Multimedia > The Original Trilogy

SE Greedo Scene: Was it just poor execution?

(1/4) > >>

Muftak:
Imagine if you will, a scene from the "Ultimate" edition of ANH on DVD in 2006:

Greedo threatens Han, while Han silently pulls his blaster from the holster. Then, just as you instinctively cringe to watch the poorly edited "Greedo shooting first", your draw drops as an entirely new image plays out: Greedo shoots with precise aim, but Han rolls smoothly to the right, clears his blaster above the table, and burns a hole in Greedo's chest.

All of it clean and clear (the way George really wants it) redone on stage with Harrison Ford's face painstakingly mapped onto a double's head.

Would the scene be passable in your eyes then?

BobaShek:
Why couldn't they just leave it alone in the first place? :P

JediMAC:
It would be better, but still not as I would prefer it to be, which would be how it was in the original.  Han NOT shooting first severely alters his character.  If he's just defending himself following an errant shot by Greedo, he's not such a ruthless scoundrel at the beginning of ANH, and therefore his evolution into a Rebel hero isn't nearly as dramatic and impressive.  That's what I think most people are forgetting here...

But your idea Bobb would technically and realistically look much better on the screen, and be more believable.  I mean c'mon, a bounty hunter missing his stationary target from 3 feet away?  Puhleeeeze!   ::)  But simply polishing up Greedo's miss and Han's retaliation in the SE still wouldn't have the same effect as the original scene...   :-\

dustrho:
I would prefer it to be the original shot, with Han shooting Greedo first.  I hate that part in the Special Edition, and hopefully they'll remove it from the DVD version (whenever that comes out).

Jesse James:
I like it originally, and that's how (In my mind) it plays out every time...  I just ignore the SE, though that is the "Canon" way of things and I'm just being stubborn in my way of thinking.

With that said, your idea is better than what it is now Muftak, so it'd ease the pain somewhat.  I maybe would "accept" it a little better.

Still, I enjoyed Han as a murderer...  He's ruthless, and willing to kill before there's a chance he'd even be in legitimate danger.  I like that he really does redeem himself under that story pretense, but as it is now he's just not as "bad" as he was before.

So, I'll still always just imagine Han frying Greedo like a punk before he could take him to Jabba to talk his way out of it.

It was so much better that way, but alas Lucas has been wussed out in his old age and worries that his kids will have nightmares about the Brocolli man being shot by "Uncle Harrison".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version