Author Topic: Walmart Vintage Collection TIE Fighter  (Read 12823 times)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Walmart Vintage Collection TIE Fighter
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2022, 04:06 AM »
Vintage Collection TIE Fighter - $59.60 for Prime Day

Star Wars The Vintage Collection Imperial TIE Fighter

Nice, I'll take another Big TIE.
"This is the way."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2022, 10:11 AM »
One of the wings won’t stay on mine.  I want a refund. 

Does anyone know of a hack to fix that like the old AT-ST leg trick?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2022, 10:24 AM »
One of the wings won’t stay on mine.  I want a refund. 

Does anyone know of a hack to fix that like the old AT-ST leg trick?

Yours might have finally joined the "broke ass wing" club like others before it...   old post:

Has anyone had issues with the latch inside the wing sowing mechanism on their TVC TIE Fighter snapping over time?  This is the latch on the inside of the pylon, surrounded by the spring, that holds the wing in place and which when lifted, causes the wing to come off. There is a hooked end to the latch that snapped off. 

This happened to my first TVC TIE fighter after about a month, so I returned it and got a new version, only to have it happen again after about four months...  My TIE has been displayed standing on its wings on a shelf and I’m not using the “blast off wing” feature at all.  I’ve not had this issue with older TIE’s with the same feature, including TIE Interceptors.

Looked up this thread so I could complain and lo and behold, tmanthegreat beat me to it.  Same thing he describes above happened to my TVC Walmart Big Wing TIE... 

Found my TVC Walmart Big Wing TIE in pieces today - one wing and cockpit ball on the floor, one wing still on the table.  Tried to put the wings back on and neither would stay on.  Shook the cockpit ball a bit and heard the little hook/latches rattling around.  Took apart the ball and yep - plastic on both wing latch mechanisms was really dry/brittle with the ends broken off.

I'm guessing one wing latch must have broken, then the spring pushed the wing and ball apart.  The other wing likely broke when the ball/wing hit the hardwood floor. :( 

I'm sure I can find a way to permanently attach the wings for long-term display, but thought I would post a word of warning to you guys (or, in this case draw attention back to tmanthegreat's original word of warning).

I "fixed" mine like tman described...

I removed the springs from my TIE by simply unscrewing they upper and lower halves of the cockpit ball. Then I wrapped some duct tape around the wing pegs so they stay in their sockets securely, but can still be removed if desired. My TIE has probably sat on its wings for over a year And a half now without any issues.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 10:27 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2022, 11:07 AM »
^ that sounds like a pretty good fix. I was just planning on a superglue approach, but this makes much more sense.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram