Author Topic: 2016 Hasbro 6" Fans' Choice Poll Discussion  (Read 18690 times)

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Hasbro 6" Fans' Choice Poll Discussion
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2016, 11:36 AM »
I can see both viewpoints, but if we've had the same lists for two years and virtually none of the "obvious" candidates have been made, then I'm not sure I can fully back that idea.

Sure Darth Revan might be kind of cool and all (full disclosure - I have no idea what EU story line or video game he is from), but I would much rather have a cool mainstream character (the JD top six) that we've been lacking since the line came out.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2016, 12:03 PM »
I see their viewpoint, too, but on the other hand, it's a fan poll so people can choose who they want, so people should be happy fans listed their choice and up-voted the choices others put down.  One might not agree with people's candidates but at least Hasbro has these polls.  I think Star Wars fans are some of the biggest complainers out there.

I just wonder if Hasbro would do Darth Talon if there were issues with Slave Leia's outfit and the resulting outcry from some in the public.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2016, 12:03 PM »
That's a nice list of figures I would buy.  Already one site's members are complaining about results, such as why (waste a) vote for obvious candidates.  Vote for X Obscure/EU character.

There's going to be plenty of griping and grousing about this process.  There always has been and always will be whenever there's a Fan's Choice Figure Poll.

When I was making the rounds at the participating sites yesterday I was beyond shocked to see one site where people were voting like crazy for Jaina Solo.  Seriously?  After all of that material got wiped out in the great EU/Legends purge so that the new Sequel Trilogy could start fresh, you go with Jaina Solo? Wow.

As for the 4-LOM/Zuckuss results?  I would definitely welcome either of them.  The TESB bounty hunters are still fertile ground.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2016, 12:20 PM »
That is an outstanding Top 6 that I am very proud to be associated with. Well done, Jedi Defenders!  :)

I agree with you Nick, that it seems pointless to vote for characters that are no longer canonical. Hasbro could and should have easily put that to bed by stipulating that you had to vote for someone from the 7 movies or 2 TV shows.

If they can make Rogue One off-limits, they sure as heck can make all the EU fan fiction stuff off limits too.

And those dips btching about "obvious choices" obviously haven't been paying attention because how many years has it been now and still no 3PO?!?!

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2016, 12:46 PM »
The holdup with C-3PO has definitely been curious.  The TFA version will be released later this year, but how many years has is been since the Black Series 6" line began?  It has to have been well before Lucasfilm was sold to Disney and TFA went into production.  But I have been hearing bits and pieces of information related to vac-metalized figures (like Threepio and Phasma) and how Hasbro has been searching for alternative finishes.  So I suspect that issue may have something to do with the delays there.

And regarding Darth Revan?  He came from the Bioware video game title Knights Of The Old Republic, which was probably one of the most popular Star Wars games of all time.

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2016, 01:02 PM »
if we've had the same lists for two years and virtually none of the "obvious" candidates have been made, then I'm not sure I can fully back that idea.

And those dips btching about "obvious choices" obviously haven't been paying attention because how many years has it been now and still no 3PO?!?!

I agree with you fellas.  To me, its a numbers game now.  There were 21 figures in the TFA line so far and what, like 17 were from TFA?  Just 4 (Kanan, Ahsoka, Farm Luke, Jango) that were not new movie stuff. 

If we're only getting 4-8 new OT/PT figures each year, you can't call stuff like Zuckuss or 4-LOM obvious anymore.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2016, 01:12 PM »
That's an interesting take on things.  That sort of trend is actually a little startling to see.  I think we'll get a better picture of how Hasbro will be able to integrate characters from sources other than the current movie cycle once we get past the whole ROGUE ONE release.  I suspect that the ANTHOLOGY/STAR WARS STORY films may have fewer offerings than the Saga/Numbered Episode films, but that's just speculation on my part.

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2016, 01:48 PM »
Well, the complaining is almost pathological at this point, so it's kind of expected.

The choices aren't bad, but I was hoping for a better showing for the Jawas who seemed like locks at one point. I don't think anything is a lock at this point now, and given this is supposed to be the collector line, the lack of collector minded figures (by and large) is definitely something to complain about.  ;) On the anthology films seeing less representation, I kind of think this one will, only because the initial plan was for Rogue One to hit in December, followed by VIII in May (now December '17). So Hasbro probably was far enough along in their planning window that this is going to be reflected somewhat. I think we see that a little in the plan for 6 inch figures in the fall, if rumors are true - a couple waves of Rogue One followed immediately by heavy doses of Saga characters. So with VIII being pushed back there's opportunity to backfill, but it will be interesting to see if what the offerings are in spring of 17.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2016, 01:59 PM »
Another thing with EU-type of winners: people will happy someone wins but then complain about the headache of trying to find the figure in store or online for a reasonable price because the scalpers eat them right up.  I don't really understand the EU hype, but that's me, and I'm happier for it since I haven't had my universe destroyed by the Disney purchase.  But I'm also happy for those that get their figures too.

Those are interesting numbers, Jeff.  With the new trilogy, I bought more 6" figures than I had thought I would...probably all but 5.  But only 1 OT & PT figure were released in the line (not including the two multi-packs) and the two Rebels figures (so far).  I guess 1 prequel figure makes sense since Disney wanted to distance itself from that trilogy... But there are some cool characters to come from those movies.

