Author Topic: New Indy Toys - Rumors and Speculation!  (Read 85977 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
New Indy Toys - Rumors and Speculation!
« on: December 14, 2005, 07:24 PM »
Not sure if this was mentioned before. With Indy 4 coming out in a few years, what do you think the chances of the toyline doing something similar to what the Star Wars line did.  Meaning, having figs made from all 4 movies under one line or making a couple lines.  Indy 4 and Classic Indy.  Unlike the SW line, Indy would have a pretty limited amount of figs and could be wrapped up with a couple dozen figs within a year or two.  I cant remember how the originals sold, but seeing how few characters were made makes it look like it failed.  In all honesty none of the characters are really exciting except to fans and collectors.  Who is under contract for the line or is it up for bid once more info on the movie is leaked?  I know we all bitch sometimes at the crap Hasbro makes, but I for one would hate to see this line go to another manufacturer even though a ton of other companies could do a better job. 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 02:46 PM by Jeff »

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Indy 4 Toy Question
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 07:51 PM »
Well if they ever make the movie I could see them mainly just focusing on Indy figures primarily.  I wish they would make other characters but nowadays I could just see Indy and maybe a main villian or two in limited quanities. 

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 09:05 PM »
I doubt the movie will ever happen, unfortunately. Even if it doesn't, I predict SideShow will eventually step in and do some 12" collectables/figures/dolls of the classic characters from the trilogy, MasterReplicas will put together some nice artifact reproductions, and there will be no 3 3/4th scale to speak of.

:-\

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 04:29 AM »
Indy toys have always been high on my list.  3.75" figures though only.  I can't really justify other scales at this point whereas 3.75" toys (of some quality) I can always collect based on customizing potentials (crossover fodder and such).

I'd dig a revamped 3.75" Indy line though...  Lots of characters to pick from, and it could be a profitable and fun toy line...  I think it'll have a shorter life than Star Wars and it has a LOT less character selection, but I think it is as varied as LOTR was and could last a little while.  Long enough to get some quality stuff out.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 10:05 AM »
I would also love to see a new line of Indiana Jones figures.  It's a shame his toys and comics didn't catch on like Star Wars did.

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 10:46 AM »
I doubt the movie will ever happen, unfortunately. Even if it doesn't, I predict SideShow will eventually step in and do some 12" collectables/figures/dolls of the classic characters from the trilogy, MasterReplicas will put together some nice artifact reproductions, and there will be no 3 3/4th scale to speak of.

:-\

Agreed.
WTB Autographs and loose vintage, PM me!
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 10:53 AM »
I'd really like to see a new Indy line as well.  I've been tempted to try and pick up the Disney (or vintage) versions of Dr. Jones, but just haven't ever gotten around to it.  It would be nice to see a 3 3/4" line happen, if/when the movie ever happens.  It could be a short-lived line, even if it was only 3-4 waves and lasted a year or so.  If we got a VOTC Han Solo type of Indiana Jones figure, I'd be a happy camper.  Then cover all the movies to get some villains, Short Round, etc.  It could really be a fun line.  For now, I'll just have to be satisfied with Indiana Kermit :P.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 03:41 PM »
If we got a VOTC Han Solo type of Indiana Jones figure, I'd be a happy camper.

Ah, you know better than that, though...

If there is going to be an Indy toy line, especially from Hasbro, we'll probably have to suffer through two or three waves of shoddy POTF2 quality and action feature ridden figures. The sales won't look good, so Hasbro won't put in the effort to make a high quality follow-up wave (ala POTJ, SAGA, VOTC).

One neat thing about a 3 3/4th Indy wave is that the Indy figures should blend really nicely with the 21st Century figures... If you don't have enough villians, just pick up some Germans from 21stC.

:)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 10:51 PM »
I just wish we could get a line that includes all of the movies. I had a list of figures I wanted, if i can find it i will post it.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2005, 02:00 AM »
I'd buy a 3.75" line of Indy figures but I'd prefer if there were some figs thrown in from the first three films and it not just be an Indy 4 line.

I would also love to see a 12" version of Indy done by SideShow but I don't need a whole line.  The 12" Japan fig that came out a few years ago (was that Toys McCoy?) was insane...and expensive.  But'd I'd shell out $50 on a SS version.  There are just so many cool items that could be packed in, or customized, in 1:6 that you just couldn't do well in 1:18th.

But, as AE said, if Hasbro did it we'd probably get a bunch of action features and goofy things that wouldn't sell well. 

A while back I was researching some info on Hasbro and in one of their annual reports I think I recall Indy being mentioned in Lucasfilm properties that they'd have access to.  Nothing specific was mentioned, just the licensing.  Since LFL and Hasbro have such a close relationship over SW it's almost a given that Hasbro would have first shot at any new Indy product.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 09:11 AM »
Just thought I'd dust off this old thread, as according to this article/press release, it sounds as if Hasbro will be releasing a "broad line of action figures, vehicles and role play items" for the upcoming Indy film.  There's also mention from LEGO and others.  I'm really happy to hear this news, and hopefully we will get Indy and co. in a 3 3/4" "vintage" style.  I can see the forums lighting up already if they are revealed to be 5" scale or something.  Good news though, I hope we can get a great SA Indy out of it if nothing else.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 09:58 AM »
Star Wars scale is the way to go, any other size and i probably wont buy them.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 04:01 PM »
Hasbro, Lego, Hallmark, Random House, Scholastic, DK Publishing...all the usual suspects that we see with the Star Wars license.

Like I said in my earlier post, Hasbro kind of had dibs on this line per their contracts with Lucasfilm.  They'd have been stupid to turn it down.  Glad to see the other companies on board as well even though I don't see myself buying any of the Lego sets.  I'd have killed for them when I was a kid, though.

If nothing else, I want one 1:6 classic Indy figure using Hasbro's SA GI Joe body.  He doesn't even have to come with a lot of extras, just a basic $20 figure with outfit and some goofy accessories thrown in.  I have all the parts already to make a cool Indiana custom except a jacket and hat (2 most important pieces) so if they give me those I'll be really psyched.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: Indy 4 Toys!
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 10:28 PM »
WOW, i just posted a wish list for the old movies and we get an announcement that figures will be made. Very awesome! I hope they are 3 3/4 scale.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Indy 4 Toys!
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 09:28 AM »
It'll be cool to see how these are handled. Great list evenflow, btw.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."