Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Dune
« Reply #15 on: September 9, 2020, 11:10 AM »
They had me at Dennis Villenueve.

This.

He's made five stellar movies...I'll watch anything he makes from here on out.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #16 on: September 9, 2020, 02:43 PM »
First Official Trailer.

Holy ****!  This looks amazing!  The Pink Floyd is a nice touch.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2021, 01:27 AM »
Anyone have any thoughts?

I've read all six of Frank Herbert's Dune books. Ignoring most people saying his son's Dune books aren't good, am I ok moving straight into the two books that finish Frank's second trilogy or do I need to read the Butlerian Jihad trilogy first? I've seen enough spoilers to know that back story is helpful since it was written first.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 01:28 AM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #18 on: November 5, 2021, 04:27 AM »
So Dune was ******* incredible. Easily one of the best movies I have seen in years, it's a true work of art.
"This is the way."

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 5, 2021, 09:24 AM »
My son who read the first book really liked it.  My wife and I, who haven't read the books, felt it was a bit slow.  Not terrible, but slower than it needed to be.

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 5, 2021, 09:37 AM »
I don't think a Dune movie can be too slow which is why it is so hard to make it into a movie.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #21 on: November 5, 2021, 10:10 AM »
I saw it in IMAX last weekend and I highly recommend seeing it in that format if you are able to.  Dennis Villenueve is such a visual storyteller and Dune is arguably his best film to date.

I'm glad there was little to no exposition in this film....I think that was one of the things that killed the 1985 David Lynch film.  Well, that and taking an elaborate hand-to-hand fighting style and turning it into a voice box that shoots bullets.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 6, 2021, 12:48 AM »
Finally got to see it tonight. Loved it. 1000 times better than Lynch's version. Gonna be tough to wait two years for the rest.

I didn't find it slow at all. In fact it flew by. Both as far as the time itself but also how quickly they moved story along. I wish it could have been 30 minutes longer to give us a little more of the stuff they cut. I think that opinion may be split down the read the book / didn't read the book lines.

I'm thrilled I bought the four McFarlane figures with the BAF fifth figure too.
« Last Edit: November 6, 2021, 12:49 AM by GrandMoffNick »

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 6, 2021, 12:53 AM »
Anyone have any thoughts?

I've read all six of Frank Herbert's Dune books. Ignoring most people saying his son's Dune books aren't good, am I ok moving straight into the two books that finish Frank's second trilogy or do I need to read the Butlerian Jihad trilogy first? I've seen enough spoilers to know that back story is helpful since it was written first.

No one cared / had an opinion when I asked this but in hopes more people read the books with this movie out I'll say I'm glad I read the prequel Butlerian Jihad trilogy before reading the last two books that finished the second "trilogy". It was nice to have Omnius, Erasmus, etc backstory.