Collectibles > The Black Series 3.75"

The Hasbro/Retail/Case Pack Situation

(1/10) > >>

Jesse James:
Wave 3 at my K-mart now...

K-Mart got TONS of Wave 1 in, but over time (not all at once)...  Almost all have sold through, at all the stores I hit.

K-Mart by me got at least 2 cases of Wave 2...  Again, almost all gone.

K-Mart got Wave 3 in today.  I expect the same thing.

My point is, people need to start faulting retail a ****load more for their over-ordering (or not changing DPCI's, or not supporting the line at all), rather than faulting Hasbro for stuff...  I know that's the "in thing" to do, but seriously...  Case assortments weren't GREAT, but at the same time, perhaps in a non-movie year, retail should be held somewhat accountable...  If K-Mart can do it, why can't Wal-Mart?  Or Target?  They can too.  TRU would be in bigger trouble if not for sales...  which again, where are WM and Target on that front? 

Greg:

--- Quote from: Jesse James on March 12, 2014, 07:48 PM ---My point is, people need to start faulting retail a ****load more for their over-ordering (or not changing DPCI's, or not supporting the line at all), rather than faulting Hasbro for stuff...  I know that's the "in thing" to do, but seriously...  Case assortments weren't GREAT, but at the same time, perhaps in a non-movie year, retail should be held somewhat accountable...  If K-Mart can do it, why can't Wal-Mart?  Or Target?  They can too.  TRU would be in bigger trouble if not for sales...  which again, where are WM and Target on that front?

--- End quote ---

Very well said Jesse. Granted the case assortments could be better, but Target and Wal-Mart allotting just 1 or 2 pegs (if not zero) to any given assortment has to be a big part of the problem. I recall hearing that Target's automatic re-order triggers only when the product quantity hits 1 less than the number of spaces/pegs, which would mean my local store (with one peg for TBS) only restocks when there are no figures left.

Jesse James:
Think about the line since it began, since most of us here have been around that long or longer...  Have case assortments ever NOT been flawed to some degree?  It's my opinion you'll never have them perfect... 

Short a Leia figure, it becomes hard to find, people bitch.

Short an OWK?  Hard to find, people bitch.

Short a Troop Builder?  Prepare for the dip**** apocalypse.

Double up on a figure?  Eventually it becomes too abundant, people bitch.

Anyone remember Maul in 1999?  Full cases...  That worked GREAT huh?

This is the leanest time, ever I think, that the modern line has existed and still soldiered on in some capacity.  You can't expect movie-year tactics (which didn't work in a movie year, mind you) to work now...  Likewise you can't expect Hasbro to cater to collectors, especially at times like this.

It boils down that EVERY wave, right now, will sit...  You could make something totally awesome fill all 12 slots, and it is such a stale market for Star Wars right now that if a store orders just one-case-too-many, and you're now looking at a logjam.  In years when the line has support, toys move at a steady flow, but those times aren't right now.

Hit up sponsors on our front page because that's the best way to collect right now...  Hands down.

2007 I saw EVERY wave at least once, most two or three times, some more than that.  Good figures.  Good prices.  Collector dream come true year...  Between all 4 major retailers (KM, WM, Target, TRU), I saw everything, and it was glorious...  Those days, are not today.  It's not the same market, same prices, same retail landscape.  It's easy to point the finger at the source nearest to us, and the one that reacts to us...  The one that has some kind of contact with the collector world.  If Target or Wal-Mart did, and were giving out answers to tough questions that people didn't want to hear, I bet you'd see a lot more finger pointing going in the direction I think it's deserved at this point.

Diddly:
I can agree with that. Most of my Wal-Marts have either not ordered any new Star Wars since the TPM Vintage wave two years ago or have eliminated SW space altogether. Target has bare shelves/pegs for pretty much everything outside of LEGO, and it has looked like that for months. TRU has... stuff. Overpriced stuff, but never anything interesting or new enough to buy.

I'm going to spend a bit of my tax return on a case of Wave 3 figures, because like Jesse said, it's the easiest way. I don't WANT a lot of the figures I'm going to get (Clones, etc.) but I'd rather be done with it in one swoop than spend gas driving all over town looking for something that's not even going to be there in the first place.

CHEWIE:
I don't think Hasbro has helped their own cause much, but I do agree with nearly everything you said, Jesse.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version