Author Topic: MLB 2004  (Read 118335 times)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: It's Outta Here! The JD Official 2004 Baseball Thread
« Reply #405 on: October 7, 2004, 06:37 PM »
Yeah, I was watching the game last night and could not believe that Nathan was STILL on the mound.  Why are these managers so stupid???  I mean really.  You either get a manager that leaves guys in way to long or a different one like LaRussa who pulls them out before they even have a chance to get into trouble.  There is not much in between.  

I can see leaving a guy in to see how he does with the first batter or first 6 pitches.  AND I would allready have a guy warming up in the pen in case the current guy is losing it.  Bbut these guys just let them screw up and THEN take him out.  It's unbelieveable!  Happens all the time though.  

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #406 on: October 7, 2004, 07:05 PM »
What do you think your Cubbies are going to do with Sosa, Bri?  Looks like he's not going to be able to co-exist with Dusty for another year, so it's gonna have to be one or the other on the ol' chopping block in the offseason, I'd guess.  Looks like they just fined Sammy big time for coming late and leaving early for that last regular season game...   :-\

We'd be happy to relieve you guys of him, and would gladly offer you a topline starter in Brad Penny in return...  Maybe even throw in a high-energy rightfielder who has a propensity for bottle throwing?   ;)

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 7, 2004, 08:24 PM »
Sending out Nathan for a third inning of work was a gamble for sure, but they had the lead so who else would you want on the mound?  Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.  I'd have yanked him after the walk to Jeter though.

The Sox look tough, but they looked bad last nite.  The Angels, unfortunately, looked worse.  What happened to Chone Figgins?  Right now, the Angels are finding ways to lose.  The series is over in my opinion, sorry to say.  As for the bad plate umpire, he definitely was squeezing the strike zone, but pros make adjustments, not excuses.

The Cubs, I think, will trade Sosa and there is already talk that the Rangers and Royals are interested. 

The Braves winning today was enormous for them.  They couldn't afford to go down 0-2 heading into Minute Maid Park (yes I said it.)

Update: Werth just went big fly.  1-0 LA.
« Last Edit: October 7, 2004, 08:25 PM by Holographic Elvis »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #408 on: October 7, 2004, 09:37 PM »
As 2004 JediDefender Fantasy Baseball Champion, I would like to state for the record that I had no idea that Grady Little was managing the Twins until I saw Joe Nathan come out for his 3rd inning of work.  Thanks Grady!!

Go Yanks!!
For the record, I already made the Grady Little comparison...where were you two night ago ::)

Romero has been terrible the last month and I think HE is right, you put your best pitcher on the mound.  It was great until you walk Jeter.  Gardy/Grady gets criticism for not having anyone warming up at the top of the 12th

Jacque Jones gets a big F-U too for looping in the ball on the final play...he clearly could have gunned down Jeter if he was paying attention.

They gotta win tomorrow night because if they have to go back to NY, I don't like their chances.  I do like their chances though in both games at home.  Depending on what type of Kevin Brown shows up

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 7, 2004, 11:07 PM »

Looks like Jim's Bravos might be heading for more postseason disaster as well.  Got handled by Oswalt pretty well, though Hampton didn't do such a bad job himself.  2-1 going into the ninth...

Actually, it was 2-2 going into the ninth. And 4-2 at the end of 11.  ;D

So much the argument of leaving in a closer for too long being a bad thing. 3 scoreless and hitless innings from Smoltz today was as huge as Furcal's homer. But then again, Houston's closer, Lidge, first off, was brought in way too early, and second, was left in way too long. The guy was not sharp at all and was putting base runnings on all over the place. He's lucky to have not lost the game in the 9th, after giving up a leadoff single to the pitcher.  ::)

Now, if we can steal game 3 away from them against some pitcher I've never heard of before, we'll be in pretty good shape.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #410 on: October 7, 2004, 11:22 PM »
Wierd.  CNNSI.com had a gooseegg up there for you guys in the 8th, heading into the top of the ninth, when I had last checked that score.  Guess they hadn't updated the score properly yet...  But nice comeback though!  Gotta give your Braves some credit for that!  Lots of exciting baseball in half the series so far.  Some not so exciting baseball in the other half.  My half.   >:(

Getting spanked again as we speak.  ARGH! 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #411 on: October 7, 2004, 11:32 PM »
Not sure what I'll enjoy more...not having to hear and see those stoopid penis clappers in Anaheim or seeing Colman's Interstate Series flushed down the toilet

I'm starting to see a Sox-Cards World Series...eeks are they both great teams. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #412 on: October 7, 2004, 11:42 PM »
I'm starting to see a SoxTwins-Cards World Series...eeks are they both great teams. 

There I fixed that for you.   ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #413 on: October 7, 2004, 11:48 PM »
Oh yes...thanks :D

Twins - Cards repeat of the '87 classic, the best 3 weeks a 12 year old boy in suburban Minnesota could have ever wished for!   Laudner throwing out Evans at Third...Gladden's Game 1 Grand Slam...losing three in a row at Saint Louis...Hrbek's grand slam in Game 6 and just an all out boring Game 7 until the final out was recorded Gaetti to Hrbek...got to skip school to go to the parade and we had first row seats at the Capital for the rally...Puck, Bruno, Hrbek, G-Man, Franky V, Blyleven, Gagne, Laudner, Gladden, Reardon...great team, great fun, great memories ;D

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 8, 2004, 03:19 PM »
Spawn.com's sports board has a contest running where you had to pick the World Series match-up, MVP and how many games the series would go.  I picked Cards over Sox in 7 w/ Jim Edmonds as MVP. 

It's must win for the Angels from here on out if they want to force a game 5 in OC. 

How scary good do the Cards look right now?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #415 on: October 8, 2004, 03:40 PM »
I think the Sox are scary good looking though too, the rest of the AL teams have some weaknesses

Twins from lack of O
Yankees and Angels from suck ass starting pitching staffs

Besides the obvious discrepency in Offense that favors the Cards, the Braves and Astros match up pretty evenly and are not far behind the Cards.  The Dodgers are done

Big game tonight...Go Twins!

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 8, 2004, 06:00 PM »
For the record, I already made the Grady Little comparison...where were you two night ago ::)

My friends had thrown me a party celebrating my sound defeat of OCB in Fantasy Baseball.  Sorry I wasn't around.

As 2004 JediDefender Fantasy Baseball Champion, going into the MLB playoffs I had picked the Yankees, Cardinals, Astros, and Angels to go to the Championship series with the Yanks beating the Astros in the World Series.  Everything is looking possible still except the Angels beating the Sox 3 straight; but admittedly, that was the one of the four series' that I was picking with my heart rather than my head.  Nevertheless, the Yanks will defeat the Sox and go on to beat the 'stros in the World Series.  MVP?  A Rod.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: October 8, 2004, 06:58 PM »
Vlad just hit a slam to tie it!! 

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #418 on: October 8, 2004, 08:11 PM »
Good God!   I had stopped checking updates on the internet at the office when we were down 6-1 in the 7th, and then my buddy from SF calls and asks me if I'm totally stressing out or what.  Had no clue what he was talking about, and then he mentioned Vlad's slam and the tied score.  Wow.  Nice comeback!  But still far from over, tied in the tenth.

**praying**

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #419 on: October 8, 2004, 08:23 PM »
Ouch.

Nice pitching change Scioscia...   ::)

See y'all next season.   :-\