Collectibles > The Force Awakens

Toy Fair 2016

<< < (6/7) > >>

Nicklab:
It does seem like things are moving in that direction.  I just checked the summer convention calendar, and Celebration Europe is the week before SDCC 2016.  You have to wonder if anything meaningful will be offered up for SDCC.

Dave:
I haven't been following any of the Toy Fair / Hasbro stuff, but was curious if Hasbro was going to keep doing all the different products like MicroMachines, Hero Mashup/Battlers, etc.

My concern is that Hasbro seems to be doing only a mediocre job managing the 3 3/4" and 6" figures, and I'm wondering if they cut out all that other stuff if they would get better results.  But maybe MicroMachines and all that other stuff sells really well.

I get worried that all that extra stuff is going to clog the pegs and as retailers look to shrink the SW footprint the main 3 3/4" and 6" stuff will get even fewer available pegs and make retail availability even worse than it is now.

It still kills me that two years in to SW Rebels that there is very little Rebels product to be had.  Even all the repacks of Kanan, The Inquisitor, and Ezra seem to sell through.  Why they can't come out with a bunch of new figures/ships in this line is hard for me to understand.

Darth_Anton:

--- Quote from: Nicklab on February 13, 2016, 10:50 PM ---From the STAR WARS ACTION NEWS FACEBOOK FEED:

The BMF Falcon can't be rerelease D because it would cost "hundreds more" to make today than back when they did. So no rerelease with TFA Falcon. How said it could cost $500 or $600 if rerelease do.

--- End quote ---

Why such a sharp increase in so little time? I curious as to the economics behind this. This also makes me very sad in that it sounds like all the high quality vehicles Hasbro was producing just a few years ago (BAT AT, TIE Interceptor/Fighters with updated cockpit, proper scale X-wings,) that I loved, are gone forever or would cost triple the price now.

--- Quote from: Nicklab on February 13, 2016, 10:50 PM ---If they bring it back it would be a card style but there's discussion about if they would be 5 POA or highly articulated.

--- End quote ---

Wow. I can hardly believe they would seriously consider 5 POA on vintage cards. The only way that would work for me is if they were reproductions of the actual vintage line.

I really dislike the direction the SW brand is going in general. There's not enough product being produced that's holding my interest as a collector.

JediJman:

--- Quote from: Darth_Anton on February 15, 2016, 11:47 AM ---Why such a sharp increase in so little time? I curious as to the economics behind this.
--- End quote ---

It's simple really.  When they previously made big ships in a non movie year they could count on a certain amount of volume. Well, not really, so let's pretend.  But based on poor sales of the completely unrelated 6" TIE Fighter and lower-than-expected sales of figures they haven't shipped to stores yet, it's clear that this item would only sell at a fraction of the volume needed to reach their 500% margin target.  I mean, who wants a ship like the Falcon after seeing it so sparingly used in the TFA anyway?  Plus they'd have to go to the whole trouble of including a few new electronics and complete redesign...of the radar dish.  You can't seriously expect there to be cost savings from the rest of the mold being completely finished and production read.  Much better to throw out unrealistic comments about price inflation and move along.  Nothing to see here.  Move along. 

--- Quote from: Darth_Anton on February 15, 2016, 11:47 AM ---Wow. I can hardly believe they would seriously consider 5 POA on vintage cards. The only way that would work for me is if they were reproductions of the actual vintage line.

--- End quote ---

Good Lord please no.  Don't even suggest that.  I spent years and years and years getting my vintage collection to where it is today.  I do not need the likely heart attack that repro figures flooding the market would bring.  Please God no.

Dave:

--- Quote from: Darth_Anton on February 15, 2016, 11:47 AM ---Why such a sharp increase in so little time? I curious as to the economics behind this.
--- End quote ---

If the paint apps on their WM TBS line are any indication, it shows they can't source enough quality production facilities to make all their product.   They'd probably have to pay workers double the old rate to make sure Han's eyes were painted on the front of his head.  ::)

Using a more cynical view of the current world economy (cheap oil and China's slowdown), I wonder if we'll see more affordable production costs out of China for our little pieces of SW plastic goodness.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version