Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 558125 times)

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #2415 on: March 20, 2019, 11:51 AM »
I still don't fully agree but fair enough
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #2416 on: March 20, 2019, 01:13 PM »
And lastly to Dave again, man you and I are on such different pages on this. I think the show would be really boring without other people surviving. And if the only groups that can survive are supposed to fit into some wilderness savy, survival savy, adults, etc etc etc whatever, then that sounds boring too.

I totally agree that for the show to be interesting they need to have external conflict - zombies, wildlife, nature, new groups, etc.  Internal conflict is kind of boring - e.g. Maggie arguing with Michonne.

The part that bothers me is that we've seen some highly organized and heavily armed groups (The Saviors, Terminus, The Governor's group, etc.) get destroyed through conflict.  And any groups that wandered in to their sphere were quickly wiped out/assimilated. 

My ask is that any outside group that has managed to survive for five+ years needs to really have their act together.  Especially if its a large group - e.g. The Whisperers, Highwaymen, etc.

Ultimately I'd like to see some more creativity around the threats.  And it still bugs me that you can walk for a few hours and find a whole new group that is threatening yours that you never new existed, even though you've been there for 10 years.

Have the been there all along, or did they wander in?

My take on Jocilyn's group of wayward murderers were nomadic and they have been on the move for most of the apocalypse.  they just recently wandered into the Alexandria/Hilltop/Kingdom sphere of influence.  It's a similar situation with the Whisperers....they move with the herd and set up camps along the way.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: March 20, 2019, 04:22 PM »
I just wish zombies were a real problem again...

Although ten years in, the number of people who can be turned into zombies is always getting less and the number of zombies that survivors have killed is always going up.  You'd think at some point the zombie part of the apocalypse would end.  And yeah I know that even when you die no matter how you zombi-fy and can start another outbreak... but I'd like to see a world where the mechanics of how all this happened in the first place were explored and discovered...

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: March 20, 2019, 05:29 PM »
It's a similar situation with the Whisperers....they move with the herd and set up camps along the way.

I agree in principle, but the writer's execution doesn't make much sense.  Just sloppy writing.

If The Whisperers are moving with a herd for protection, then why mark their territory (and bother to carry spray paint with them) and why initiate dangerous contact with other living people?  Why bother to chase down Eugene and Rosita?

I think the writers could have made it a lot simpler (and logical) by having The Whisperers move through, have there be a random encounter that leads to Lydia being caught and semi-absorbed in to The Hilltop/Kingdom/Alexandria crew, and let the Lydia/Henry love story get messy like it is?  If they want to make it personal and an all out war from there, then great.

I know its a zombie apocalypse show, but ideally the story lines make more sense, and ideally there is a larger story line - e.g. build communities, find a cure, etc.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: March 20, 2019, 05:54 PM »
If The Whisperers are moving with a herd for protection, then why mark their territory (and bother to carry spray paint with them) and why initiate dangerous contact with other living people?  Why bother to chase down Eugene and Rosita?

It was the Highwaymen that were marking the signs....I missed that too at first.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: March 21, 2019, 08:32 AM »
I'll be interested to see if The Highwaymen are anything more than canon fodder for the coming conflict with The Whisperers.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: March 21, 2019, 10:37 AM »
Possibly, they've kind of taken up the role of the Saviors since Carol wiped them out.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: March 24, 2019, 11:52 PM »
Wow. Not having read the comic past the fall of the prison...was not expecting that.  Episode began brutal and ended brutal.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 12:00 AM by Scockery »

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: March 25, 2019, 12:24 AM »
I'm still taking it all in.

On a personal note that was the last comic I have read (not all the same deaths of course). I'm kinda excited to be more in the dark.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: March 25, 2019, 12:44 AM »
Check your DVRs....if it only recorded for 1 hour and 2 minutes, you didn’t get the whole episode!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: March 25, 2019, 12:50 AM »
Yeah my cable guide said it was one hour. But I noticed the replays we're almost an hour and a half so saved myself a headache there.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: March 25, 2019, 10:52 AM »
I stayed up to watch the second airing (can't watch the first airing because it comes on at 7pm Mountain time and don't want my kids watching it) and even though I knew what was coming (not the who) it was crazy to watch.  The best part is that my wife had no clue what was coming, so it was like my own little GoT Red Wedding moment.

Don't read below if you haven't seen the show, I also am going to compare with the moment in the comics.

I fully expected Enid's head to be on that pike....I also thought Luke would've been on there, or at least someone from that group (possibly Connie or Kelly after their interaction at the fair), but that didn't happen.  The real shocking one for me was Henry, I thought they were going to go the comic route and have it be Ezekiel.  I also was a bit surprised that Rosita survived (she didn't in the comic).

Also, the whole scenario went down quite differently in the comic than in the show....not necessarily a bad thing.  Watching how it went down in the show, with how Siddiq described everything, we have to assume more whisperers were at the fair and abducting people.  In the comic, it was Alpha walking around and talking with people (no one had seen her face in the comics at this point), and although not shown in the comic, it was easy to assume she personally killed each person and then took their heads.  There's no way that she could just take each person from the fair to another location tie them up and kill them en masse.  Not a major sticking point to me, but other than those other two we saw at the end of last week's episode, there's no evidence of any other whisperers at the fair.  That makes me curious to see what scenes were cut from the episode.

The last two weeks have been some of the best episodes of the show IMHO.  I'm glad that the show can still surprise me, that should happen more often because we are nearing the point where I stopped reading the comics.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 12:57 PM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: March 25, 2019, 12:44 PM »
Yea, I haven't read the comics since the end of the Governor's days... so I'm way behind and I've enjoyed being in the dark.   I didn't see that ending coming and it was really well done.  This has been an interesting season and I feel like the show is less predictable now.  I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next week.

On a side note... I'm a little annoyed with the broadcast the last two weeks.  Last week, there were issues with commercials randomly showing up and truncating some of episode.  This one was only an hour in the DVR.  I'm glad I was watchin live so that I didn't actually miss anything.  I haven't watched a live episode in months (maybe this whole season!).  So I'm glad I didn't miss the end.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: March 25, 2019, 09:26 PM »
I was wondering if Siddiq didn't make up that story to give their deaths more dignity and to inspire people, but the show people say he was telling the truth.

Henry was the season's fake out new cast member, more so than Everybody Hate Chris (forget his name) from season 5.

Carol and her kid curse...ouch.

Hilltop leadership curse, too.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: March 26, 2019, 09:41 AM »
I generally liked the episode and the conflict that now exists, although I guess I'm still not entirely sold on how a transient group thinks fighting for territory is a good idea, especially when their camp is just a spot in the woods.  That's gotta suck with the snow starting to fall.

I'm just hoping Carol rekindles her bad ass side and takes The Whisperers apart.