Author Topic: 2008/2009 Evolutions Sets  (Read 160039 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Evolutions Sets
« Reply #360 on: March 5, 2008, 12:04 PM »
I got a chance to open up the two Evolution sets I got over the weekend (Fett and Jedi), and I have to say that I'm pretty impressed.  If this is Hasbro's way of getting "VOTC quality" prequel figures (without putting them on "vintage style cards"), I think its a good idea.  I know a lot of us weren't fans of the idea of putting prequel figures on VOTC cards, and the Evo sets offer a good opportunity to get some nice prequel figures out there.  Anyways, the Qui-Gon and Jango are two top notch figures (not to mention Bultar Swan and Boba), and even the lesser talked about figures like Luke and Mandalore are well done.  I'd really like to see this Qui-Gon and Jango released on basic cards some day, and hopefully we'll see that happen eventually.  Although I'm may be more of an OT fan overall, its really nice to see some "ultimate" style resculpts of prequel figures long overdue like Qui-Gon and Jango, and hopefully some TPM/AOTC Obi, ROTS Grievous, and others are on the way in the future.

I'd read this and was anxiously awaiting these things arriving and they finally did today.  Naturally, the $29.99 Canadian price point is attrocious, but when you consider our basic figures are an appallilng $10 a pop, it's not a horrible price here.  But it certainly factors into my decisions on what to purchase. 

I opted only to pick up the Sith Legacy set and leave the rest behind. 

I didn't really like the Qui-Gon sculpt, to be honest.  I don't know if it was that sculpt in particular, or the newer sculpting of human characters I'm not such a fan of, or if it was just the particular figure that had bad paint apps or something different.  The Bultar Swan figure was fine, but I just didn't like the paint on that head so I couldn't justify that either.  And I'm not a big fan of the new Luke head either.  I didn't really like it too much on the Tatooine version last year or the Jedi version.  I guess it's the future head for a while, but meh. 

Tempted by the Fett set, and I might get it down the line, but I'm not dying for Mandalore and still haven't purchased the EE Mandalorian stuff.  I did get a good look at Boba and Jango and they look like really nice figures too, so a good set by my estimation. 

I couldn't bring myself to justify the FU set either.  All the figures looked nice and I might end up liking the game, but I might never play it and thus these are just random EU pieces to me right now. 

So only the Sith set came home and I just about burst out laughing when I opened it up to see the plethora of accessories with it.  Uh, hello, cheap out much.  Are you telling me you couldn't just have put Bane's accessories on Bane and left it at that?  Big boo on the non-effort there.  Pointless waste of cardboard and plastic to package these like that.  Are the other sets that craptastic with minimal accessories?  I like the figures, they are well done and mine have very nice paint apps.  But c'mon, I lose more plastic than that nearly every day.  Sheesh.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: March 5, 2008, 12:10 PM »
So only the Sith set came home and I just about burst out laughing when I opened it up to see the plethora of accessories with it.  Uh, hello, cheap out much.  Are you telling me you couldn't just have put Bane's accessories on Bane and left it at that?  Big boo on the non-effort there.  Pointless waste of cardboard and plastic to package these like that.  Are the other sets that craptastic with minimal accessories?  I like the figures, they are well done and mine have very nice paint apps.  But c'mon, I lose more plastic than that nearly every day.  Sheesh.

Yeah, it doesn't seem - at least so far - that we're getting nearly the accessories that the Evolutions sets seemed to come with the first time around.  I thought it was funny as well, opening the Jedi set, to see that the accessory area contained only a robe for Qui-Gon.  Granted, I don't know what else this particular set needed, but all of the new ones so far seem a little sparse in that area.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 5, 2008, 12:43 PM »
Yeah, sparse about sums it up.  I can't/haven't seen into the other sets, so if that's all that's in there it's a fairly weak effort.  Again, great figures, but couldn't they have modified the packaging for a 2008 Evolutions look and saved on the space/plastic/cardboard simply by putting the 1-4 accessories on the figure they were meant for?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #363 on: March 5, 2008, 02:40 PM »
  Granted, I don't know what else this particular set needed, but all of the new ones so far seem a little sparse in that area.

Two more robes...  :(  3 lightsaber hilts for the Jedi's belts...

I'd have given Qui-Gon his communicator thing and a rebreather too, but that's me.  All things Hasbro should have sculpts available for too.  A little disappointing but Hasbro said the new sets wouldn't have as many accessories.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 5, 2008, 02:51 PM »
Great ideas Jesse, and like you said, pretty simple for Hasbro to include you would think.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 5, 2008, 05:17 PM »
Saw all the new Evo sets today (Fetts, Sith, Jedi, Unleashed) and passed on all of them..I think the lackluster showings at toy fair and the PT/EU direction the line has taken appears to have helped me get that completionist monkey off my back...

I really want only the Boba Fett out of all of those anyway, and knowing hasbro he'll be a "Legendary Legends of Lore" repack next year.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 5, 2008, 09:27 PM »
Yeah, I have been thinking that about some of these sets.  I just want Qui-Gon from his set.  I really only want Jango.  I only want Darth Nihilus.  I only want Wes Janson.   I do want the entire Padme set.  So, I just don't know if I should plunk down $20 for only 1 figure I want in most sets?  Undoubtedly some would come in repacks at some point.  I may breakdown for the Fett set as I REALLY want Jango and Boba may not be bad to have an extra.   

