Author Topic: Midnight Madness Experiences! Share!  (Read 34680 times)

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Midnight Madness Experiences! Share!
« Reply #30 on: April 2, 2005, 06:03 PM »
Hey Matt....DId you see any AT-TE Gunners or Medic Droids?

Or those duel scenes by any chance? I went to 4 stores at opening and didn't find any of those. Huh. 8)

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 2, 2005, 06:14 PM »
Hey Matt....DId you see any AT-TE Gunners or Medic Droids?

Or those duel scenes by any chance? I went to 4 stores at opening and didn't find any of those. Huh. 8)
Justin, Like you I haven't seen any of the duel scenes or the AT-TE Gunners or Medic Droids.  I know my cousin found the Droids at a walmart, not sure where through in the area, I think somehwere near Pasedena. 
I'm going to check a few more targets and walmarts in the aera tommorrow to see if I can ind anything I need but after that not buy till next saturday or so when the buzz stops alittle.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #32 on: April 2, 2005, 06:16 PM »
I picked up...

TRU:
Dooku
Blue Guard
Red Guard

Target:
Clone Cup

Wal-Mart:
Darth Tater

:)

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 2, 2005, 06:22 PM »
Thanks everyone -

Sorry I didn't share more story this morning - I was running out the door to hit the downtown WalMart tent that didn't exist. *cough* SPRRY75/Ryan *cough*

Ryan and I decided to head out together last night kind of at the last minute.

We decided to drive to Payson Walmart for midnight and work our way back.

We arrived at about 11:15 and went back to check the aisle out. There was a tape across the area with a note about Star Wars not being sold until 12 am.

They were still pulling a lot of the self-contained pallets out of the back, and Sprry and I asked if we could check out the aisle - the toy guy was totally cool, and even let us start filling our carts.

We had the aisle to ourselves for a good 45 minutes.

There weren't any figures beyond #32, and I was pretty minimal in what I wanted, so this was even a bigger bummer. The toy guy really thought he had seen the Clone Pilot (no way) and allowed us to open sealed 3 3/4 cases on a pallet and go through them. I know! It was so taboo. I felt dirty, and was certain someone else would come along at any moment and bust us.

But they didn't.

Scored one red and one blue guard, and left about ten (at least) of each there. D'oh! If I only knew.

Then we hit Springville Walmart, and I got the AT-RT like the tard that I am. $20 for a poorly painted figure who is eternally in the taking a dump position. They had the super-secret tent, and I was really pissed to learn that the early bird wouldn't be around until 8, and only in the tent. Suck.

Next we went to Orem TRU and saw Randy (Mandalorian Candidat) and Ryan2. I met Dave for the first time there, which was cool and another Randy. Nice to finally have the community aspect of the evening - we stood around talking for a while.

I'm a total tool, so I convinced Sprry to stop off at the AM FK Walmart even though I knew deep inside it would be a waste. We got a glimpse of the Early Bird throught the tent flap before the security guard made it clear we weren't getting in, even for a look around.

Dropped Ryan off at about 2:30 I think.

This morning I basically drove around looking for that dang ARC-170, and the Early Bird.

Walmart 13th - squat

Target 106th - Easy score on Lava Vader & I saw Abel

Abel told me that 106th didn't have any Early Bird sets, so I skipped them

Target Redwood 70ish - squat

Murray TRU - Met Jason Gibson in line because they don't open until 10 now, and we both thought 9:30. Nice guy. Also had the incredible line cutting bitch who wouldn't tell me what she was after and then didn't like it when I asked her how cutting in line worked for her in her life. She gave me a sad dance about how she had been in her car since 9 until she saw Jason and I cue up. I didn't really care, since I was there for sand for the sand box more than SW, but she was still a piece of work.

Kmart 9th E - crap, and not much shelf space

Smith's 3300 S - Bupkis - nothing even out

Kmart Parley's - boring

It didn't feel like a launch. It was great to hang out with Ryan, but I expected more stuff and more people. I was glad to not have the competiton at Payson, but felt a little dumb to be one of so few out that late.

Now to decide what I'm opening today, what I'm keeping around for a while, and what goes back the next time I walk into a Walmart.

BTW - EVERYONE gets the $1 off at Target, card or not. They scanned a photocopy at the register when I was at 106th S.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 2, 2005, 07:11 PM »
Anyone go to any K-Marts?  The one in my area is a good sized one, and they had nothing. Not one fig.  I asked a sales associate if there was a display somewhere else in the store. She looked at me like I had horns or something. 