It also makes sense being a movie year that more of the focus is on that movie, but I really hope that Hasbro focuses on central figures in the movie than say lesser ones like Zuvio, Asty, or Guavian until the movie is out for a while to gauge their popularity accurately.  Maybe get some of the heroes and villains out and mix from the OT, PT and Rebels or EU in the next couple waves since the characters of the new movie aren't yet established? 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2016, 02:58 PM »
I look at our Top 6 here, and realize that I'm proud to be a part of this community and I'm in the right place. I would gladly take any of those, and the selection matches my top choices almost perfectly. Well done again JD. I have to agree with what others have been saying, I don't know that there are any "safe bets" anymore - specifically from the classics or prequels. We have seen how long it takes to even get to the main players (3PO, Obi, Leia, etc.) not to mention second or third tier mainstays like the bounty hunters, cantina, or Jabba goons.

I'm all for people getting to vote for who they want, and that's great, but the EU stuff is honestly sort of lost on me as well. It makes sense in the 3 3/4" line, where nearly everything movie-wise has been covered, but the 6" line still has so far to go to get to everything relevant from the movies. A character that I may want the most right now (Bespin Lando), is a somewhat main character who rarely gets figures - and when he does they aren't always super popular so who knows how many chances he will see. I'd much rather see the big guns and recognizable background characters/troops from the movies get covered before we dip too deep into EU stuff. I guess we'll see what the vote brings.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2016, 03:17 PM »
Hah complaining in Star Wars collecting?  Never!  I've found toy collectors in general just are kind of entitled.  This is just something for fun.  It doesn't mean your character won't be made some day, so I just look at it as a way Hasbro is trying to promote things, interact with the collectors, and give them almost a little game to try and get what they personally want. 

And of course there will be people who get pissy about it and miss the point.  Not one thing I voted for made our top 6 but I'm ok with that.

On the EU thing, I get why they allow it...  It's part of the lore.  They didn't make it suddenly stop existing.  It's all LFL material so I like that they let people dig into it and give a Revan type guy a chance at success.  Hell it still is getting picked up into new stuff here and there, like Rebels does.

If the people chose something from it more power to them.  Tons of it was pretty great.  A lot wasn't too. *shrugs*
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2016, 07:42 PM »
Someone on another forum said "collectors are the worst kinds of people". REMEMBER WHEN THOSE COLLECTORS KILLED ALL THOSE PEOPLE? Self-hate runs deep in the collector community.

Also, these things are always rigged. LOL.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2016, 12:35 AM »
Eh, speaking of just collectors, they are a fairly entitled group who like to pitch a fit...  :)

Me included at times, but there's a lot of kind of "armchair executives" in the hobby, and personally I think most of them are nuts.  Then again how do you argue with people who think Hasbro owes them something. 

I'd love to see the line swing back to something I'd like more than it is now too though.  6" collectors should be relatively happy though.  There's a lot of cool stuff in that line.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2016, 10:00 AM »
Eh, speaking of just collectors, they are a fairly entitled group who like to pitch a fit...  :)

Me included at times, but there's a lot of kind of "armchair executives" in the hobby, and personally I think most of them are nuts.  Then again how do you argue with people who think Hasbro owes them something. 

The entitlement is absolutely annoying.  Just because you have bought in to the line in a very enthusiastic manner does not mean that Hasbro or the Star Wars brand owe you anything.  It has never been and will never be any sort of a quid pro quo type of situation.  Once you can dial back your expectations in that respect, you'll probably be a lot happier in this hobby.

I get the idea of the Fan's Choice Poll as a vehicle for characters who might not have a chance otherwise.  I think Darth Revan is a prime example of the type of character who benefitted from the poll.  But Sabine?  I get the sense that Hasbro would have gotten around to her as they're already taking on REBELS characters in the 6" figure line.  I am glad to see Hera get some recognition in the current poll, but I'm left wondering WHERE IS EZRA?

But with the Legends EU being represented in the current toy line?  Personally, I think that with the new canon definitions, I would prefer to have the toy line focus on canon material.

Feedback

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2016, 11:42 AM »
Yeah that's a good list, and I would buy every single one of them. Also, props to JD for letting us all vote for 10 characters. I never understood the other sites only allowing one vote per person. Was it an issue of making things easier due to high traffic/submitted votes?

Jesse and I were discussing over Twitter about the Black Series figs versus the Japanese 6 inch lines (Medicom MAFEX, Bandai SH Figuarts, Revoltech), and Jesse had a good line about Hasbro being the "budget" line for collectors. It's expensive to collect the Japanese figures (roughly $50 per figure, give or take, plus overseas shipping) but you look at what they've done, and it blows Hasbro out of the water. You definitely get your moneys worth. Most of those lines have been around for 2 years at most, but they've tackled lots of stuff Hasbro probably won't get to for years with this pace. Mace Windu, TPM Obi-Wan, Battle Droids... there are even two versions of 3PO and R2, with more coming. Meanwhile from Hasbro we've gotten Luke in most of his movie outfits, a few troopers, and MAYBE a single figure for main characters like Han. I'm rambling here, so I guess the point I'm making is to agree that no figure is guaranteed to be made in this line.

The complaining is a tough issue to tackle because I know I'll end up sounding like a hypocrite somewhere haha. Legitimate gripes I'd say are paint apps and distribution, though I still don't know if that's Hasbro's fault or retail (or both).
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks