Author Topic: Garfield  (Read 1619 times)

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Garfield
« on: June 19, 2003, 08:21 PM »
I don't know if anyone reads this strip on a daily basis but I have it delivered to my email box daily and this weeks strips go back to the beginning of 1978 when he was first created.  I have a HUGE Garfield collection (he has his very own Christmas tree) and now that I learned how to post pictures, here is today's strip!

« Last Edit: June 19, 2003, 08:24 PM by jadesfire »
Beth

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: Garfield
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2003, 08:27 PM »
Jim Davis was on one of the morning news shows today (NBC I think), and he was talking a lot about the past 25 years.  He actually wrote a book about the past 25 years.  It's called something like, "25 yrs old, in dog yrs I'd be dead."  It was a good interview with Jim Davis.  I don't own anything involving Garfield, but I've always liked his comic strip.
dustrho

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2003, 10:42 AM »
25 yrs. Been around awhile he has.

I have the first 10 books of the Daily Compilation Books.

Very good reading.

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2003, 10:52 AM »
It's interesting to see how Garfield developed visually from a new comic strip character to a licensed brand logo.

Has Jim Davis drawn a Garfield strip in the past ten years? I thought he had a studio of "assistants" that provided the art chores while he stuck to writing the gags.
Post sober.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2003, 11:04 AM »
This is one of only three strips I read daily, the other two being For Better or for Worse and Foxtrot, which is my personal fav.  The strips in the Boston Globe suck, no Blondie, Hagar or Beetle Bailey, just crap that doesn't interest me or is funny for that matter.

Its amazing to see the change everyone's favorite fat orange cat and company have gone through over the past 25 years.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2003, 11:23 AM »
And how funny is it that Bill Murray will be providing Garfield's voice for the movie? Talk about voiceover karma.
Post sober.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Garfield
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2003, 11:40 AM »
And how funny is it that Bill Murray will be providing Garfield's voice for the movie? Talk about voiceover karma.

Yep, a Garfield movie.  Garfield Movie

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 9, 2004, 04:40 PM »
*bump*

Garfield: The Movie

So..who's going?  I just KNOW I will end up seeing this before June is over.  It's like a train wreck, it's awful to watch but you can't seem to pulll yourself away.

Beth

SilverZ

« Reply #8 on: June 9, 2004, 10:23 PM »
Yeah, I feel a strange uncomfortable feeling when I see clips from this movie. It all seems like it was done with good intentions and no one stopped to tell them it just wasn't working.  :(

It feels sort of like watching the end of About a Boy when Marcus sings "Killing Me Softly".