Plus, I want some single pack figures yet like Jango Poncho, Roron Corob, Wolfman Jedi, etc that I have not found as of yet. 

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 5, 2008, 10:49 PM »
Saw all the new Evo sets today (Fetts, Sith, Jedi, Unleashed) and passed on all of them..I think the lackluster showings at toy fair and the PT/EU direction the line has taken appears to have helped me get that completionist monkey off my back...

That is really something.  Man, if I could pass on all 4 of these sets, I'd have thought that I not only got the completionist monkey off my back, I'd have gotten the entire hobby off my back.

I was able to pass on the Force Unleashed evo, and barely at that.  And I am not a completionist by any stretch.  I usually buy about 70% of Hasbro's 3 3/4" offerings.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 6, 2008, 08:04 AM »
I was just as shocked (and a little saddened)

Conditions were perfect for a purchase, I had it in the budget, I haven't bought a new SW figure for myself in months, Boba Fett was in one of the packs, new parts (heads mostly) for fodder.

This very well may be the end of the modern collecting period for me.  We will know for sure if I am able to pass on OT (non EU based) Army Builders.

I am looking forward to the Rebel Pilots set that is coming, so maybe all hope is not lost.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 6, 2008, 09:01 AM »
I'm still on the fence about the TFU set. It's still sitting un-opened in my SW area. I've also been seeing all the sets on the shelves lately, nice to see them getting out there.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 6, 2008, 10:26 AM »
I saw a few of the new ones today - TFU and the Jedi Set.  Easy passes, but if I ever see the Fett set, I'd like to pick it up.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 6, 2008, 01:30 PM »
I think that's the crappy thing about these new Evolutions sets... none of the sets have that "MUST BUY!" appeal with all 3 of the figures. I mean, look back at the original sets. Both Clone sets had "ultimate" Clones (not to mention that it was the first time an AOTC Clone had been available at retail in several years) and a decent Sandtrooper too. The Sith set had our first ever SA Maul and Palpatine and a decent Dooku. And the Anakin set, well that was just awesome as we got first ever SA figs of AOTC AND ROTS Anakin and a first ever SA removable helmet Vader.

But then you look at these new sets and you can tell there was some half assing in order to get us the "ultimate" figures. There's at least one stinker in each set, IMO. For example, I only want the Qui-Gon from the Jedi set, why couldn't we get him in a regular release sometime this year? Oh, right, because Hasbro hates making TPM figures because they bomb at retail (wouldn't happen if they made better choices...). No interest in the EU rainbow Luke or chick Jedi. And the Fett set, we should have gotten that Jango as a single card, perhaps even the Boba (I've been quite happy with the VOTC Fett for 4 years now). That Mandolorian just looks stupid to me. The Sith set flat out sucks (though shirtless Maul is kinda cool) and I'm still on the fence about the TFU set.

I still say Hasbro should have made some better character choices like they did with the upcoming Padme set. Instead of giving us a crappy Mando Warrior we could have gotten an SA AOTC Boba. That would have made it an actual Fett Legacy...
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 6, 2008, 01:43 PM »
Instead of giving us a crappy Mando Warrior we could have gotten an SA AOTC Boba.

You serious, Clark?  I was with you until that part...

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #373 on: March 6, 2008, 01:56 PM »
I only want the Qui-Gon from the Jedi set, why couldn't we get him in a regular release sometime this year?

we should have gotten that Jango as a single card, perhaps even the Boba

Just wait then...  out of the first 3 Evo sets, how many of the figures have been re-released in other sets and/or carded?  Just about all of them.

Deep down, we all know that at the very least the movie figures (Qui-Gon, Bultar, Jango, Boba) will all end up someplace else in the future.  Be it a Battle Pack, a Legends line, Box set, whatever...  you know we're going to see them again!
« Last Edit: March 6, 2008, 01:56 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 6, 2008, 02:30 PM »
Deep down, we all know that at the very least the movie figures (Qui-Gon, Bultar, Jango, Boba) will all end up someplace else in the future.  Be it a Battle Pack, a Legends line, Box set, whatever...  you know we're going to see them again!

That's pretty much the approach I've been taking and will continue to take.  They made the mold, the figure is sculpted, we'll see it again.  I got burned on the blackhole stormies, not going to happen again.  Nothing is urgent, especially once they stopped including a plethora of accessories. 

I think these may be priced worse for the US shoppers than us up north, even though ours are much more expensive.  Our regular figures are $9.xx up here anyway, so a $30 set is reasonable price even if it is stupidly high compared to the US retail.  For you guys these are rounding out at near $7 a pop, which is a price you still really aren't that used to even if it might represent the future.  I didn't mind getting the Sith set because I liked the Maul (I still really like the character and it was one of the few non-annoying things in TPM, until the end) and the other two Sith figures were interesting enough to warrant the purchase.  I expect all three will likely make it to individual retail in time, but I won't care at that point.  All the other sets I couldn't justify one or two of the figures, so a pass they got.