Author Topic: The Book of Boba Fett (SPOILERS possible)  (Read 15535 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: The Book of Boba Fett (Spoilers)
« Reply #165 on: February 3, 2022, 03:54 PM »
Have any of you guys read anything about how they're doing the voice for Luke?

Is it Mark Hamill recording and then sound engineers making him sound younger?  Is it a voice actor who's just really good and doing young Mark Hamill?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 3, 2022, 04:02 PM »

Is it Mark Hamill recording and then sound engineers making him sound younger?  Is it a voice actor who's just really good and doing young Mark Hamill?

Per Esquire:
"So we don't yet know the specifics of Skywalker's digital resurrection in The Book of Boba Fett. All we know is that the episode credits an actor named Scott Lang as Skywalker's stunt double, and Graham Hamilton as the performance artist."

...Ant that my friends is how the Star Wars and Marvel universes will collide. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 3, 2022, 05:43 PM »
Still interesting that everyone walks everywhere.

I thought the same thing - especially the blue guy walking across the desert.  It was bad ass when he walked into town, but a little silly when he left with no ride.

Even Cobb Vanth seems to walk back to town from the moisture vaporator farm.  No speeder in sight (which I'm sure would have tipped off the Pykes to his arrival)

I did not like the choice presented to Grogu at the end though.  I understand the symbolism, but why can't he have both things?  Obi-Wan wore armor during the Clone Wars. Doesn't Shaak Ti wear Togruta jewelry, cloths, and body paint?  I thought it was kind of silly to make him choose in that way.

Or their own colored Jedi Starfighters, their own specialized clothing (you mentioned Shaak Ti, but what about Luminara, Barriss, Aayla?)?  Rules were being broken all the time in regard to the attachment rule.

I'm pretty sure the dark horse comics stated that Ki-adi Mundi's race was very lopsided and had barely enough men to go around. This permitted him to be married and have kids. Maybe some baby mamas... who knows?

I'm a little bored with the attachment thing. I like that Luke brings up Grogu's age in relation to others, but its also kind of dumb that a race that lives that long has to adopt rules from people with the lifespan of a rodent.

The episode was pretty rad in general though. Luke looked so convincing I thought maybe they had brought in Sebastian Stan and done away with the CGI.
Macklunkey!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 3, 2022, 05:55 PM »

Matthew Wood, who has been working on a lot of the sound for Star Wars spoke about it in the Disney Gallery BTS show that discussed Luke’s return in The Mandalorian.  They’ve built a library of Mark Hamill’s dialogue from that time period, including his OT performances on set, ADR sessions, the Star Wars radio plays and interviews.  They use all of that in conjunction with AI to help construct the vocal performance.  No doubt because Mark Hamill’s voice now is quite different.  It’s something natural that happens when people get into their late 30’s, and you can observe this with a good number of singers whose vocal range changes over time. 

I suspect that Mark Hamill assisted in building the acting performance.  And his dialogue on set might have served as a guide for the AI to construct the de-aged voice.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 4, 2022, 08:48 AM »
I was surprised to see Cad Bane get pulled in to this and had assumed we'd see Dengar, Bossk, or others pulled in on Boba's side before we'd see Cad Bane.  Either way it was a nice surprise.

Another interesting episode with virtually no Boba Fett.  There was maybe a little too much Luke and Grogu, but its hard not to like anything with Luke or Grogu in it.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 4, 2022, 09:26 AM »
Still interesting that everyone walks everywhere.

Okay, I have to retract this.  It's obvious that Cad Bane walked into Freedomtown after parking outside of town just like Deputy Scott asked Mando to do.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 4, 2022, 09:37 AM »
Another interesting episode with virtually no Boba Fett.  There was maybe a little too much Luke and Grogu, but its hard not to like anything with Luke or Grogu in it.

I could watch ten seasons of deep fake Luke doing Jedi Academy things.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #172 on: February 4, 2022, 12:28 PM »

I could watch ten seasons of deep fake Luke doing Jedi Academy things.

Same.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 5, 2022, 03:44 PM »
I love the Jawa’s new hood ornament for their Sandcrawler.

If they ever do a HasLab Sandcrawler I hope it has a Krayt dragon skull on it.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 5, 2022, 09:02 PM »
If they ever do a HasLab Sandcrawler I hope it has a Krayt dragon skull on it.

That would be an awesome stretch goal.  I would think this would have to be on the radar for a HasLab since it could be used for ANH, Mando, and TBoBF though I wonder if there would be some restrictions considering Disney Parks offers one, albeit at a much smaller scale.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 7, 2022, 10:10 AM »

I read somewhere yesterday that Hamill did nothing for BoB other than lend his likeness.  The voice was build by a machine-learning process that they fed the raw dialog of the OT and the radio dramas. 

To be honest, as cool as the voice is, it really seems artificial to me.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 7, 2022, 11:10 AM »
[quote author=Qui-Gon Jim link=topic=25301.msg627784#msg627784 date=1644246647

I read somewhere yesterday that Hamill did nothing for BoB other than lend his likeness.  The voice was build by a machine-learning process that they fed the raw dialog of the OT and the radio dramas. 

[/quote]

My wife and I remarked that it was very much like the stylization they did for Data's android voice back in ST:TNG. I was actively listening to see if Luke would use any contractions!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 7, 2022, 12:26 PM »

I thought it sounded a bit artificial as well, but I don't know if that was because it was obvious or because I was instantly looking for it.  I'm guessing it was a lot more noticeable to SW super fans than the general public or kids. Still amazing that they can even do this.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #179 on: February 8, 2022, 10:42 AM »
Still trying to wrap my head around how tomorrow's episode can be a satisfying conclusion to TBOBF Season 1.

Like, can they have a whole crime war with the Pyke Syndicate in one episode?  Can they really do something big enough to chase the Pykes off Tatooine in one episode?  Is BF gonna lose or have to surrender to the Pykes just so that him and Fennec are then free to join Din/Grogu for TM Season 3?  Is he gonna ride that Rancor? 

How do they bring the focus back to Boba Fett being the "hero" of his own show when everyone is just craving more Mando/Grogu/Luke at this point?
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender