Author Topic: Star Wars Rebels - Class II Vehicles  (Read 26239 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Star Wars: Rebels - Class II Vehicles
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2014, 01:11 AM »
I tried a TIE Pilot in the TIE, and he flops about comically because it's ultimately designed for the limited figures to work in it I guess.  I wish the seat were a little more snug (control consoles on the sides, little less wide).

The DP I have, I think it's fine functionally speaking, but when you move the legs the pins to hold them in simply loosen up.  I don't see any production issues on them (bad mold pulls or whatnot).  It just seems ill-conceived to me.   :-\  I'm probably going to get another for customizing purposes so I'll check then.

From what I can see, when you move the legs, the pins simply shift out a bit... They don't pop off, but the walker becomes looser at the hip joints (the only joints, for that matter).

I'm ok with the articulation mind you...  It never bothered me that it wasn't hyper jointed like the AT-ST that requires "fixing".  I'm more miffed the main drive body and the cockpit aren't as big as they really should be.  That's my only real gripe.  They could be just a tad bigger and it'd be significantly better.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2014, 10:06 AM »
Thanks Jesse for saving me $75. 

I was on the fence about buying these, but now I think I'll pass on all three and wait to see the reviews on the Imp Troop Transport before I decide on that one.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2014, 02:34 PM »
I tried a TIE Pilot in the TIE, and he flops about comically because it's ultimately designed for the limited figures to work in it I guess.  I wish the seat were a little more snug (control consoles on the sides, little less wide).

It's extra wide so you fit Zeb in there. Otherwise someone at another site would have had a stroke.  ;)
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2014, 08:58 PM »
Hah, well my stroke is mild. :P  I'm more just miffed that these are lower in quality than the Class I with figures we got not long ago.  Seriously I think those are just superior quality overall. 

And glad I saved you some $ Jeff...  They're iffy at this price IMO.  On sale, they're fine maybe.

I'm going to get the Stormie transport and custom it (it's WWWAAAAAYYYY underscaled) into something of a support vehicle for the actual transports.  The transport would be an ideal project for someone to try.  All angular, very little to it at all that's rounded.  It's very doable with simple cuts or in a *cough*3Dprogram*cough* if someone were so inclined.  It's simplistic, to say the least.  Something I'd like to tackle in the future as it's a very logical design too.

In X-Wing, TIE Fighter, etc., the Stormtroopers have a space transport used to board vessels...  It's very similar, only built to fly out of an atmosphere obviously.  It's another thing that's been on my to-do list.  I'd like to try both now.

It's funny that the new transport will be significantly smaller than the original vintage transport.  :-X  That one is far closer to the proper size.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2014, 10:39 AM »
I opened all of the vehicles last night with the kids.  My quick thoughts (caveat that I haven't opened that many toys so my frame of reference might be off).

Phantom - The kids and I really like this.  I think this is the best of the bunch.  Flexible play options and it seems well built.  It looks like it has been designed to attach to a future Ghost ship.

TIE - I think this is really good as well.  My only complaint is that the hatch is too hard to open.  I'm going to have to file down the plastic to make it easier to open.  My kids can't open it on their own, and I struggle to get it open.  Not sure if they are all like this or not.

AT-DP - It stands great and looks great.  However trying to move the legs is a complete disaster.  Within ten minutes of opening and constructing this the legs popped off about five times and I had to instruct the kids not to move the legs more than a few degrees at a time.  How this got through the design process is beyond me.  The cockpit with double opening hatch is pretty cool though.

Overall I would have to say they're okay, but not great, although I think the Phantom is really solid. 

I don't think the plastic is so thin and hollow that its going to break or cause quality issues, so that's not an issue for me.

I was really annoyed with the stickers included with these though.  While the Phantom's were reasonably easy to apply, the others were terrible.  They were so small you couldn't even grab them.  I don't know how anyone without model building skills could apply these (had to get out my Exacto knife to put them on like decals), and really seem unnecessary.  Does Hasbro feel they *must* include stickers with every ship?  They were so small and meaningless, and frustrating.

