Author Topic: MNF With the Manning Brothers  (Read 6133 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
MNF With the Manning Brothers
« on: September 14, 2021, 01:59 PM »
I don't know if any of you watched MNF last night on ESPN2 with the live commentary from Peyton and Eli Manning, but it was absolutely glorious!  They need the straight up Monday Night Football gig!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
Re: MNF With the Manning Brothers
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 03:16 PM »
I don't know if any of you watched MNF last night on ESPN2 with the live commentary from Peyton and Eli Manning, but it was absolutely glorious!  They need the straight up Monday Night Football gig!

I didn't realize that was going on.  I wish I did as I don't really care for the crew that they have working the games this year - Steve Levy, Brian Griese, and Louis Riddick.

Are the Manning Bros going to do this each week on The Deuce?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 03:28 PM »
I read that they are doing 10 weeks.  See if you can find some clips...they were fantastic!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 10:06 AM »
I caught a few clips this morning - I'll have to remember to watch for this on Mondays.  Not even sure if I get ESPN2...?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 10:30 AM »
Another solid week for the Manning Bros and their guests.  Pat McAfee was hilarious.

I flipped back and forth a few times between broadcasts but ended up watching 90% with the Mannings.  The main crew is just so stiff and boring, and the Mannings are pretty good and funny.

One thing I do wish they would do with the Mannings is not necessarily show their Zoom call faces quite as much.  They should just have the game on without as much Manning face time.  There usually isn't a ton to see with the Mannings unless they've got a guest on that is really animated like Pat McAfee.  Maybe pull their faces up periodically during slower times of the game.

I'll keep mostly watching the Mannings going forward.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 11:28 AM »
The last two weeks I thought I didn't have ESPN2 so I haven't checked this out yet, turns out I was just looking at the wrong channel where I thought it used to be.  I'm definitely switching over to them next week.  Levy and Griese and the third guy are boring, pedestrian... cliche... it's sad how far MNF has fallen since Gruden and Tirico left. 

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 11:23 AM »
Another solid week for the Manning Bros and their guests.  Pat McAfee was hilarious.

I flipped back and forth a few times between broadcasts but ended up watching 90% with the Mannings.  The main crew is just so stiff and boring, and the Mannings are pretty good and funny.

One thing I do wish they would do with the Mannings is not necessarily show their Zoom call faces quite as much.  They should just have the game on without as much Manning face time.  There usually isn't a ton to see with the Mannings unless they've got a guest on that is really animated like Pat McAfee.  Maybe pull their faces up periodically during slower times of the game.

I'll keep mostly watching the Mannings going forward.

Ditto to all that.  They are definitely better than the regular announcers, but the show is a kind of low production in terms of pulling it all together.  There are a number of times where you're just looking at "E" and "Pey" as they watch the game and no one is saying anything.  That would just look a lot better if they went full screen to the game versus the awkward silence (though sometimes that's part of whta's funny).  Love the commentary with them breaking down defenses and the guest stars.  I'll keep watching ESPN2 on MNF.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2021, 02:13 PM »
I'd love to see the ratings of the two broadcasts to see which is better.  My guess is that ESPN2 is blowing the regular MNF broadcast out of the water!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2021, 02:56 PM »
I enjoy this as a gimmick here and there but will take the "regular" broadcast for a majority of the game.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2021, 04:17 PM »
I'd love to see the ratings of the two broadcasts to see which is better.  My guess is that ESPN2 is blowing the regular MNF broadcast out of the water!

I don't know how they compare, but I did read that the Manning broadcast doubled in ratings from week 1 to week 2.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2021, 04:35 PM »
Stats I looked up showed that the Manningcast accounted for 5% of week 1 viewership and 13% of week 2 viewership.

I'm not sure how much they're advertising the Manningcast, but I saw absolutely nothing about it before Week 1.  So 13% of the viewer mix is probably pretty dang good considering they've put very little (no?) promotional effort in to it.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2021, 10:25 PM »
Stats I looked up showed that the Manningcast accounted for 5% of week 1 viewership and 13% of week 2 viewership.

I'm not sure how much they're advertising the Manningcast, but I saw absolutely nothing about it before Week 1.  So 13% of the viewer mix is probably pretty dang good considering they've put very little (no?) promotional effort in to it.

I've seen nothing on ads - its all word of mouth.  I mentioned it to guys in other FF leagues and at work and none of them had heard of it before that.  Pretty impressive.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2021, 09:59 AM »
I love the banter between the two of them.  Last night Peyton was saying Eli wears boy's medium pants, and made fun of him for not wearing shoes.  Eli making fun of Peyton's head never gets old.

The next few weeks MNF is going to suck because they aren't going to do their show.  Back for week 7.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2021, 12:02 PM »
I resubbed to YouTube TV recently so I checked this broadcast out last night for the Cowboys game. It was really fun, and felt like when my friends and I gather to watch football together. Just some guys hanging out and shooting the you-know-what. The special guests were cool too (They brought in Matt Stafford, LeBron James, and Nick Saban in different quarters).
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks