Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 349711 times)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #945 on: August 13, 2009, 08:04 PM »
I was just looking at Fandango for show times.  There's a midnight showing and I might just go.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: August 14, 2009, 03:22 AM »
District 9 is one of the most incredible movies I've seen in a long time.  A+.  I'm whooped, I'll post more later but people should put this on the list of films to see, and see it soon.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #947 on: August 14, 2009, 09:18 AM »
Seeing it tonight, man.  Can't wait.  I'm going in pretty much blind except for what I've seen in trailers.  But the critical praise so far really has me excited about it.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: August 14, 2009, 09:24 AM »
I've been super hyped since I saw the first preview. I'm glad to hear it's living up to the hype so far.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: August 14, 2009, 11:25 AM »
Okay, a few thoughts on this without giving any spoilers.

First of all, the acting, directing and CGI were all spectacular in the movie.  Most of it looked way better than some parts of the GI Joe or Transformers films and they only had about a $30 million budget.  The acting was top notch, you would never guess that most of the people in this film were not actors or had very short lists of credentials.

It's shot documentary style but unlike films like Blair Witch, it's not obnoxious.  Whether the footage is from a guy on the spot following the action, closed circuit TV's around the areas the action is happening or just being filmed like a regular movie, it all works together in a very smooth way.

The plot has elements in it that you'll recognize from other films, but it's all put together in a way that doesn't make it feel ripped off. 

The locations that they found to film in are incredible both because of the look it gives the film but also in the fact that you realize, at some point, that not all of it was a set, most of it really exists in South Africa.  The film definitely is a commentary on South Africa's past even though you're watching this film about aliens, you can't help but recognize that you could easily take the aliens out and put humans in.

The film moves along at a quick pace but everything seems to be pretty well explained, I never felt like I was missing something in the story.  There is a lot of stuff to see, though.  There are subtitles that give you translations of the alien language but also for some of the humans since there's a lot of different dialects and accents.  There are also some news broadcasts that look like your standard CNN or MSNBC with the scroll at the bottom, so there's stuff there to read also.  The film definitely lends itself to a second or third viewing to take it all in, but that stuff just adds extra depth to the story, you can miss some of it and still not be lost.

I think the film is a home run.  Makes you appreciate what a good film can be and how bad a lot of things coming out of Hollywood really are.

E...

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #950 on: August 15, 2009, 02:55 PM »
I can't remember being this involved during a movie in a looooong time.  I was glued to the screen.  The weapons testing scene was the most intense Sci-Fi I've  ever seen on the screen.  It felt like all the cyberpunk novles that I read back in the early 90's.  Just brilliant.  Can't wait to se it again.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: August 15, 2009, 03:33 PM »
Saw it last night, loved it. Really a smart film that ties every small bit of plot together.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: August 15, 2009, 06:08 PM »
Spectacular sci-fi movie!  I guess that's not much coming from me because I liked Transformers for what it was, but this movie was very polished for having a lower budget.  I really got attached to the main character.  CG was fantastic - almost flawless for that matter.  A little bit of V and Alien Nation, but it has a nice twist.

I really hope they make a sequel to this movie - maybe in three years or so.

E summed up pretty much how I viewed the movie.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: August 17, 2009, 11:21 AM »
District 9 is one of the few movies I made a point to get out and see and I thought it was down right amazing. Flawed in the story department, but once you make the leaps of faith required, it's without a doubt one of the most engaging movies of the year. Almost as good as Hurt Locker.

Check out this guy's original short which lead to  the making of the movie.

It should also be noted that this director is the reason why Transformers got made. He directed a French commercial that featured a transforming car that danced. It was flawless and caught Spielberg's attention.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: August 17, 2009, 01:22 PM »
Thanks so much for posting that link Darth Anton! I caught District 9 on Saturday and was very pleased with it. It had all of the action you'd want from a summer movie while delivering a good story and a very believable setting. I'd say the lack of big-name stars acting in the film really worked to its advantage. I cannot wait to pick it up on BluRay to watch the "news footage" in detail... I'd love to read the little ticker at the bottom.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: August 17, 2009, 11:18 PM »

It should also be noted that this director is the reason why Transformers got made. He directed a French commercial that featured a transforming car that danced. It was flawless and caught Spielberg's attention.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6848826826077705214

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #956 on: August 18, 2009, 09:31 AM »
Amazing how his Transformer looks about a thousand times better than anything in Bay's films...  :P

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: August 18, 2009, 11:02 AM »
Yep. That's it. He should have done Transformers.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: August 19, 2009, 11:52 AM »
Another list....Empire Magazine's Top 50 Movie Sequels.  The Empire Strikes Back came in at #6. Also, Return of the Jedi placed #21.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 12:00 PM by Brian »

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #959 on: August 19, 2009, 12:51 PM »
Anybody seeing Bastards this weekend?  Can't wait.  After seeing District 9 last week it's shaping up to be a great August for flicks.