I went to a TRU this morning and this family around my age with 3 kids between 5 and 8 were all excited about SW and I thought cool that some younger kids were interested.  The whole family turned out to be a bunch of jackasses.  They parked three carriages in front of the pegs and moved for no one.  The little bastards should of been beaten, just as an attention getter.  They made my son feel like dirt.  Rude, disrespectful and spoiled rotten. 

I hit 8 different stores today, totaling over 100 miles and found nothing past #32.  Did anyone figure out why the shopstarwars.com website was selling figs for 12.99?  It said they were in some kind of case.  What a markup.  They had figs past #32 and sold out quick.  Unbelievable for that price.  Walmart and TRU online had some figs past #32 as well but I missed out. 

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 2, 2005, 07:18 PM »
I cheked my local Kmart which had some Ep3 figures in the regular SW Asile.  There also still had POTC on the pegs with the Ep3 stuff.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #36 on: April 2, 2005, 07:55 PM »
I got like 3 hours of sleep on Thursday night and woke up at 9 am. I haven't been to bed since. ;) :)  it was sooo much fun I went with 2 other guys and we all knew what each other wnated, we looted our local Wally. We caem out so much better than any one else there. I got one of 5 Red Royal guards that was found anywhere today, in Fort Collins, and I got half the Clone Commanders and Pilots found in the state of CO. ;D It was such a blast we all started grabbing stuff and piled our 2 carts full with what we wanted, then we sorted it all out later. It was cool meeting some other people too. And I kicked my MOMC habit last night, I'm loose first carded second now. :)
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #37 on: April 2, 2005, 07:56 PM »
And I didn't even bother going, haha.

Couldn't figure out what the locals were going to do, so I stayed home...

Went at the buttcrack of dawn to get the Targer Vader.  Only exclusive I got this day.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #38 on: April 2, 2005, 08:18 PM »
For my 1000th post:

I went to WM with my cousins around 11 PM and somehow managed to be the second, third and fourth people there.  They had yet to stock the shelves and we watched as they did.  Met HMI, which was real nice, and met a lot of other nice folks.

My haul:

Obi Wan Jedi Kick
Anakin Robes
Tarfful
Mace
Padme
Dooku
Agen Kolar
Bodyguard
Blue Guard

It was a lot of fun, and I'm bummed it's the last one.  Enjoy your toys!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #39 on: April 3, 2005, 12:31 AM »
I also have to say that the sales today were amazing.  I checked the local Target twice today, once at opening and again this afternoon, the pegs were bare after being loaded this morning, same goes for my neighborhood TRU.  They were emptying at least 10 more cases this afternoon at TRU
« Last Edit: April 3, 2005, 12:31 AM by Scott »

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 3, 2005, 12:42 AM »
I picked up 10 additional clones this afternoon at TRU...so that's about $52 plus the $21 novel from Barnes and Nobel.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

SilverZ

« Reply #41 on: April 3, 2005, 01:43 AM »
I wanted to post a small follow-up to Matt’s post about our trip, which was an all-nighter. My apologies for what is probably a rambling post – I’ve been up since 8am Friday. The basics for our trip into the high desert of Southern California:

Between 12:00am and 10:00am we visited 3 Walmarts, 1 Kmart, 2 Targets, 1 TRU, and one KB Toys. 

We each found our complete sets of figures #1-36. No sightings of the last 4 figures. Clone Pilot, Clone Commander, and Exploding Grievous Collection 1 cases were only found in limited amounts.

Found all vehicles with the exception of the AT-RT, which was MIA.

Secured the Lava Vader and Early Bird exclusives. The TRU only received a box of 12 Yodas, similar to other reports, so we missed out.

Battle Arenas were rarely seen, and when finally found, mostly in damaged packaging.

Target cups were sadly understocked at one case per store visited.

SilverZ

« Reply #42 on: April 3, 2005, 01:53 AM »
Target, 4am. No lights except those coming from Lowe's across the parking lot.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #43 on: April 3, 2005, 03:42 AM »
I didn't see those cups today, which kind of ticks me off. They had plenty of micro vehicles, though.

These cup/figure sets aren't really limited, are they? I loved the first set and would love to get my hands on these.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 3, 2005, 10:46 AM »
To all:

Well I made it through my first midnght madness!  I thought I would take a moment to share my thoughts.  I spent about $250 and had a memorable time. 

Went to Walmart and got 1-32 fine and had no problem getting the Lava Vader at the target a block away from my house. 

Scalpers were out as I heard them talking about selling stuff.  I understand the concept of free enterprise, but doing so at a release date where others will miss out iritates me.   

I went there later in the afternoon to return army builders as I got too caught up in the hype.  Also, here is what else I bought from a rescue mission yesterday...our first family dog.  His name is Sponge.

I hope you all had fun!

DBK
« Last Edit: April 3, 2005, 01:07 PM by DaBigKahuna »