Author Topic: Taking Back Our Hobby  (Read 27804 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Taking Back Our Hobby
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2016, 11:50 AM »
I never go to JTA, but agree that this guys sounds like a tool.  Jeff will sometimes relay some of the idiocy over there and I'm halfway tempted to check them out just to catch some of the stupid things they say.  I know it will get me riled up though, so I just ignore them.  It reminds me of watching Jerry Springer in my youth. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2016, 05:22 PM »
I know I've been negative about Hasbro from time to time on this very forum over the years, but holy crap, I'm like a ray of sunshine compared to this PH guy. I don't really pay as much attention to things as I used to, so most of my awareness comes from seeing allusions the YF or JD Twitter accounts make, but the stuff mentioned in the first post is just way over the line in terms of human decency.

If the hobby bothers you that much, just quit. Go plant a tree or pick some flowers or something. Above all else, calm down, man. They're just toys.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2017, 06:37 PM »
Bumping this as it, um, became relevant again today. Glad to see some folks pointing out JTA's hypocrisy and disgusting rhetoric on Twitter. You reap what you sow.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2017, 06:45 PM »
What happened?

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2017, 06:51 PM »
What happened?

What he said. What drama did the blowhards at JTA stir up this time?
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2017, 07:54 PM »
Bumping this as it, um, became relevant again today. Glad to see some folks pointing out JTA's hypocrisy and disgusting rhetoric on Twitter. You reap what you sow.

It's astonishing that this guy refuses to acknowledge his role in bringing the level of discourse in the hobby down to such a vile level.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2017, 08:26 PM »
It's astonishing that this guy refuses to acknowledge his role in bringing the level of discourse in the hobby down to such a vile level.

I still don't know who this guy is or what he did now, but this is probably a good example of why I like our quiet little corner of this hobby right here. 

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2017, 08:48 PM »
You are blessed.

I wouldn't have known about anything today if not for Twitter. In a nutshell, Paul Harrison posted a lengthy post asking people not to post derogatory comments - like the ones he routinely does. It's laudable, except he is the primary instigator in the toxic atmosphere at that site. It's his brand. So people came with receipts and he's getting called out for his hypocrisy.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2017, 09:12 PM »
You are blessed.

I wouldn't have known about anything today if not for Twitter. In a nutshell, Paul Harrison posted a lengthy post asking people not to post derogatory comments - like the ones he routinely does. It's laudable, except he is the primary instigator in the toxic atmosphere at that site. It's his brand. So people came with receipts and he's getting called out for his hypocrisy.

You pointing out his Jyn Erso comments was a perfect illustration of his twisted double standards.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 09:13 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2017, 09:30 PM »
I would have been more forgiving if he had said, I've participated in this in the past and I regret it. He didn't do that. He started calling people liars and his usual shtick. I know not everyone pays attention and like Rob said, it's great just to have this little corner of fandom that's quiet and considered, but some days it feels like this bro flake stuff is pushing us into a corner. This is our hobby. It's big, diverse, fun and it's about toys. It's not about anybody's political stances or personal insecurities.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2017, 09:38 PM »
I would have been more forgiving if he had said, I've participated in this in the past and I regret it. He didn't do that. He started calling people liars and his usual shtick. I know not everyone pays attention and like Rob said, it's great just to have this little corner of fandom that's quiet and considered, but some days it feels like this bro flake stuff is pushing us into a corner. This is our hobby. It's big, diverse, fun and it's about toys. It's not about anybody's political stances or personal insecurities.

If you want your tweet to get a little more attention?  Copy @kelsey_wojdyla from Litzky PR.  They handle Hasbro's public relations.

Enough is enough.

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2017, 09:50 PM »
Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind. I know someone tagged Hasbro in one of the tweets today.

I do think there should be some consideration on Hasbro's part re: his behavior. Harrison has been talking at Hascon about being an integral part of Hasbro's process and being part of some collector panel going forward. I don't think he's representative, not with his rhetoric. I'm sure his post today was motivated by trying to improve his optics as he improves his 'standing,' but it's disingenuous. He shouldn't have a seat at the table if he got there by fermenting a toxic environment in our hobby.

He's the same guy who misrepresented Hasbro's statement in a Q&A about female figures, and rode the resulting firestorm to a higher profile online even as he spouted his own misogny about 'recklessly bossy' female leads who were a product of Disney's SJW agenda.

Anyways. Thanks for the tip!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2017, 10:21 PM »
At some point he's going to be seen as more of a liability than an asset.  Seeing how his rhetoric is in direct conflict with what Lucasfilm wants to do when it comes to developing new entertainment and characters?  I don't see him winning that argument.

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2017, 08:53 AM »
That was beyond asinine and another great example of why both he and that site JUST PLAIN SUCK.

When he brought the Nazis and alt-right into it, his agenda became pretty clear. That pathetic idiot has serious emotional problems.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2017, 12:46 PM »
When he brought the Nazis and alt-right into it, his agenda became pretty clear.

Thankfully I missed this, though I'm not surprised. His issues are well known, and I pointed out some examples in this thread earlier. But his behavior extends much further than that, into conduct that's detrimental to the hobby and his peers. This is a guy who has touted for the return of SA / TVC 3.75 figures, railed against collectors for letting the format fail, as he routinely links to eBay auctions selling these figures out the back door. He huffs and puffs about other sites 'leaking' while he rarely gives proper attribution for scoops or discoveries other people made. His infamous Q&A where Hasbro 'felt they had made enough girl figures' resulted in every Q&A going forward being recorded. He never stood on his reporting, amending it to preserve his relationship with Hasbro, even as he benefited from the controversy that followed in terms of traffic and exposure.

I'm sure others have many other examples that speak to this, and maybe they'll share them.