Collecting > Collector's Tips

The yellow plague...

<< < (2/7) > >>

Darth_Anton:
Wow, I know this has been over a year since the question was asked, but Clone commander, yo need to be careful of which kind of bag you put your figures in. The Acid in lunch bags will corrode our figures.

Dressel Rebel:
All plastic sandwich and snack bags corrode figures?

Dressel Rebel:
(20 minutes passes, Dressel checks some of his white troopers that were in snack bags)

Holy ****.  Well, I just bought my first house this past October after living in about 7 different apartments through college and dental school and residency.  Of all the army builders that I went ape**** on and bought 30 or more, I usually opened maybe 5-10 of them and left the rest carded in the package for someday when I had a house and had room to mount shelves and display everything.

Well, I think the mystery is solved as to why some of my white troopers are darker than they were when I got them.  The loose ones that had found their way into plastic snack bags are definitely less white than others that are still in the package.

Why was I not informed about this before I ruined some of my army builders?!

:)

Thankfully most of them are not in snack bags and still carded to be opened.  And most of the figures that were in snack bags were not white and have no visible damage.

Dressel Rebel:
Just doing a little research here in other threads about storing loose figures, seems tons of us put them in ziploc bags:

--- Quote from: Mikey D on April  7, 2003, 02:49 PM ---All of my loose figs are in individual Ziploc bags and then placed in Rubbermaid containers (the shallow ones, about 12" deep) and then are stored in the closet in the spare bedroom.  I have absolutely no room for any of my collection and most of it's packed away.  This way they're out of light, smoke (wife smokes), and no weapons and accessories get lost. 

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Taminar on January  3, 2004, 12:34 AM ---I have a few of my loose figures in hard plastic boxes that are just the right size for 3 3/4" figures.  I don't know what the boxes were made for, but my husband had a few and I put them to good use. :)  The others are in snack sized Ziplock bags -- just the right size for a figure and weapon.  Auriette

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: inadvertent imitation on March 26, 2004, 01:46 AM ---I used to just throw them into shoebox-sized palstic boxes and put the accessories in another box altogether. Now I'm in the process of putting them into Ziploc bags with their accessories, and putting them into some better storage. I have no room to display them all, so they spend a lot of time in storage.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: jkno on April 26, 2004, 04:42 AM ---my Action Fleet ships (I mainly collect Action Fleet) are stored in my room in the furniture drawers. They are protected from dust and sunlight. And i don't smoke. Each of them is protected by a bubble plastic bag I received with the CD's I have in my collection.  My action figures are all in big bags, but each one is in separate bag and then put in bigger bags.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: jokabofe on June  7, 2004, 07:40 PM ---
--- Quote from: Tydirium on June  7, 2004, 03:22 PM ---BTW - It’s always fun when you go to the grocery store and buy about 8 boxes of those little snack baggies. The looks you get are precious.

--- End quote ---

yeah, i actually did just that about 2 weeks ago. with a little bit of luck, and some free time, my loose figures will all be in their new homes by this weekend  ;)

(pics are forthcoming)

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Ook on October 16, 2005, 11:54 PM ---Have any of you guys who use the tackle boxes ever found the plastic to interact with your figures? Has there ever been any discoloring or figs getting stuck to the case in heat, or anything?

I'm thinking of getting some of those for loose figs that I need to store. I used to keep a bunch of loose figs bagged in ziplocs and stored in a plastic container, but I'd like to go with something that has individual compartments. I have way too many figs now to be piling them on each other in a big box. That's a recipe for disaster with all those delicate guys like battle droids and whatnot.

I thought I'd ask about any problems because I've heard people complain about certain plastics. I know one guy posted about wrapping some of his 12" figs in bubble wrap and said it turned R2-D2 yellow! I about **** when I read that and started worrying about all the ones I had in ziplocs. So far I don't think I've had any problems, though. One or two figs from the mid '90s seem to be a bit sticky, but I don't know if it's enough to blame the baggies....

--- End quote ---

The list goes on.

But I definitely notice a BIG difference in VOTC stormtroopers I had in ziplocs compared to ones still in the package.  None of these figures were ever in direct sunlight, I live like a vampire.

Rob:
Seems like this comes up every so often, and there's never a real solid answer.

I've heard people theorize that it's smoke, light, plastic bags, dust, heat, and on and on.  Since it's chemical, probably any one of these could be a culprit.

I'll add this though - I have a small coin collection that led me to look into the best way to store coins.  The one thing I found over and over again was coin collectors telling me NOT to put them in little plastic baggies.  They all say that this will corrode the coin over time.  Harder plastics are okay, but anything that's super flexible like ziplocks or sandwich bags seems to be a big no-no.

Or so I've been told.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version