Author Topic: Transformers  (Read 363122 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: Transformers
« Reply #450 on: June 29, 2007, 10:05 PM »
I have insanely horrible luck with WM Transformers exclusives. But there is no way I'm letting this one by me.

I was expecting that to be a TRU exclusive. I have no problem at all getting my hands on those.

But it's great that Hasbro's selling that guy stateside, and in the proper colors. Hopefully they do Skywarp too so I don't have to pay $100 for TakTom's version.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: June 30, 2007, 09:29 AM »
PEPSI OPTIMUS PRIME arrives in the US: Exclusively at BotCon 2007 and Hasbrotoyshop.com

I figured this would happen. It's supposed to be $25, which I'll gladly fork over so I can stop buying Pepsi products. It'd be nice to know if I won one from the promotion already, but since I don't, I'll buy this.

I just wish the Botcon exclusive set of Seekers was on HTS too, even for $100.

It's only going to be $25? Wow, that's good to know. I've been entering the Pepsi promotion like mad in hopes of scoring one. The screwed up thing about that promo is that they don't tell you if you won, the prize just shows up at your house. And since this prize hasn't started shipping yet, no one knows if they won...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 09:30 AM by Madcow »

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 1, 2007, 10:36 AM »
I (finally) found the Decepticon Sneak Attack RH 5-pack at the local WM yesterday morning.  As is usually the case with this WM, they were shoved rather unceremoniously under the three Marvel Legends figures and mostly bare pegs instead of, you know, putting them with Transformers toys.  ::)

Anyway, the set is pretty neat.  Can't remember if this had been said earlier in the thread (and I'm too lazy to look), but the "Super Metal" paint job on Prime isn't terribly different than the regular version in the 2-pack with Ravage.  Megatron, however, looks a million times better with the silver paint job.  Cliffjumper and Skywarp are okay, but Mirage is really cool.  Even though I don't like the pose, the hologram effect is very well done, and he's even got part of the "Citanes" on his upper biceps like the G1 version. :)

I've been preparing for the film by picking up the IDW comics (well, most of them) over the last month or so.  The ongoing "rebooted" series (Infiltration, Stormbringer, Escalation, and Spotlight) are really good, and I'd highly recommend grabbing those.  IDW also reprinted the War Within TPBs (at least the first two that were finished), and while those are good, I was a little disappointed in them.  The Movie Prequel comic is good, too, so if you enjoy the film, I'd say to grab it.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 2, 2007, 09:57 AM »
Sounds like there was a Q and A with Hasbro about the future of Transformers lines at Botcon this weekend.  I'm sure those of you more familiar with the various lines will get more out of this than me, but there is some new info at the linky.  It sounds like Titanium and Alternators are going away, Classics is coming back (eventually), and they're happy with how Robot Heroes are doing (Beast Wars ones on the way).  Lots of info on the new cartoon on the way as well (and a toyline along with it), not so sure about it yet though.

From what I understand, Classics was pretty well received by fans and collectors, right?  I never picked any of them up, but have been tempted to get Bumblebee and/or Prime (they still have them at our TRU, and I think maybe Wal-Mart).  I've been debating whether to get Classics versions of movie figures, if any, but it sounds like Classics were pretty well received the first time around - again, you guys know more about it than I would.

Offline DarkKnight2k4

• Jedi Apprentice
  • You underestimate my power...
    • View Profile
    • New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club
« Reply #454 on: July 2, 2007, 10:19 AM »
I love the classics. It is what got me back into this line.

If they bring them back, I will be there to hand them the funds...  :P

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 2, 2007, 11:39 AM »
Brian, the Classics series was, by and large, damn near perfect.  My only gripe with the line was that only two of the three original Decepticon jets were released to retail and the third was part of an exclusive box set that hardly anyone who isn't loaded couldn't get (along with two of the three second wave of Decepticon jets, making it even more frustrating).  If they continue the Classics line (even under this "Universe" banner) in terms of quality and character selection, I'll be in it for the long haul. 

BTW, for those of you who haven't read it, there are apparently plans for Classics Sideswipe and Sunstreaker, Ironhide, (a distant possiblity of) Ratchet, a totally new Galvatron that isn't a repaint of Megatron, and Prowl, along with the possibility of larger, Leader Class Classics/Universe toys.  On the RH front, the only confirmed set was a Beast Wars Cheetor vs. Megatron, and the mention of a RH Galvatron relatively soon.

