Author Topic: Lando Calrissian (Skiff Guard Disguise)  (Read 23210 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Lando Calrissian (Skiff Guard Disguise)
« on: March 22, 2011, 09:06 PM »
Source Images:

Data

Vintage

Modern

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Lando Calrissian (Skiff Guard Disguise)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 11:02 PM »
Loved Skiff Lando as a kid...  It was one of my favorite figures because of the helmet comign off, the whole "disguise" thing...  I always dug that stuff.  I know that helmet wound up on some Joes who were infiltrating Cobra, which is really dumb now that I reflect on it. :)

I thought the sculpt at the time was really ahead of its time too...  I mean, you look at the old helmet, and it really just needs paint aps to make it much more modern looking.

That said, the Saga Lando is really neat to...  He was a great figure when he came out.  He sported all the following greatness...

-Nice Neutral Sculpting...  This guy had what we wanted in this regard, and what most Saga figures had absolutely nothing close to.  He was neutral, just standing around, and it was a great thing at that time.

-Removable helmet...  Obviously something most every figure with headgear should have I think, and on Lando it was a key to the whole costume/character.  Plus Hasbro sculpted the helmet in such a flexible plastic that it could be pulled down at the mask bit for the "unnecessary reveal".  Intentional?  That's debatable, but it's cool regardless.

-Great Deco...  At the time, this was really ground breaking paint aps in some ways...  The helmet alone had a lot of detail, and the costume got a good application and array of color as well.  The helmet was really the highlight of deco though.

-The staff & pistol...  The staff was cool, accurate, and wasn't horribly flimsy.  The last part alone was a shock.  The pistol had some deco IIRC, and both were cast in cool gunmetal color as well.  Great accessories, nice sculpts.  Cool updates unto themselves.

-Working Holster...  A feature every figure with a holster should have.  Nuff said.

-Good Arm Articulation...  Poseable arms...  Oh man.  What a bitchin' idea that is!  These were the arms that I felt every figure should have, minimum, as far as articulation goes.  They allowed holding weapons 2-handed, but also allowed neutral poses, "struggling" or fighting poses...  If his legs were good, he'd be great.

-Likeness...  It's outstanding to me.  It's my favorite Lando in my collection as far as Billy Dee's likeness, and while I love the new Lando Pilot, I wish this head were re-used there in some capacity.

All that said...

I'd gladly rebuy this figure, however this is one I'd happily rebuy if they just added better leg articulation I think, and he was somehow snuck into a battlepack or multi-pack instead.  The arms could use an update, and you could go super fancy with maybe a removable armor piece, and all this and that...   Sure.  But honestly the slight retooling to the legs, and slipping him into a multi-pack of some sort for less money, would probably make me equally  happy.

Or...  Retool the arms to only have elbow ball-joints instead of elbow and shoulder.  It's still a good figure though, just needs that extra umph to put him over the top in my book, and "up to date" with the rest of the line I guess.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 11:37 PM »
I always liked this Lando as a kid.  Of course he would double as a bad guy as well.

I never got the Saga version (I'm still displaying the POTF2 version).  I would not mind an updated one.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 11:48 PM »
I too loved the Vintage Lando - every time I see him I think of the that old Kenner commercial "Surprise, surprise, it's Lando in disguise!". Classic.

As for the SAGA one, even by today's standards, it's a phenomenal figure. The sculpt is damn near perfect and a faithful modern interpretation of the Kenner version - limited articulation and all.

If Hasbro does revisit this one some day, I hope they use the SAGA one as a base or at least as a guide.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 11:50 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 12:48 AM »
Liked the original and love the update.
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 08:46 AM »
The vintage had a better helmet, or better fitting one, than the POTF2 one.

Never got the Saga version.

Lando's role in Han's rescue was a let down. Struggles with one guard and nearly falls in the sarlacc, to be saved by blind Han Solo. Redemption reasons aside, Lando almost might as well have not been there at all.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 10:06 AM »
Same as others have already posted, but this was one of my favorite figures as a kid as well.  Although I did have the ESB "smilin" Lando version as well, this one seemed to be my go to Lando more often than not.  Like Jesse mentioned, I just thought the removable helmet was so cool back then, and the figure itself was pretty well done.  Definitely one of my vinty favorites.

As for the modern one, it really is a nice figure and still holds up reasonably well today.  I wouldn't mind seeing an upgrade, just with the improvements in articulation we've seen lately, but honestly the sculpt and everything holds up pretty well otherwise.  I do hope we see a new version at some point though, because it seems like the type of figure Hasbro could really "ultimate" up on.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 12:03 AM »
Lando's role in Han's rescue was a let down. Struggles with one guard and nearly falls in the sarlacc, to be saved by blind Han Solo. Redemption reasons aside, Lando almost might as well have not been there at all.

I always thought Lando went in first to do recon.  He was also trying to get Leia out before Jabba got all hot n bothered.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 11:53 PM »
vinty Skiff Lando has a very nice silver paintjob for shoulder plates, in saga version these parts seem to fade out.
But I recognize the improvement in helmet design, more coloured.

Potf2 was more muscular than saga version, but depicted a better paintjob on armor and belts.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 09:29 PM »

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 07:55 AM »
I wished we would have gotten the vintage card instead of the drawn Sandstorm one... yeah, I know, they're selling the deleted scenes one.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 08:16 PM »
The sandstorm really is a great update to Lando. It'd be nice to have an alternately packaged version to match the Vintage card, but I think Hasbro is already over their Lando quota for the next few years.
"This is the way."

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 04:20 PM »
Skiff Lando was actually one of my first two figures (the other one being blonde Bespin Luke). My mom said I could collect action figures, as long as they didn't have any guns or such. So, I explained to her, that Skiff Lando was actually some sort of janitor in a palace  ;D

I recently recieved TVC Lando and while it is a great figure and comes with a Sithload of accessories, the big letdown is the size. I know of the fact that Hasbro keeps downsizing their figures, but not until I place TVC Lando next to Saga and Kenner Lando, did I actually really notice that. It really is a shame, and frankly I prefer Saga Lando as modern counterpart. TVC Lando's vibro blade is 100x better than that god awful thing Saga Lando carries, though.