Author Topic: First Order Stormtrooper Transport  (Read 4595 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
First Order Stormtrooper Transport
« on: December 28, 2015, 08:40 AM »
One of the interesting developments of the vehicle/starship front has to be the new First Order Stormtrooper Transport.  This is NOT your PT era Republic Gunship by any stretch of the imagination.  This is much more like a WWII Higgins boat landing craft from Omaha beach.  And it's one of the first vehicles we see in THE FORCE AWAKENS.  What do you think of this new vehicle?

"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: First Order Stormtrooper Transport
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 10:44 AM »
I definitely think it is an interesting design. I wasn't "sold" on it at first but when I got the Lego version of this vehicle, I quickly warmed up to the vehicle from a military/practicality standpoint. I agree with your assessment that the vehicle was intended to evoke WW2-era landing craft.

We never really got to see Troop deployments from orbiting ship-to-planet in the OT. The Sandtroopers were "just there" on Tatooine in ANH, the AT-ATs were already on approach in ESB and all of the troops and equipment on Endor were already in place. So seeing the First Order deploy a landing party to take out that village on Jakku was something "new" from an Empire/First Order troop deployment standpoint.

I just might have to pick up the cross sections book - looks like there might be some interesting details on each vehicle from TFA...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 11:21 AM »
I was expecting an Omaha beach-type landing scene when they arrived at Maz's Castle on Takodana. I was imagining them flying in low along the water and skimming up the beach, dropping the ramp and having them flood out out the bay. Anyway, I like there practicality and utilitarian design, except for the pilot tower.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 07:07 PM »
When I saw the Lego design, I fell in love with it...  military stuff, I just dig it in Star Wars.

That said...  I've felt like the FO sure have as little regard for their troops as the old Empire did, with the forward-facing ramps and all.  The Higgins Boats were as they were because the design warranted it.  In Star Wars, you'd think they'd at least have side-opening doors, haha.  But still, Empire gonna Empire and stuff so I dig it.  TIE's seem about as ****** as ever too as well, save for the 2-seater's obvious enhancements.

I thought vehicle designs were pretty nifty this film in general.  Much cooler than some of the PT stuff that came out.  See my praise of the Snowspeeder "Speep" I can't get enough of.  Hoping I can find more of it at this point.  Wish it'd be on sale, but I'll suffice with just finding one or two more at retail.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 2, 2016, 11:40 AM »
I was expecting an Omaha beach-type landing scene when they arrived at Maz's Castle on Takodana. I was imagining them flying in low along the water and skimming up the beach, dropping the ramp and having them flood out out the bay. Anyway, I like there practicality and utilitarian design, except for the pilot tower.

+1 - can't stand the pilot tower.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today