On a current note, I picked up the "Real Gear Robots" Booster X10 at Wal-Mart this morning after I read a positive review on a TF board.  What the review implied is pretty much true:  it's an updated, movie-style, 21st century version of Laserbeak, colors and all.  The rest of the stuff looks like crap, but this one is very cool and very recommended for fans of G1.  Here's to hoping there is an eventual black and gold repaint of Laserbeak/Booster X10.  ;D

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #456 on: July 2, 2007, 01:12 PM »
Pepsi Prime on HTS

Ordered one. Now I can finally stop begging for caps and drinking Diet Mountain Dew.  :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline DarkKnight2k4

• Jedi Apprentice
  • You underestimate my power...
    • View Profile
    • New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club
« Reply #457 on: July 2, 2007, 01:32 PM »
crap... out of stock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 2, 2007, 01:47 PM »
Pepsi Prime on HTS

Ordered one. Now I can finally stop begging for caps and drinking Diet Mountain Dew.  :)

Meh, oh well. Here's to hoping for the contest. They still haven't started shipping them out yet so there's still a chance...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 3, 2007, 10:09 AM »
Thanks for the info on the classics line guys.  I'll never be able to collect Transformers too deeply, but I wouldn't mind picking up a few and right now I'm trying to decide between the Classics line or the movie line.  The two I'd get first would be Bumblebee and Optimus, and it seems like they are available in some form in both the classics and movie lines.  Anyways, thanks again for the info, I really appreciate it.  Oh, is there a checklist somewhere of what was released in the classics line?  I was looking through HTS and BBTS listings, but I wasn't sure if there were some things missing from those.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 3, 2007, 10:35 AM »
Even though it's not an official checklist (and one I just whipped up myself), here is a list of what was released under the Classics banner (not including the Mini-Con packs, since those suck):

DELUXE CLASS:
-Astrotrain
-Bumblebee
-Cliffjumper (repaint of Bumblebee)
-Grimlock
-Hot Rod (named Rodimus for copyright reasons)
-Mirage
-Ramjet
-Starscream

VOYAGER CLASS:
-Jetfire
-Megatron
-Optimus Prime

EXCLUSIVES:
-Defense of Autobot City Two-Pack: Ultra Magnus (Optimus Prime repaint) vs. Skywarp (Starscream repaint)-Target Exclusive
-Constructicon Devastator Gift Set (Energon Constructicon Maximus repaints)-Wal-Mart Exclusive
-G1 Soundwave with Ravage and Laserbeak-Toys R Us Exclusive

Oh, and lest we forget the hideously overpriced BotCon boxset from this past weekend that included Thundercracker, Thrust, and Dirge amongst others, as well as the Holographic Deluxe Class Mirage that was given away at the convention.

The only disappointing one on the list for me (at least among the mass market releases) was Astrotrain.  Other than that, every other figure was top notch and well worth picking up.

Oh, and I saw the movie last night.  Three words:  OH.  MY.  GOD.  It won't be winning any awards for plot or screenplay quality, but it was just overwhelming.  Jaw droppingly visually intense is the only way I can describe it. 

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 3, 2007, 02:40 PM »
Pepsi Prime on HTS

That's gotta be a hell of a deal.  I ordered one of those from Japan a couple years ago and I'm sure I paid way more than $25.

I bought the 20th Anniversary Transformers movie DVD a couple days ago and it sure brought back some memories of those toys.  I haven't collected any Transformers since I was a kid (the only one I ever had was Prime, so that's why I bought the Pepsi version), but it sure made me want to get into these.  BTW, thanks for that list DP, so I have another question.  Anyone familiar with a TF website that would have pics of the various toy releases from the last couple years? 

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 3, 2007, 03:33 PM »
Ben Yee's site bwtf has a lot of really good pics and descriptions of all Transformer toy lines, but it's not quite complete.

Also looks like TRU was running a huge sale-still is just not on the good stuff.  $7.50 Soundwave, $5 ALT Mirage, and $22.50 for 20th Prime....Maybe they'll come back up though...
« Last Edit: July 3, 2007, 03:41 PM by iFett »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 3, 2007, 04:16 PM »
I happened across a post that mentioned some Marvel stuff on sale at TRU, and noticed the Transformers stuff up as well - but unfortunately, I was too late.  I would have definitely picked up that Prime though, hopefully it will come back up (or they'll follow suit in the stores).  The Soundwave would be cool too.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 3, 2007, 05:05 PM »
Anyone familiar with a TF website that would have pics of the various toy releases from the last couple years? 

The two "biggest" sites in terms of content out there seem to be Seibertron and Transformer World 2005.  The former has a pretty exhaustive photo archive from the new movie toys, and it looks as if they have the same thing for the entire history of the line back to G1, so that would be the first place I'd go for photos and whatnot.

That said, here's direct link to Seibertron's Classics galleries.