While I've got my gripes, I'm very glad they created new ships and its not just repainted Jedi Starships and the usual crap we've received over the past few years.  The $25 price point isn't great for the ships alone, but its also not terrible.  I actually think its a decent deal if you get the Target versions with the pack-in figures.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2015, 01:06 AM »
Entertainment Earth has the next Class II case assortment listed, and it's not a bad breakdown in the grand scheme.  2 Stormtrooper Transports and the Inquisitors TIE?  I think the AT-DP would've been better to repack but 2 transports is a nice move ultimately.

Wave 2 Class II Case

Clicky and support your local Jedi Defender. :P

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2015, 08:41 AM »
Yeah, at least they doubled up on the Troop Transports and not the thing that has already been out for months now. I guess I better go ahead and grab another Phantom while they're still out there.

They may have bypassed the AT-DP since that Target exclusive version with the Driver is coming out soon...

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2015, 10:45 AM »
Yeah, at least they doubled up on the Troop Transports and not the thing that has already been out for months now. I guess I better go ahead and grab another Phantom while they're still out there.

They may have bypassed the AT-DP since that Target exclusive version with the Driver is coming out soon...

Well, that wouldn't be very smart on their part since there is already a TIE with Inquisitor Figure on the market.  ;) I think the odds of consumers army building the AT-DP are greater than the TIE.  And the Phantom seems to be the ship kids would be the most interested in, so really, choosing the TIE is about the worst possible option.  Same old story.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2015, 02:19 PM »
I think the TIE was chosen because the Inquisitor seems to be a pretty popular character in the vein of Maul, Vader, etc.  just my guess.  Since the only ship I saw twice was the phantom, I think really any of them would've worked ok, but this and the ATDP seem like better choices by only a hair over the phantom. 

I'd not be surprised to see revisions with the other ships as well.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2015, 09:18 AM »
All three of these vehicles are in huge supply at Disneyland's Star Trader. I think they are about $5 more than retail.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #70 on: February 9, 2015, 04:34 PM »
I was on the fence about buying these, but now I think I'll pass on all three and wait to see the reviews on the Imp Troop Transport before I decide on that one.

Saw a pic of the Imp Troop Transport filled up with VOTC Stormies on Yakface's facebook page::

Not terrible, but man, if only those troop sockets were a tad bit deeper...   still on the fence, but won't be surprised if I end up passing on this one too.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Star Wars Rebels - Class II Vehicles
« Reply #71 on: February 9, 2015, 06:25 PM »
If I see one on a whim, maybe...  This was very doable in scale, and so I'm pretty disappointed with what they dished out ultimately.  I am, however, pleased that the design is so simplistic actually, that if one were enterprising, they could easily accomplish a home made one (by one means or another) pretty easily.

I love the ship's design and update over the original vintage vehicle...  I'm definitely into owning one of these some day.  I love the role as a multi-purpose vehicle...  cargo transport, weapons platform, detention/policing vehicle.  It's very much the Hanomag of the Empire (Germany's halftracks in WWII, which saw about 3 billion configurations by war's end).

Transport men?  Sure!

Transport important prisoners?  Absolutely!

Transport boxes?  You betcha!

Slap bigger guns on it and make it an anti-tank vehicle?  We can do that too!

AA platform?  Sounds good!

I always feel like the Empire has that in mind, slightly anyway, with multiple vehicles...  Like the AT-ST can be outfitted with varying armament, should they choose.  Other platforms less so, but certain designs just look almost modular.  Even the Sandtrooper backpack looks like its a modular design so it's capable of being outfitted for any environment pretty easily.

[/end nerd stuff]

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2015, 09:02 AM »
I guess the Troop Transport is starting to hit @ TRU now...so the Hunt begins.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2015, 09:56 AM »

Saw a pic of the Imp Troop Transport filled up with VOTC Stormies on Yakface's facebook page::

Not terrible, but man, if only those troop sockets were a tad bit deeper...   still on the fence, but won't be surprised if I end up passing on this one too.

I like some of the design changes.  But the phrase that really comes to mind?

"Aren't you a little short for an Imperial Transport"?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2015, 11:48 AM »
I like this vehicle a lot, I can't wait to see what it looks like with Kubrick Stormtroopers in it :)
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird