Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 356032 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #345 on: January 16, 2006, 12:50 PM »
Going tomorrow as well - with high expectations.

Eli Roth has given me nothing to base ANY expectations on, except that of that he won't give us anything original, which was the case with "Hostel", which I saw this past Monday. Interesting storyline marred with unnecessary and tasteless acts, and an overabundance of needless sex and misogeny.

Partially agree.  I based my expectations on the way they advertised it.  It looked like an original, serious, gritty, and violent horror movie with Tarentino's stamp of approval.  What it was, was a formula horror movie that took WAY too long to get going.  Sure enough they advertised it that way to get guys like me into the theater.  2 days after I saw it on opening night they had started airing commercials that set it up more like it actually was.... backpacking trip, 20 year old guys in Europe looking for ass and finding more than they bargained with B.S...

The only thing that saved it a little bit was that needless sex.  Those eastern European girls are awesome.  On the whole I was disappointed.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 17, 2006, 10:36 PM »
I skipped Casanova, much to my chagrin, to see Hostel on opening night, and man was I ever let down.

To sum up one guy out front of the Spectrum theatre:

"Dude, that movie was great at first, knockers and weed, and then it sucked."

Sucked indeed. I don't even smoke weed (nor have I ever) and I was wishing they would go back to that, to spare me.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 24, 2006, 08:56 PM »
Anybody read the Marvel article on upcoming projects; including movies, tv and animated series?  A few surprises in there.  Especially talk about the upcoming Hulk sequel as well as many other popular titles.  Here is the link:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=13316

I was pretty shocked that the Hulk was even being discussed due to the poor sales it had.  I'm in the minority here and liked it, so it was a pleasant surprise.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 20, 2006, 02:04 AM »
V for Vendetta, I loved it. I thought the cast was superb, with the surprising exception of Natalie Portman. The people I saw it with disagreed about that though. I have to admit though, I'm a sucker for those types of movies where one person stands against the machine, so if that's not your type of thing, it may not be for you. Also, I don't think it was intended, but there's definitely political statements relevant to current events, so be aware if you're of the conservative persuasion.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 25, 2006, 06:36 PM »
'Star Trek' set for '08 revival

Daily Variety said the action would center on the early days of "Star Trek" characters James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, including their first meeting at Starfleet Academy and first outer-space mission.

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 25, 2006, 06:53 PM »
Going tomorrow as well - with high expectations.

Eli Roth has given me nothing to base ANY expectations on, except that of that he won't give us anything original, which was the case with "Hostel", which I saw this past Monday. Interesting storyline marred with unnecessary and tasteless acts, and an overabundance of needless sex and misogeny.

I guess you never saw Cabin Fever then. Eli Roth loves that stuff and since it did well enough to garner a sequel alot of other people (including myself) did as well. After all it is a horror movie.

I remember my dream now.

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 26, 2006, 12:45 AM »
I saw it, twice actually. I don't know that you can do smut "well", to be honest. Horror fans aren't the most discriminating people I've come to learn.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 26, 2006, 01:21 AM »
Saw Silent Hill - was pleasantly suprised with how good it actually was.

It had some a few flaws, but IMO it's definitely the best video game movie to date.

Probably because Uwe Boll and Paul W.S. Anderson had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 26, 2006, 03:11 AM »
You mean live action, though, right? Cuz I think "Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children" is wearing the overall crown, right now.

BTW, I recommend "Thank You For Smoking". Charming little picture.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 03:11 AM by Cory H. »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 26, 2006, 09:33 AM »
I recommend Thank you for Smoking as well. Hysterical!
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 28, 2006, 05:42 PM »
Went and saw United 93 today at the first opening show.  I would say the theater was at least 3/4 full and half of those people by the ending were either crying or  on the verge of it.  The takeover was graphic and bloody so its probally something you wouldn't want to take kids too, if you think they were okay with seeing this movie about  Sept 11. The movie was a great as far as telling the story on what happened that day.  Was somewhat different then A&E "Flight 93" as this movie Minor Spoliers.
kept out all of the family members/outsiders who recieved phone calls from the plane.  The film kept the scenes on what was happening on the planes. 

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 4, 2006, 02:34 AM »
Anyone going to MI 3?

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 8, 2006, 12:55 PM »
No, it's hard to watch Cruise in movies ever since he went crazy.

When you are a celebrity I think you need to show a little restraint when it comes to the image you want to portray.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 8, 2006, 02:41 PM »
No, it's hard to watch Cruise in movies ever since he went crazy.

When you are a celebrity I think you need to show a little restraint when it comes to the image you want to portray.

This is so true.  I used to like these popcorn flicks but ever since his brain went AWOL I find him to be a total dick.  Especially if you had a wife who went through post partum which my wife did twice.  For him to characterize and sterotype women like he did with Brooke Shields was just so inappropriate.    They were talking this AM on the radio whether his past comments hurt ticket sales.  I would agree since all the women I know used to love him and cant stand him anymore.  I just hope his future puppet (wife) just comes out of all this before she is turned into another brainwashed nutcase.  What a waste :P

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 21, 2006, 11:43 PM »
I saw MI3 today and with low expectations, I was very entertained. I'm surprised that it's not doing better than it is.