny because I used that same Naboo weapon piece or whatever it is on my building generator box!  Here are some pics of the benches I made; I wanted to make 5 but I only had time for 3.  I gotta go out of town in the morning too for a few days, so I guess this finishes me up  :-[.

And here are a few pics of my building with a couple more greeblies added:

Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 22, 2007, 12:25 AM »
Looks great Daigo-bah.  Those benches will look fabulous around the globe and statue areas.   

I've been making more progress - 4 Trees are completely finished.  The last two just need some foliage glued on.  I'll post some pictures tomorrow in the light.   I've got the framework for my Market Stall finished - I scrapped the old one and am going with a new one. 

Phurby - I've got some stuff to mail out so I hope to put a big box together for you.  I'm ready to get some of this out of my house!!!

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 22, 2007, 05:06 PM »
Wow, this thread has been very quiet this weekend.  I hope that means everyone is hard at work!

Here are the finished trees.  I'm pretty sure that some of the foliage will not completely survive shipping.  I'll provide some extra but I'm guessing that some superglue and foliage will be needed during set-up.

I wanted to get more pictures but the wind was really blowing these guys over.  I was afraid of permenant damage!

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #484 on: April 22, 2007, 05:19 PM »
Looks good Brent, I like em alot, do we have smaller trees and such that fill in between those??? I don't remember if those are in the plans or not. I was thinking that we dont have enough buildings...... So i went to home depot and the only sheets of that large insulator foam was like 20 dollars and it was huge, I didnt need that much so I decided to try something with foam core. This isn't a for sure but If I get it done and its approved I'll send it off.

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #485 on: April 22, 2007, 07:23 PM »
It's funny because I used that same Naboo weapon piece or whatever it is on my building generator box! 

ME THREE!!!  I had planned to use all those naboo things. 

Daigo,  Your benches look great. I hope to have a few also.

BrentS...you are on fire!!!  Fire i tell you!!!  Buildings look great...trees look great...Fire!  I'll get some pics up tonight. Finished a building and MArkets stall.  Hoep to get to the holo screens in the next couple evenings.

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #486 on: April 22, 2007, 09:10 PM »
Here are a couple of my additions to the project.

The idea behind the market stall, is that the seller is some ex-madolorian/bounty hunter who is selling
off his trinkets that he has collected over the years.
If i dont get to finish the figure, anyone will do.

Here is everything i used.

The rest of the building.

Here are some wips.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 09:14 PM by Glassman6 »

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 22, 2007, 11:52 PM »
Glass, if need be, I've got a Mandolorian who could fill in for yours if he goes MIA?

Let me know, I'll be sending him any way.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 23, 2007, 12:19 PM »
Glassman, that's awesome buddy.  Really fantastic work... the building looks stellar, great work on all the details on the building.  The market stall looks great as well!  Awesome!

Thanks Brent for making those trees... they look great to me.  I like the size of them, and they are detailed well.  Will really add life to the landscape.  Great work man!

FULL SIZE

JUNK YARD OWNER

This guy was made from a POTF2 Ponda Baba, and the Rodian band member in ROTJ.  I actually made him a while back but thought he would look ok as the owner of this place.

THE DROIDS

Gonk - just a repaint
Repair Droid - made up mostly from POTJ FX-7

Artillery Droid - made from some Capcom robot parts and a STAP piece
ASP Droid - just a repaint

Sensor Droid - made from the Chameleon Droid and a couple thermal detonators
Medical Droid - made from  Firespeeder pilot backpack, SAGA research droid, POTJ FX-7 and OTC IG-88 - made this one a few months ago for the project.

This is just a droid I made a couple weeks ago for the scene, should fit in well for it.

This is just a box of junk that I made, and a little droid from one of the old EPI accessory sets.

DIORAMA PICS

===============================================

Overall, I'm very pleased with how it turned out!

( 1 ) For assembly, it was mainly styrene.  Measuring, cutting, gluing together.  Then a lot of sanding - wihtout sandpaper, I don't know how this would have looked.

( 2 ) Once I was happy with the appearance, I took a towel and cleaned the entire wall sections.  Then I went ahead and sprayed a primer spray on it from Krylon. 

( 3 ) After it dried, I cleaned it with a towel again, and glued on little greeblies (like the commtech chips).

( 4 ) Then, I added just a touch of another coat of primer, and cleaned off again after it dried.

( 5 ) At this point, I got a regular can of Krylon spray paint (not the cheap $1 cans, I used the $4 stuff and painted it - two coats.

( 6 ) Then I sprinkled on just a bit of black spray paint here and there.

( 7 ) Next step was to clean it off with a towel again, and then start dry brushing some details here and there (like the gray strokes all over the edges), add a few orange strokes, black strokes, etc.

( 8 ) Finally, I gave it a good paint wash with black in some areas and let it run down the walls, and a couple areas with a gray wash to let it soak up a bit of different color. 

( 9 ) For the smelting pit area, I did several washes - black, orange, gray, and black again. 

( 10 ) Once it was dry, I did a light spray of matte acrylic finish over the whole thing.

That's the process in a nutshell.  Fun project to work on, I can't wait to get it back after the project for a photonovel.   8)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 02:41 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 23, 2007, 12:52 PM »
Glassman - GREAT building!!  I'm very excited by how this project is coming together!  I never really thought about adding all the geometric shapes to the building before spraying it.  Great idea - it really works.  I love your Market Stall - I think this little market area is going to be sweet.

Chewie -  I responded over at Yak earlier - but I just want to echo - this is AWESOME.  I know it wasn't the intention, but at this point, I think the Junk Yard is the highlight of the whole diorama (pending the Statue :) ).  Great job!

Smarty - Ryan was talking about making some smaller trees.  I don't know if that is still in the cards or not though.

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #490 on: April 23, 2007, 02:21 PM »
GEEZ Chewie.... I'm at a loss for words. Your  droid junk yard is incredible!!!
I cant get over how well done this is. And you buy playsets from Owen?  Dude make your own. Not taking away from the masterfull work of owen, but this is equally impressive.
The details are phenomenal. 

BrentS, thanks buddy.

Fammine. Deal!! Your custom can be the merchant. That gives me more time to get the holos and benches done and hopefully another building.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 02:22 PM by Glassman6 »

Offline NiubNiub

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 23, 2007, 02:48 PM »
GREAT WORK GUYS !!!!
i cant imagine how cool it will look all put together

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #492 on: April 24, 2007, 01:06 AM »
I wanted to say that I too think a lot of great things are coming together by seeing your work on the project posted...  The buildings look outstanding, and if I may say so, I think the stone-flecked paint is amazing looking and gives the buildings all that perfect "Star Warsy" feel. 

The Emperor statue is probably one of my favorite pices I've seen so far.  That's such a great idea...  The shops and stalls are all looking great too, as are the figures I think.  Short of denizen filler needing to be a bit more substantial I think everything is going great for you guys it seems.  The streets should be pretty busy I think...  Given what we saw on Tatooine, a small outpost, you guys hsould have some busy streets I think is all...

Things are looking great though.  Looks like you guys managed to stay on the same page in terms of looks/feel too, very important I think.  Kudos to you all.

BTW Brent's trees...  Friggin' marvelous looking. :)  A+ work there man.  Too bad you guys couldn't do a whole forest of them, haha.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 24, 2007, 09:33 AM »
I wanted to say that I too think a lot of great things are coming together by seeing your work on the project posted...  The buildings look outstanding, and if I may say so, I think the stone-flecked paint is amazing looking and gives the buildings all that perfect "Star Warsy" feel. 

The Emperor statue is probably one of my favorite pices I've seen so far.  That's such a great idea...  The shops and stalls are all looking great too, as are the figures I think.  Short of denizen filler needing to be a bit more substantial I think everything is going great for you guys it seems.  The streets should be pretty busy I think...  Given what we saw on Tatooine, a small outpost, you guys hsould have some busy streets I think is all...

Things are looking great though.  Looks like you guys managed to stay on the same page in terms of looks/feel too, very important I think.  Kudos to you all.

BTW Brent's trees...  Friggin' marvelous looking. :)  A+ work there man.  Too bad you guys couldn't do a whole forest of them, haha.

Jesse,  I really want to say thanks for all your encouragement.  It means a lot!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 24, 2007, 09:33 AM »
I've got to say that I'm totally blown away by all the fantastic pictures I've been seeing over that past few months! My biggest worry is how these pieces will all fit together. It should be alot of fun setting this up. So far, most everything has survived shipping. There are some little problems but nothing right now I can't put back together.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours