Author Topic: Star Wars Rebels - Season One (Spoilers)  (Read 35538 times)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: Star Wars Rebels - Season One (Spoilers)
« Reply #90 on: March 5, 2015, 11:53 AM »
I've been thinking a bit on Vader's role in the Empire lately with Rebels. I haven't read the Tarkin book, but it always seemed to me he could know. I doubt anyone else does. How could they? Anakin is most likely thought to have died with the rest of the Jedi. You suddenly have this Vader person show up and what is he there for? What is the Inquisitor there for? To hunt Jedi. He's a Force user that the Imperials seem to accept and tolerate despite their institutional mandate to eliminate force users. Vader has to be seen within the Imperial ranks as some sort of (or actual) Inquisitor. Doesn't help the Inquisitor isn't explained well at all in Rebels, and now he's dead. Clearly Vader has cache with the Emperor, but yet Tarkin outranks him. As a Moff, he's only outranked politically by Palpatine (unless I'm missing something). I never got too much into the detail of the EU, but I remember as a kid things like Vader was 'given' command of his Star Destroyer; Vader was 'sent' to oversee the completion of the DS II. Vader absolutely projects fear throughout the ranks but the evidence seems to suggest he has little actual command over them.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 6, 2015, 07:49 AM »
I think that within the Empire Darth Vader is regarded as the Emporer's enforcer.  He is to be respected and feared.  As for who may know that Darth Vader was Anakin Skywalker?  I suspect that list of people is REALLY short.  As for who that includes following the events of Episode III?
-Yoda
-Obi-Wan Kenobi
-Bail Organa
-Palpatine
-R2-D2

People who may or may not know?  I suspect that Tarkin's previous familiarity with Anakin during the Clone Wars and subsequent relationship with him as Vader has keyed him in on that secret in the time between ROTS and ANH.  And Tarkin's dialogue with Vader during ANH makes it clear that he knows of Vader's past.  As for Uncle Owen?  Clearly he knows Anakin and that he was a Jedi from their time on the homestead in AOTC.  But I suspect that for the safety of Luke it's very likely that Obi-Wan did not share the whole truth about Padme and Anakin's fates in an effort to protect Owen, Beru and Luke.  Owen knew that Anakin was a Jedi.  But based on the what Obi-Wan initially told Luke about how Vader betrayed and murdered his father, I suspect that he told something similar to Owen as well.

So, will Ahsoka come to know this too if her character gets a more substantial role in the show?  Based on her contact with Bail Organa that's entirely possible.  But would Bail risk telling Anakin's former padawan?  He never told his own adopted daughter about her true parentage.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2015, 01:24 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 6, 2015, 10:01 AM »
Why do we think anyone knows?  Obi-Wan can probably sense it and maybe Yoda, but they're supposedly living out a very exiled existence out of contact from anyone else.  The Emperor used droids to build the Vader armor, so how would anyone make the link back to Anakin? 

Tarkin - maybe since they work so closely at times and he's close to the Emperor.  But I'd also bet he's not smart enough to ask or reveal it to anyone else.

Ahsoka - maybe if she comes in contact with Vader, but it's not like the Jedi can just mind read everyone in the galaxy.  Vader can't really get a feel for Luke in the movies unless he's close by.

R2-D2 & C3PO - no evidence that either has a clue who Vader is. They're clearly afraid of Vader, but I don't see any reason why they would know he was Anakin at this point. 

Bail Organa - he knows about Leia and the Jedi of old, so he's got an inside track.  But what link does he have to knowing Vader is Anakin?  Unless Obi/Yoda have shared with him, but when they split with the twins, I'm not sure even they know Vader is alive.  I took that Obi left him for dead in ROTS.

Owen & Beru - I'd be shocked if they knew.  They clearly knew Anakin had a dark side and very likely knew about the Tusken camp slaughter.  I think that's why Owen doesn't want Luke to become like his father - not because he knows the Vader connection.

I'm more shocked that people didn't recognize Luke from his last name.  Anakin Skywalker was probably all over the holo news during the clone wars.  With only a generation going by, you'd think Luke Skywalker's name would have gotten around as having some potential connection.  Maybe he was too isolated and young to register, but you'd think Imperial intelligence would be on the lookout for anyone potentially related to Jedi heritage (Kenobis, Windus, etc.). 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 6, 2015, 11:01 AM »
Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda both saw the security recordings of Anakin taking part in the massacre at the Jedi Temple on Coruscant. 

ANAKIN: The traitors have been taken care of, Lord Sidious.

DARTH SlDIOUS: Good . . . good . . . You have done well, my new apprentice. Do you feel your power growing?

ANAKIN: Yes, My Master.

DARTH SlDIOUS: Now, Lord Vader, now go and bring peace to the Empire.

OBI-WAN watches in horror. Tears well up in his eyes.

OBI-WAN: I can't watch any more.

OBI-WAN switches off the hologram. The TWO JEDI stand in silence for a few moments.

YODA: Destroy the Sith, we must.

OBI-WAN: Send me to kill the Emperor. I will not kill Anakin.

YODA: To fight this Lord Sidious, strong enough, you are not.

OBI-WAN: He is like my brother ... I cannot do it.

YODA: Twisted by the dark side, young Skywalker has become. The boy you trained, gone he is . . . Consumed by Darth Vader.

OBI-WAN: How could it have come to this?

YODA: To question, no time there is.

OBI-WAN: I do not know where the Emperor has sent him. I don't know where to look.

YODA: Use your feelings, Obi-Wan, and find him, you will. Visit the new Emperor, my task is. May the Force be with you.

OBI-WAN: May the Force be with you, Master Yoda.

That's from the script, and not necessarily the dialogue from the theatrical release.  But in ROTS Yoda does call Anakin 'Darth Vader'.  After the duel on Mustafar I think that Obi-Wan truly thought Anakin was dead.  But he and Yoda also knew that he had taken on this mantle of Darth Vader.  It stands to reason that following his exile Obi-Wan likely came across some sort of information about the Emporer's apprentice, Darth Vader.  Especially since he was hunting down Jedi.  Obi-Wan alluded to that much during the conversation in his hut with Luke in ANH.  Still, I think there was a sense of shock on Obi-Wan's face when he finally saw Vader on the Death Star in ANH.  More because of Vader's menacing appearance than by the revelation of his survival.

« Last Edit: March 6, 2015, 11:09 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 6, 2015, 03:03 PM »
I kind of agree.  I think that at the end of RotS, Obi-Wan and Yoda know that Anakin turned and became Darth Vader.  I also think they believe that Darth Vader died on Mustafar, only to learn later that he survived and is hunting Jedi.

I could see them sharing this info with Organa, but it could also be argued that the less Organa knows being near Palpatine the better.  I definitely don't think that Owen and Beru knew.  They knew that they didn't want (or Obi-Wan didn't want) Luke going off-world.  They knew Anakin and probably what Anakin did to the Sandpeople.

For the sake of a cool reveal, I don't think that Ashoka knows, and it should be a cool moment (S2 finale?) when it is revealed.  I also hope that Vader ends up destroying Ashoka, maybe even in a raid for some information (Death Star Plans anyone?).  It would be a cool arc for the character that is ultimately tragic

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 6, 2015, 04:37 PM »
...Or, as has been suggested, Ahsoka is presumed dead, then shows up much older in Episode 7. 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 8, 2015, 09:47 AM »
One funny thing about the Inquisitors death in the Season 1 finale.  I got a sneaking feeling that the Inquisitor might die about a week before the episode aired.  And you know what clued me in on that?  Toys R Us put those 31" Jakks Pacific Inquisitor figures on clearance!

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 8, 2015, 01:02 PM »
Why do we think anyone knows?  Obi-Wan can probably sense it and maybe Yoda, but they're supposedly living out a very exiled existence out of contact from anyone else.  The Emperor used droids to build the Vader armor, so how would anyone make the link back to Anakin? 

I agree.  Outside of Obi-Wan and Yoda, I don't think anyone necessarily knows who Darth Vader is.  And unless they told Bail and the droids (why would they?), then I don't think anyone else knows.

Granted, I haven't read many of the EU books, so there might be something else I'm missing.

Ultimately I don't think it matters to 99.99% of the characters as all they need to know is that The Emperor has a new bad-ass enforcer.  Nobody really needs to know where he came from and what his pod-race records are.

I think Ashoka is about the only main character that has any real ties to Anakin.  So if there is a reveal of Vader's origins, I don't think it would really matter to anyone but her.
« Last Edit: March 9, 2015, 12:57 PM by Dave »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 9, 2015, 11:51 AM »
Nobody really needs to know where he came from and what his pod-race records are.

Haha!  Thanks for the Monday morning chuckle.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2015, 05:23 PM »
Anybody know what the story line is with the Wookiee Gunship (as produced by Lego) for Rebels?   Was this a story line that was cut from Season 1, or will be shown for Season 2?

My kids really like the ship, but keep asking me what the story is with this ship.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2015, 08:27 PM »
Anybody know what the story line is with the Wookiee Gunship (as produced by Lego) for Rebels?   Was this a story line that was cut from Season 1, or will be shown for Season 2?

My kids really like the ship, but keep asking me what the story is with this ship.

IIRC, the Wookiee Gunship was at the end of Spark of Rebellion. After the Wookiees were rescued, the gunship was docked with The Ghost and as they said their goodbyes.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2015, 09:14 PM »
Yes, it was in the show, but insanely briefly.  Kinda funny it got a toy.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2015, 03:28 PM »
I think the toy companies must get schematics in advance of the final shows to produce them in time.  They probably either just plucked one that they liked or maybe the original storyline had more of Gunship planned for that episode.  There aren't a lot of other Rebels ships that Lego could make at that price point.