Author Topic: watch your driving in Cally!  (Read 2648 times)

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
watch your driving in Cally!
« on: February 7, 2006, 03:57 PM »
just got this message from a friend at work who has family with CHP employee :o

All, I am not sure how true it is, but I thought I’d pass it on anyway.  Word is.......................

California Highway Patrol will launch 30-day speeding ticket frenzy in California starting January 25, 2006. The state estimates that 22 million dollars will be generated in speeding tickets.  3 million will go to pay California Highway Patrol officer overtime.  There will be 90 CaliforniaHighway Patrol officers on duty at all times patrolling the 7 freeways. They are the following: 73, 55, 133, 241, 57, 5, 605, 10, 60, 210 freeways.     

Now, 7 mph above the limit can justify a ticket, and every California Highway Patrol officer is supposed to pull a car over and write a ticket every 10 minutes.  They have issued 50 brand new unmarked Crown Victoria cruisers and they are bringing all their part-timers on full-time.

If you live or work in California and take one of these freeways, it's up to you how fast you are going when they do.

This is a test - by the CHP - to raise the extra funds for the state of California. The California State Legislators dreamed up this program to help close the budget gap.  So be safe don't forget speeding tickets are on you.                           

You've been warned.                                                 

So slow your roll.........and pass this on to your family and friends!                                                                   

I just did!

*not sure about the truth in it but it wouldn't surprise me as a way of reviving California's budget problems*
« Last Edit: February 7, 2006, 04:00 PM by Darth Slothus »

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
Re: watch your driving in Cally!
« Reply #1 on: February 7, 2006, 04:30 PM »
My girlfriend looked this up on Snopes and it's bull-****.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 7, 2006, 05:37 PM »
I got the same email about Dallas last week - it is, like Jason said, complete bull****.

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 8, 2006, 01:50 AM »
It's got to be bs. Ticketing at as little as 7mph over the speed limit is actually a relaxation of enforcement. The standard is 5 miles over (and zero tolerance on the Golden Gate Bridge).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: February 8, 2006, 02:06 AM »
In PA it's law that it has to be 10 mph over the limit unless clocked with a gun.  I was surprised at that, I didn't know it, then one day the news is doing a report on the fuzz picking up speeders on local highways and heavily traveled side roads through townships and boroughs the state doesn't watch but local do.

In PA local police can't use radar guns, only state, but they're trying to change it so city police in the state's major cities can use radar...  Anyway, in the news report they looked into the law and if you're 10 mph over, they can clock you with the watch but anything under that isn't allowed unless clocked with the Radar gun.

Funny story...  for me anyway.

I live out an artery into the city called PA Route 28.  It's just a freeway into Pittsburgh and I live actually 20 minutes away from the freeway but it's my main artery into the city.  Anyhow, I used it to commute to school so I was cruising down one day...  I do about 70 or 65 though it's a 55 zone.  This is average though it seems and I keep pace with traffic packs...

The highway follows the Allegheny River down into the city fairly closely, and down near an Industrial park the highway dips down and you can see a straight stretch of the river pretty clearly, then you go up a hill on the highway and at the crest is the industrial park's exit.  So I'm rolling down into that valley and I see a little Cesna airplane cruising low along the river which is really odd.  It was definitely a low flying plane following the river down the center...  So I begin up the hill but I can see the plane still following the river...  As I get tot he top of the hill I see the plane bank fairly hard to the right and come perfectly perpendicular to the highway and begin crossing it just as I'm cresting... 

I thought the plane was strange when I first saw it, then I knew something was up so I let off the gas quickly, and the pack I was in was gone.  We'd been doing 70 going up the hill, and many were passing in the 3rd lane on the hill to get to the frnot of the pack...  I was now several carlengths behind the pack and just as we crested the hill the plane had passed overhead across us...

Low and behold, he was a cop clocking people...  Other side of the exit ramp (on the on ramp) were 8 State Police cars...  They nailed everyone in the pack but me.  :)  Good times.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline SpudTrooper

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 8, 2006, 02:27 AM »
better start driving the mini van  8)

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 8, 2006, 03:02 PM »
http://www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/speeding.asp

Here is the Snopes story.

Scroll down. . .see that update on Tennessee?  I submitted that.   8)
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 8, 2006, 08:49 PM »
report on the fuzz

Nice. ;)

I got the same email, and It's been circulating throughout all my classes. To me, it may or may not be true, but Teen drivers are responsible for many more accidents than experienced drivers, so as long as they'll be frightened into driving safely, I'm happy.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 07:12 PM »
Gas Boycotts, 5 grand from Bill Gates for spamming your friends, Gangsters that shoot you if you flash your highbeams on Thursday, hot girls that steal your kidneys, Secret Cookie recipies, Nigerian millionaire royalty.....and now conspiracy speeding tickets.

I'm not saying any of these things COULDN'T theoretically happen, but I've been sent each one of these emails several times, always by someone I know....and never given any of them a second thought.  Most times I just hit the internet, find a site like snopes and send the link back to them.

I've NEVER forwarded one on.    Not once.

I swear....if someone walked up to you on the street and said some of this **** to you, you'd laugh at them, but for some reason, seeing the printed words still seems to dupe some people.

I have to go now. I'm going to make a six figure income in my spare time while  refinancing my house.  Then I'll think about meeting some hot local singles.

Got Clones?

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 07:43 PM »
Like some 'thousands of year old documents/recordings' in a world famous book that have trapped millions into believing it's true because "it is written" . Never proven as far as I'm concerned ::)

LOL, hows that for a world-wide farce JoshEE? Could make some money off that one too? He Heh

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 07:51 PM »
I'd love to comment, but I think there's a no religion or politics rule here.  ;D
Got Clones?

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2006, 08:31 PM »
 ;)

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 02:31 PM »
Here's a police-related story. I'm on the freeway, in a pack, driving just a little over the speed limit. A cruiser comes from behind and everyone drops it a notch to the limit.

The cop is riding with the pack for a minute or so before a couple of cars catch up to us. They see the cop (presumably), hit the brakes, then maintain speed with the rest of us. After about 5 minutes, one of those cars manuevers around a few other cars to get into an open lane, and then pulls ahead. A few seconds later -- BAM -- the police officer turns on his lights, manuevers into that lane, blasts a short "whirrrr" on his siren and pulls the guy over.

In the words of Carlos Mencia, dee dee-dee.

I've seen this twice.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 02:33 PM by Jedi Idej »

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2006, 02:46 PM »
I've "taken the ticket" for the team once when some ******* cop did this trick on me.

He had a pack of cars doing exactly 60.  I got sick of it and passed in the open left lane at maybe 65 or 70.   Not breakneck speeds, just enough to get pass the slowdown. I didn't care if I got the ticket.....I was just sick of this ******* causing a backup for a mile because he was playing games.  Of course, he came out and got me.

I pulled right over and told him that I saw him, but I was sicking of him holding up the traffic.  I told him I didn't really care about the ticket, because I'd be taking it to court anyway.  Once there, I tried to cite that you can pass at up to 15mph over the speed limit, but the judge said that that's only on a one lane road.  So I tried pointing out that there's a sign that says keep right except to pass and I was simply passing.  I had it reduced after that, but not expunged.  It's off my record now, so looking back I still feel ok about doing that.

******* ******* cops.  It was worth the 60 bucks or whatever just to not let some dip**** on a power trip ruin the day of 20 other motorists.

A light apology to anyone in real law enforcement reading these words who doesn't like my tone, but anyone who joined the police force to give people speeding tickets for doing 5mph over the limit deserves the verbal abuse.
Got Clones?

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2006, 03:11 PM »
As one who occassionally takes liberties with the speed limit, even I'd be hard-pressed to buy your argument. If everyone is going the speed limit, where's the backup? There's no stop and go; it's flowing, though maybe not at the rate some people want.